PDA

View Full Version : What to do with baby girl hair?

Dr C
02-05-2011, 06:47 PM
DD is 15 months old and I am at a loss for what to do with her hair. Please help!

The main problem is her bangs. They now hang down to nose level and are perpetually covered in green snot (hey, it's February). To be honest, they bother me more than they bother her. We had been hoping to avoid bangs and just tie her hair out of her face but that's not working so well. Bows (we have only tried alligator clips) are useless, as she immediately pulls them out and tries to eat them. She looks very cute if I use small rubber bands (which she can't pull out easily) to pull her hair into two pigtails on either side of her head (a la Shrek) or into one ponytail on the top of her head (a la Cindy-Lou Who) but DH, who is a SAHD, states that he is not capable of doing rubber bands. (I am out of the house before DD gets up, so it's all him!)

Any other suggestions on how to tie back baby girl hair (something DH can easily install AND that DD cannot easily UN-install?)
Or should I just cut bangs? Any caveats on this? How far back on the head should the "bangs" start?
Can I teach DH how to do rubber bands? (the catch here is that I suspect he really doesn't want to learn)
Should I just let DD run around with snot-encrusted bangs stuck to her nose? DH and DD seem perfectly fine with this arrangement--I am the only one who minds.

TIA for any and all suggestions!

amatahrain
02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
No advice... I have the same exact problem with my 13 month old! Crusty boggie bangs! I can't bring myself to cut them and she doesn't tolerate a hair clip for very long. I'm wishing they would just hurry up and grow so that I can tuck them behind her ears.

Ceepa
02-05-2011, 07:14 PM
If your DD is at the age of pulling out clips and DH isn't going to do rubber bands then I would cut bangs. That way they're not a problem for DH or DD. For bangs I would just conservatively trim the hair that is right in front in her face. You can start with small trims and then cut more if the bangs need to go shorter or wider.

DrSally
02-05-2011, 10:22 PM
I just gave up and did bangs. DD wouldn't keep barrettes in her hair and I find the elastic too "pulling"/tough on hair to use everyday.

HIU8
02-05-2011, 10:25 PM
I also did bangs (of course DD looks so much better in bangs than with all that hair). Now, however, I put her hair up every single day and she is totally fine with it. We may grow her bangs out and see how she now looks (she is 3 1/2).

smiles33
02-05-2011, 10:33 PM
I think you should just teach your DH. My DH is better at doing pigtails than I am now as he does DD1's every morning (dD2 and I leave early).

Uno-Mom
02-05-2011, 10:40 PM
If DH is a SAHM, he better start his hair-styling lessons soon, anyway!

We have the same problem. Usually just try to shove Sprog's hair behind her ears. I haven't tried any hair accessories because ... aren't they all choking hazards??? That was our fear, anyway.

Uno-Mom
02-05-2011, 10:43 PM
OK ... Dr Sally ... so I just noticed the smiley on your signature.

:bighand: to your son. That's freakin hilarious.

(Sorry for going OT.)

Dr C
02-05-2011, 10:44 PM

I keep telling him this. I think he's in denial. :ROTFLMAO:

egoldber
02-05-2011, 10:46 PM

:yeahthat:

Truly, if my DH can learn to do it ANYONE can. Really. He just needs to practice.

newg
02-05-2011, 10:47 PM
what about something like this?
http://www.goody.com/#/grid/girls/products/gentle_ponytailers

DH has just had to practice, but he's getting better. He likes these softer pony tail holders.....they are a bit thicker, and can stretch out a bit more.

As for bows.....if you do something a bit more than just a clip.....http://www.amazon.com/bright-grosgrain-My-Little-Noggin/dp/B003VAMLZI/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1296960339&sr=8-5 when she takes it out, then it wouldn't be as much of a choking hazard.
My DD1 just had to get use to having bows in her hair. Now she loves picking a bow out to put in her hair.
what about a headband? That wouldn't be any kind of choking hazard.

Snow mom
02-05-2011, 11:44 PM
We have a similar problem, although I don't think DD has enough hair to do a rubber band. I just sweep the hair out of her face as much as I can. I don't want her to have bangs and I know that if I cut them I'd regret it. It would just be the same process over again to grow them out. IIWY I'd teach DH to do the bands or accept the booger bangs (in the privacy of your home) for a few months.

twowhat?
02-06-2011, 12:37 AM
We used those tiny little rubber bands...can't remember which brand (Goody?) They're not really rubber bands but made from something stretchy that doesn't pull on the hair (but grips well enough to not slide out). We tied a ponytail right on top of the head, so that it stuck straight up (haha). I thought it was cute:)

MamaMolly
02-06-2011, 01:03 AM
I cut Lula's bangs and regretted it ever since. She's finally letting them grow out, but man oh man, if you think booger bangs are a PITA now just wait until you have to trim that stuff. Sharp scissors + wiggily baby+ eyeballs = craptastic haircuts. And cutting them while they sleep? Yeah, the only person I know IRL who told me to do that had the *most* raggimuffin-ist looking kids. Nope, nope, nope.

Your DH is smart. He just needs to man up to the challenge. I suggest he look here, and get inspired. He will be amazed at what he's capable of once he gets that fire lit under him. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105073&id=91842515863

llama8
02-06-2011, 08:15 AM
I am still waiting for my 14 month DD to have enough hair to tie back. We are rocking a lengthy baby mullet at the moment.

Anything I put in her hair, she just pulls out.

DrSally
02-06-2011, 01:19 PM
OK ... Dr Sally ... so I just noticed the smiley on your signature.

:bighand: to your son. That's freakin hilarious.

(Sorry for going OT.)

:rotflmao: He loves that smilie, but I felt I had to add the explaination :rotflmao:

MoJo
02-06-2011, 01:48 PM
My suggestion is headbands, with the caveat that my almost 3-year-old doesn't yet have long enough hair to have the problem you're describing. . . but she likes her headbands. She has a mean cowlick right in front, so my hairdresser's 2nd comment on meeting her was, "no bangs for her!" So we'll do everything we can to avoid cutting bangs.

boogiemomz
02-06-2011, 02:42 PM
I suggest he look here, and get inspired. He will be amazed at what he's capable of once he gets that fire lit under him. http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=105073&id=91842515863

Wow. Just... wow. I have a headache. :dizzy:

Just adding my voice to the chorus. Hair all in her face and snotty bangs with every cold. It drives my mom crazy; she has bought DD 4 different kinds of bows, barrettes, and ponytail holders. She pulls them right out. Don't think I have it in me to take scissors to her just yet, maybe I'll try those gentle ponytailers. Sigh.