PDA

View Full Version : Need circus menu ideas for Water for Elephants book club

justlearning
02-07-2011, 12:16 PM
I'm hosting our book club this week and we're discussing Water for Elephants.

So I'm looking for some appetizer, dessert, and drink ideas that would fit the book's circus theme. In the book watermelon and lemonade are also mentioned.

I'm wanting to capture the playfulness of circus food but have the food be tasty as well.

Any suggestions?

ETA that I can't serve peanuts unfortunately due to DS' severe nut allergies (don't want them in our home).

zoestargrove
02-07-2011, 12:39 PM
What a fun idea!

popcorn and peanuts would be easy and definitely fit the theme.

Fried dough? My mom use to make this for us. She would buy bread/pizza dough at the store, chop it into smaller portions, flatten it a bit and fry. They we'd sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

justlearning
02-07-2011, 12:41 PM
What a fun idea!

popcorn and peanuts would be easy and definitely fit the theme.

Fried dough? My mom use to make this for us. She would buy bread/pizza dough at the store, chop it into smaller portions, flatten it a bit and fry. They we'd sprinkle with cinnamon sugar or powdered sugar.

Thanks for the ideas! I'm going to edit my post now to say that I can't serve peanuts unfortunately due to DS' severe nut allergies (don't want them in our home).

katydid1971
02-07-2011, 12:42 PM
How about cotton candy martinis?

crl
02-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Pigs in a blanket
Hot pretzels

Catherine

Tondi G
02-07-2011, 01:25 PM
Hot dogs, pretzels, popcorn, lemonade, fruit salad or skewers maybe?

lil smokies rolled in crescent dough are a cute idea in place of hot dogs.

ilfaith
02-07-2011, 02:10 PM
Don't forget those orange marshmallow "Circus Peanuts"

http://www.spanglercandy.com/candy-store/circus-peanuts/circus-peanuts-12oz

The friend who hosted my book club when we read this book served these along with hot dogs, popcorn, cotton candy, and animal crackers. We were on quite the sugar rush.

zoestargrove
02-07-2011, 03:13 PM
My first thought was of those orange circus peanut candies too- but I didn't know they still made them. Animal crackers are a perfect idea!