PDA

View Full Version : How long before your period returned?

dukie41181
02-06-2011, 09:25 AM
I have never had a regular cycle in my life. Maybe a handful a year at best at least in the memorable past. I was diagnosed with PCOS before having daughter #1 and figured my cycles would continue to be sporatic for the rest of my life as long as I had this condition. I breastfed my daughter until she self-weaned around 13 months (the smart cookie must have know I was pregnant!) And my supply decreased. So I surprisingly became pregnant a second time with I think one or two cycles in there somewhere since daughter #1's birth. So now daughter #2 was born (12 weeks ago today!) And I'm experiencing some bright red bleeding that would be characteristic of a menstrual cycle. So I'm 3 months post-partum and breastfeeding. I think I'm confused because my cycles have never before been regular (this doesn't of course mean thyre going to be regular) and I had something similar (but lighter) around 8 weeks that I attributed to post-partum bleeding (which it very well may have been but now I'm wondering). So when did your cycle return? And does anyone know if PCOS can be "cured" so to say? The only reason I ask about the PCOS part is that after I had daughter #1 I lost about 20lbs and began taking better care of myself (eating better and being more regular with my exercise). I hope this isn't too confusing!

ourbabygirl
02-06-2011, 09:48 AM
7 months after DD was born,
3-3.5 months after DS was born.
Yuck! ;)

SunCB
02-06-2011, 10:10 AM
No real answer for you as every one is different. DS1 was 7 months, DS2 was about 20 months when I got preggo w/DD as that was my 1st egg and would of been 1st cycle, DD is 20 months now and I have very light spotting twice and 2 days where it was a little more than spotting with light spotting for couple days after that so I am not sure if that was my cycle or not. I am charting so we will see here very soon bc there is a chance I O'ed but not all signs are very clear.

Had a friend come back at like 12 wks w/her 1st and then 6 months w/#2.

We are all just so different.

DietCokeLover
02-06-2011, 10:18 AM
With DD, it came back at about 6 to 8 wks pp. (and yes, I was nursing). DS was conceived immediately.

With DS, it came back around 8 weeks (and yes, I was nursing that time too).

brgnmom
02-06-2011, 10:46 AM
w/ my first, my cycles were back to normal about 1-2 months postpartum.

w/ my DD, I haven't gotten my period yet and I'm almost 3 months postpartum. Kind of unexpected since I've been supplementing. I do nurse at night though, although she's been sleeping for longer stretches at night (5-6 hours).

Here's another thread related to this topic. ;) http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=384904

I can't really comment on the PCOS topic, but maybe you can bring that up w/ your obgyn or primary care physician and see what s/he thinks.

PGTB
02-06-2011, 02:59 PM
It was 6.5 months or so for me. And then the second one only came 2.5 months later. They are not regular yet and DS is 9 months old. I am also BFing and DS is not too much into solids yet.

dec756
02-06-2011, 03:29 PM
2 months after finished nursing so dc was about 13 months old

KLD313
02-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Mine came about 8 wks after I had DD and I was nursing and supplementing.

artvandalay
02-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Going on 8 months postpartum here.. no sign of it. I'm exclusively breastfeeding, too.

SnuggleBuggles
02-06-2011, 06:55 PM
PCOS- if you lose weight and get in shape, a lot of the side effects are supposed to go away. They did for me. PCOS supposedly doesn't ever officially go away but the symptoms can.

When I am in good shape, my periods are pretty darned regular. I have hypo-thyroid (Hashimoto's) as well and if those meds are off my cycles can be too.

My pd returned at 9-10m with both boys. They were still nursing.

Beth

Katigre
02-06-2011, 09:39 PM
The only reason I ask about the PCOS part is that after I had daughter #1 I lost about 20lbs and began taking better care of myself (eating better and being more regular with my exercise). I hope this isn't too confusing!
I know people with PCOS whose cycles regulated (compared to before) when they took those steps. For some that is when they were able to conceive after years of infertility. It wouldn't surprise me if you had your cycles back but they may not resume regularly for awhile due to nursing - watch for fertile cervical fluid to indicate potential ovulation and see if that correlates with a period about two weeks later.

AnnieW625
02-08-2011, 01:14 PM
DD1: 2/1/2 mos., exactly 4 weeks after I went in and got the mini pill. I was still breast feeding.
DD2: 4 mos., I got it a month after I weaned her and I was no longer on the mini pill.

Kind of strange as I went without it longer with DD2 although I did exactly the same thing and started the mini pill at 6 or 7 weeks pp.

chottumommy
02-08-2011, 01:22 PM
Both my sister and I have PCOS, though we never had any weight issues (both of us are size 2, my sister might even be size 1), no acne and no oily skin, no hair loss, no fertility problems and no problems with breastfeeding. But our periods were always irregular. PCOS was diagnosed using ultrasound.

After my sister has her daughter her period returned at 6 weeks postpartum and her cycles became regular to about 38 days. She nursed her daughter till about 16 months.

Same with me. I had my son and after that got my period 6 weeks postpartum and then my cycles were regular to about 42 days till I became pregnant again. I breastfed my son till I was 3 months pregnant.

Not sure if my PCOS got cured (since I don't have any outside symptoms) but hopefully my cycle will regulate again after this pregnancy. I do yoga with an instructor who is great with women's issues, not sure if that played a role.