PDA

View Full Version : How long did you use the swing and bouncy seat with your baby?

citymama
02-06-2011, 05:00 AM
We're moving soon and trying to purge what we can. Should we hang on to the swing and bouncy seat? DD2 is almost 9 months old. I am inclined to hang on to one of them so we'll have a safe place to put DD2 down during the chaos of the move. How long did you use each of those things with your baby? I'm pretty sure DD1 was done with both by 9 or 10 months.

Eta: we have an FP infant to toddler rocker and full sized aquarium swing.

MoJo
02-06-2011, 08:11 AM
My 8 mo old outgrew the bouncy seat a couple of months ago and her swing last week. Outgrew as in tries so hard to get out that it's no longer a safe place to put her, even though she used to like them both a lot.

My oldest lasted 'til about 9 months in the swing and never liked her bouncy seat.

I agree that your time with them is probably very limited, but if they are working for you now, I'd at least keep them until you leave your current place or your DD outgrows them. If she's still using them at move time, I'd see how small they go. My bouncy seat actually folds flat and has a carrying bag, so I wouldn't hesitate to move it.

Now, Ha's safe places are her crib, PNP, and exersaucer. . . but really, she just wants to be free on the floor.

llama8
02-06-2011, 08:13 AM
Mine was out of the bouncy by 5 months and the swing by 6 months at the latest. She never really loved the swing.

crl
02-06-2011, 09:37 AM
We got rid of the bouncy around 6 months because dd was trying to crawl into it and I figured it was a hazard. We got ride of the swing around 8 months because she hadn't been happy in it for a month or so and I figured we must be near the weight limit anyway (dd is big).

Is there good moving news from you, I hope?

Catherine

♥ms.pacman♥
02-06-2011, 10:42 AM
my ds loved the swing and bouncy seat, but sadly grew out of them around 6-7mos. at 9mos, it would have been a hazard more than anything, as DS would have been able to climb in/out. at that age a PnP was the safest place to put my DS when we needed to have him confined somewhere

zag95
02-06-2011, 01:05 PM
We grew out of the swing at around 8 mos- and the bouncer we have is the FP Infant to Toddler rocker, which DD is still using at the age of 3 as a little seat! (Weight limit goes to 40 lbs)

jvs195
02-06-2011, 03:22 PM
Both pretty early and were never long distractions. I got a lot more use from the exersaucer and pack n play.

BabyBearsMom
02-07-2011, 01:39 PM
DD used the swing until she was about 6 months. Then every time I put her in it, she would try to role over and would scream. The bouncy chair we used a little longer, maybe until 7 months. DD is very large for her age though, and extremely active as well, so anything that held her stationary was not something she liked.

RunnerDuck
02-07-2011, 02:07 PM
My son was out of the swing at 9 months, but my girls were in it till a year (they were smaller, and we ghetto rigged it to run on electricity, which is why we used it longer)

Bouncey my son never liked much (Fisher Price), but my girls got the Boppy bouncers which they used until they were 2+. They're roomy and awesome.

lizzywednesday
02-07-2011, 03:02 PM
DD outgrew the bouncy seat around 7 months and the swing about when she decided she'd rather sit up. I kept both around in case my younger nephew came to visit & needed a spot to sit, but the seat from the swing is on its way to be washed & put away.

TwinFoxes
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
My DDs were very old when we got rid of the swing. They loved that thing, and they STILL could meet the weight requirements. But after a certain point they were to daring and athletic...they were practically putting on a Cirque du Soleil show. They'd climb in by themselves, and play around with it. I'd say 17 (14 adjusted) months for the swing.

The bouncy seat was never quite as popular. But again, DDs were small, so 11 months (8 adjusted) I'm guessing, but very rarely those last few months.

Here's a funny aside, we were in Target the other day, and there's a Graco swing that has a similar pattern to their old swing, and D (who REALLY loved it) said "that's D's swing, D likes the swing"! That swing went to the consignment sale a year ago, I'm so shocked she remembers it.

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Bouncy seat till 5m, swing was never a hit.

Beth

lchang25000
02-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Bouncy seat until 6 months, swing until 6.5 months.

mom2khj
02-07-2011, 04:26 PM
DS is almost 5 months and we haven't used the swing/bouncy seat in a few weeks. He is big for his age and it was a space saver swing bouncy seat combo though, so that made a difference. We had a full size swing and separate bouncy seat for DD's and I'm pretty sure we used them much longer. I want to say maybe until they could sit unassisted.

MommyAllison
02-07-2011, 08:52 PM
Bouncy seat went away as soon as they were sitting independently, because they'd try to sit up in it and then almost flip the seat over. Swing, probably around the time they started crawling. Done with them around 6 months, I guess.

elephantmeg
02-07-2011, 10:48 PM
I'd say get an exersaucer. My kids were out of both swing and buncy by that age. They also liked the johnny jump up thing