PDA

View Full Version : What kind of ipad do you have?

arivecchi
02-07-2011, 12:53 PM
What do you like/not like about it?

Would you get a different one? If so, why?

Which accessories would you recommend?

nellonello
02-07-2011, 01:06 PM
I have the 32 GB with WiFi + 3G.

I think if I were to do it again I would get the 64GB without 3G. I have only used the 3G a few times and since I have a SmartPhone, I really don't need that capability. I would want to get the bigger capacity so that I could hold more movies as it is great for when we are out with the kids.

mom2khj
02-07-2011, 01:08 PM
We have a 32GB Wifi only version. We love it. I'm an Apple fan though!

Now that I know you can turn the 3G on and off as needed and only pay for what you use (at least that's what I've read) I would really consider getting the one with 3G instead. I hadn't read this when we bought ours and we figured 3G wasn't necessary for us. So far (we've had it a few months) we have not missed it.

The only accessories we have are a slip in case and a microfiber cloth for cleaning the the screen.

Gena
02-07-2011, 02:06 PM
DS has a 64GB WiFi only version. (My brother bought it for him and I told him that a 6 year old does not need 3G service.)

We have these accessories:

Otterbox Defender case: Highly recommend it, especially if kids will be using the iPad.

Boxwave Capacitive Stylus: We have apps to help DS with his writing skills, so this comes in handy. And there are some apps that just seem easier to use with the stylus instead of finger-touch. My parents have the Pogo Sketch Stylus for their iPad, but I like the Boxwave better.

Apple Camera Connection kit: I love that I can pop the memory card out of my camera and put it in this and instantly load pictures onto the iPad.

cchavez
02-07-2011, 02:24 PM
Hi Gena....me again....what writing apps do you use? Thanks!

Gena
02-07-2011, 02:38 PM
DS really likes iWrite Words. It's very cute and it has helped with his letter and number formation.

Also, I use SmartNote. It's a note-taking app that than can do pdf annotation (it's not the best pdf app out there, but it's easy for DS to navigate and I use the free version). Then I can scan his Handwrting Without Tears worksheets into pdf format and he can work on them on the iPad.

I also scanned his first grade level lined paper as pdf, and then created blank note books full of lined pages so he can write all kinds of notes. (Most note-taking apps have a lined paper option, but they are more like college rule so not great for little kids).

I hope that helps!

TwinFoxes
02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
I'm not sure if "ours" (ha!) is 32 or 62. We don't have 3G, and the only time we needed it was in WDW because their wifi service is lame. But we pretty much use it at home, and DH takes it to work every day. When he takes the train in, he watches videos or reads on it, so 3G isn't necessary.

We don't have that many accessories. A case that doubles as a stand, a Pogo stylus (I gave it to DH as a stocking stuffer, never seen him use it), and a camera connector cable (not the one Gena has, hers sounds much cooler).

FTMLuc
02-08-2011, 08:47 AM
I have the 32gb WiFi only, have not missed the 3G at all. I had some cheap cases from Marshalls, but fount that the Apple case works best, and I love their camera connector kit for accessories.

Melaine
02-08-2011, 09:01 AM
64 wi-fi...3G didn't interest me, since I mostly use it at home. I got the Otterbox Defender case on recs from here. It is really heavy and bulky. I guess I will be glad I got it if I drop it, which hasn't happened yet.
No other accessories yet but I plan to get the Apple wireless keyboard at some point, a stylus and eventually the camera kit.
Now I want a bag with a compartment that I can use as a purse and just stick it in there some of the time. So far I don't like any of the mini laptop bags.

arivecchi
02-08-2011, 11:55 AM
Thanks all. Torn on whether I want 3G or not. I think I might kick myself for not having 3G if we end up moving to the burbs or when we visit the ILs in the country as they have the crappiest internet service ever.

larig
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
If you can, wait--rumors are the ipad v2 will be out in March.
http://www.macrumors.com/2011/02/05/ipad-2-event-later-this-month-with-release-in-march/

You'd probably kick yourself if you bought and then it came out a month later--the new one will have cameras and you'll be able to use facetime (on wifi).

kboyle
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
we have a 16gb wifi only one. all my boys have their own ipod touch so we didn't need that much memory. enough for a couple adult and couple kid movies, games for dh & i, and educational stuff for the kids. any of the "kid" games we have goes on their ipods.

we have the Otterbox Defender also...if you've got kids in the house i wouldn't use another case. i got our case before we even got our ipad, lol. not only is it bomb-proof, it comes with a stand.

i am about to get dh a stylus for part of his V Day gift...he always b*itches about wanting one so i guess i'll get it.

i don't put many pics on it, so no need for the camera attachment...but i may change my mind in the future...doubt it though.

while i would've loved 3g, i didn't want to spend the xtra $$ for it. i have a smartphone so any navigational stuff while travelling will come from there or garmin. the only reason i'd want it is so we could watch netflix on-the-go, but really, for us it wasn't necessary.

kboyle
02-08-2011, 03:18 PM
oops, double post!

kboyle
02-09-2011, 02:57 PM
I also scanned his first grade level lined paper as pdf, and then created blank note books full of lined pages so he can write all kinds of notes. (Most note-taking apps have a lined paper option, but they are more like college rule so not great for little kids).

I hope that helps!

how'd you do that? i'd like ds2 to practice writing his letters on lined paper on the ipad, and was thinking of getting Penultimate and using their lined paper, but not sure if it'd be big enough.

elektra
02-09-2011, 03:06 PM
I have the Wifi and DH has the 3G.
I would get the 3G if I were you, how else will you easily browse and post on the BBB? ;)

I do have an iPhone so I use the 3G there, but I just took my iPad on a trip and the 3G would have come in handy. I also mostly use it at home but unless your train has reliable wifi, I would get the 3G.

sidmand
02-09-2011, 03:17 PM
I thought I'd get one with 3G until I realized in addition to the upfront cost I would need to pay monthly for a service plan. I didn't want another monthly plan and figured my phone would work ok when I had to have 3G. I have wifi at home and so far so good. I have a 32 GB WiFi only.

FWIW I'm not sure you could use 3G for Netflix--I thought it only works on wifi but I may have that mixed up.

larig
02-09-2011, 03:25 PM
I thought I'd get one with 3G until I realized in addition to the upfront cost I would need to pay monthly for a service plan. I didn't want another monthly plan and figured my phone would work ok when I had to have 3G. I have wifi at home and so far so good. I have a 32 GB WiFi only.

FWIW I'm not sure you could use 3G for Netflix--I thought it only works on wifi but I may have that mixed up.

we used netflix in an airport over 3g on our iphones at xmas time. we didn't think it worked either. (ETA: I just now double checked to make sure I was right. It worked just fine on my iphone over 3g (I dont' have an ipad 3g, so had to test on that).

arivecchi
02-09-2011, 04:05 PM
larig, thanks for the update on the new ipad! I don't think I want to wait though. :)

DH was saying maybe we just get the wifi one for now and get a 3G one when and if we do move to the burbs in a couple of years.

So would 32 GB be sufficient?

elektra
02-10-2011, 12:09 AM
larig, thanks for the update on the new ipad! I don't think I want to wait though. :)

DH was saying maybe we just get the wifi one for now and get a 3G one when and if we do move to the burbs in a couple of years.

So would 32 GB be sufficient?

I have the 32 GB. It works fine for me. I have e kindle app for books and it held 6 or so movies i guess? And it's true that you have to pay a monthly subscription for the 3G.
If you have a reliable wifi connection you should be good without the 3G..

arivecchi
02-14-2011, 01:31 PM
Just wanted to update and let you all know I received my 32GB wifi ipad from Amazon on Friday! OMG, I am in love with the thing. So so awesome. Thanks for all the input!