PDA

View Full Version : a birthday party to beat that fairy party

candaceb
02-07-2011, 03:41 PM
seriously, if I was a mom who had a kid at this party I would just throw my arms up and say "I give!". How could anything else compare?

http://www.jennycookies.com/2011/01/allys-5th-birthday.html

The woman who did DS's birth announcements (etsy seller lukecommasara, who I found out about here) did the design of all the paper stuff for the party.

The cake display from this party beats any wedding I've ever been to.

editing to add link to the fairy party for comparison: http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/05/my-girl-her-really-fabulous-party.html

BabyBearsMom
02-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Is it kosher to just hate her? Who can do that?????

kep
02-07-2011, 03:51 PM
Definitely someone with money. Lots of money.

g-mama
02-07-2011, 03:52 PM
O.M.G.

That is unreal.

egoldber
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
My wedding was not that fancy. So what the heck is she going to do for 6?

AshleyAnn
02-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I really don't understand the overt excessiveness of these parties for little girls.

Seitvonzu
02-07-2011, 04:03 PM
she might have money (the purchased paper goods are a HUGE tip off on that-- labelled bottles of water? yikes...that sorta bugs me actually), but i'm pretty sure that pink sleeveless dress with the tulle skirt that her child is in is straight from target -- ours has them in pink and in white. they are pretty, and simple (so they look really classic) but i was REALLY surprised to see that.

i figured she did her own desserts (she sells designer cookies, right?) so she might have all that-- the display didn't look too elaborate if you already have stuff like that.....the tissue paper globes could be picked up fairly cheap or made (she lives i think in the pacific northwest-- so maybe she got them at an asian homegoods store or something?)... the cupcake wrapper garlands did seem like an expensive idea to me, because those were more "designer" looking cupcake papers, but they weren't all the garlands.... (some were just paper dots it seemed like?)

some of the decor (vases/lanterns) looked like things that could have been repurposed from their house?

the most expensive things to me seemed like the paper goods and the owl masks/capes. i thought it was a cute party...but i still like the fairy one better ;)

artvandalay
I think this is what is referred to as "Keeping Up With the Joneses"

jenmcadams
WOW!!!:bowdown:

randomkid
02-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Um, yeah, right. We just had DD's 6th b-day party in the little ceramics studio at the church where her school is. It's in the basement. It was $30 plus I paid for one ceramic item for each girl to paint. It lasted 2 hours, we had one table decorated with Tangled party stuff, they ate pizza and we had a grocery store cake (Tangled, of course). DD and her friends loved it. They painted, ate pizza and cake and ran in the halls. The woman running the studio was wonderful and was great with the kids. She said it was fine to let them run in the long, empty halls. Set up and clean up for me, minimal. Total cost around $200 for 10 girls, including enough food for the adults. My Mom and DH both said they thought it was the best party we've ever had for her.

To each his own. I just cannot fathom spending that much money/time on a party for a 5 year old. I wonder what that little girl's wedding will be like!

It was beautiful, though. I especially like the photos of the guests. Some of them are really cute, candid shots. I might have to keep that in mind for a milestone b-day for DD. What is a milestone b-day anyway? 13? 16? 50? - lol!

KpbS
02-07-2011, 04:05 PM
So so so self indulgent.

boolady
02-07-2011, 04:06 PM

Yeah, this was not about the kid. They could have had a beautiful party where the kids decorated masks and/or ceramic owls, both cute ideas, without going quite that overboard. I really find it hard to believe that the kids would have had less fun without all of the over-the-top stuff.

crl
02-07-2011, 04:08 PM
I have some really great friends. But I am pretty sure they'd tell me to take a hike if I asked them to help with all that party set up for a fifth birthday.

Catherine

ilfaith
02-07-2011, 04:09 PM
I would love to know what the budget for that party was. Even if she did do all the desserts herself, cakes like that can't be cheap to produce (if they are, boy are we suckers for paying a fortune for them) the paper goods alone must have cost a pretty penny.

Seitvonzu
02-07-2011, 04:13 PM
oh-- and as someone who tends to go to EXTREMES when i do "theme" parties-- this is certainly not a "requirement" for any child i've ever met!!!! it's all about the mom. i say -- "if that's fun for you... whatever floats your boat."

my guess on this one is that her business is sorta in this line--- and perhaps this is a bit of "advertising." i'll never be in the circumstance to have a crazy party like that for my child-- one that requires renting a BARN, but i do like to add little touches and details whenever we do entertain.... my child is only THREE. sometimes she notices, sometimes she does not. we had a little fairy birthday party playdate and i went crazy with wings/decor/themed food. i'm pretty sure the "chicken wands" were over the children's head... but they did enjoy the shredded wheat "bird's nests" i served there green bean/tomato/mozzerella salad in. :) (mostly because they were delicious) my child did have fun passing out wings when each friend arrived and giving them a fairy teaset when they left. they also enjoyed having lots to eat, and lots of time to play (mostly with our normal toys though i did cull and put out things like fairy books, puzzles, games)

every year i throw an elaborate easter party (and have since graduate school). invitations, food,decorations,egghunt, favors, champagne, etcetc. we do it at home (we are in a townhouse and have the egghunt at a neighborhood park), but it's definitely excessive. it's my hobby for about 2 months- thinking about the food and if i need any new decorations, how to make the egghunt smoother, do i need favors/prizes for the adults ? do i have enough for the children? should i knit a little something for the egg hunt eggs? should we have egg dying this year or skip? etcetc. the kids have fun, everyone enjoys the menu that's comfortably similar each year but always being "tweaked" and perfected. i don't expect everyone to ooh and ahh over all the little details i try to incorporate, but i love it when they do. mostly i love everyone having a really good time and leaving relaxed and full :)

this is how we do "party" or "celebration".... like i say, i tend toward excess. if there is a balloon and some form of cake and presents, my child is perfectly accepting that something is a "birthday." in fact, any excuse to sing "happy birthday!" :)

WolfpackMom
02-07-2011, 04:20 PM
WoW. That is excessive. I sure hope this was something as PP suggested she is using to promote her business. Its way over the top. I dont even remember my 5th birthday, I bet by the time she is in her 20s this little one only remembers through pictures. Im sure her daughter and friends had a lovely time, but this is clearly a showboat for the adults.

ETA: Maybe that was too harsh...lol Im jealous of the Jonses I guess!

maestramommy
02-07-2011, 04:22 PM
Wow, that is some owl party. Cute though, and clever way to make it cross gender.

Melaine
02-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Very cute. I would be really annoyed if my kids came to a party where there were THAT MANY irresistible sweets. That's just insane. I don't mine saying no to a huge bowl of M&Ms but some of that stuff would be hard to turn down.

SnuggleBuggles
02-07-2011, 04:33 PM
That cupcake liner garland is so ingenious!
Aside from the lavish b-day cake, I don't think it's over the top. I think it's really cute. I think that many of the things can be made for not much. So many parents around me have parties at places like the museum and such and those are minimum $200 and up to $500. This party is in that range (maybe even less) and looks creative and fun.

Beth

Corie
02-07-2011, 04:34 PM
I have some really great friends. But I am pretty sure they'd tell me to take a hike if I asked them to help with all that party set up for a fifth birthday.

Catherine

LOL!!! I'd help her with the set-up as long as she baked the cake/
cookies/cupcakes for my daughter's party. :)

ray7694
02-07-2011, 04:34 PM
http://itstofosho.edublogs.org/2010/11/20/real-housewives-of-beverly-hills-party-wars/

What about this one from Beverly Hills Housewives. $60,000 for a 4 year old. I want a barbie necklace.

crl
02-07-2011, 04:37 PM
LOL!!! I'd help her with the set-up as long as she baked the cake/
cookies/cupcakes for my daughter's party. :)

Ah, good point. She probably reciprocates with gorgeous baked goods for their events.

Catherine

RunnerDuck
02-07-2011, 04:43 PM

That's not keeping up. That's running them down and leaving them so far behind you hope they never catch up.

Corie
02-07-2011, 04:43 PM
Ah, good point. She probably reciprocates with gorgeous baked goods for their events.

Catherine

If I was her friend, I'd have to buy elastic waist pants to grow with me.

jenmcadams
02-07-2011, 04:49 PM
So many parents around me have parties at places like the museum and such and those are minimum $200 and up to $500. This party is in that range (maybe even less) and looks creative and fun.

I think I posted something similar in the Fairy Party Thread, but we often spend $400 - 500 on birthday parties in our backyard. We rent large bouncers, do big cookouts, and invite a lot of kids. It's fun and easy for us and we don't entertain a ton, so this is something we do 2x per year. Her party looks a lot more creative and probably not that much more expensive than ours...

I totally get spending less and not wanting to do big parties (and my kids have fun at smaller at home type parties too), this is just something we like to do as a family. We have a huge backyard and having 20+ kids running around, bouncing and playing in sprinklers is fun for us.

While this 5 year old party was fancier than my wedding and more over the top than I would do, I don't think it makes the mom self indulgent and I don't equate this with 50K Sweet Sixteen type craziness

wendibird22
02-07-2011, 04:52 PM
Wow! I think what makes me jealous is that it highlights my lack of creativity, my lack of design flair, and my lack of time management skills that would enable me to plan and execute something like that just weeks after the holidays (as she indicated).

hwin708
02-07-2011, 04:53 PM
I think it's lovely! And she does break down a lot of the most expensive looking items in the description, and they frankly don't sound expensive at all, given that they were made out of cheap felt and free labor. I wouldn't be surprised if this party was very much in line with the standard bounce house parties. Just more work.

And to each their own in that regard. Some people are just creative types. They like designing and decorating and event planning. Why would they just not do all that for their kids' parties???

I also will never understand why people say things like "the kids don't care. They would have been fine with a simple cake." Well, sure. Your kids don't need any fancy toys. They're happy with pots and pans. They don't need cute clothes. They're happy with dollar leggings and tshirts. They certainly DON'T want a pretty picture with Santa, as their crying faces would attest. We do a lot of things as parents because WE enjoy them. Kids will soon be teens, and have their own parties, with their own demands. But right now, when you have to plan the whole thing, when the event is just as full with your friends as it is your child's friends, why can't you design it to your tastes? Your kid is happy, either way.

All that being said, I don't throw kids' parties NEARLY as nice as this. But I'll bet mine cost a LOT more, because I don't DIY anything. And given the wide variety of parties I've attended, I really don't think anyone cares if yours isn't as gorgeous as the last one. I marvel at one woman's party throwing skills, another's great shoes, another's impressive job, another's perfectly behaved kids. Everyone has their own "pride and joy." Good for them. They rock theirs, I'll rock mine.

chottumommy
02-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Now I'm scared to open that link.

maestramommy
02-07-2011, 05:03 PM
Now I'm scared to open that link.

Open it, open it! Really, I thought it was a very fun looking party. I love reading and seeing pics for parties like this, because then I don't have to do them myself:tongue5:

There are elements of the party I could pull off if I did only one of them. Like, only the masks, or only the wings. And maybe the games. Not the food though, that's totally out of my league:p And I totally understand what happens when you get the creative bit between your teeth. It's very hard to restrain yourself. I had to do that when planning Dora's 5th party. I just kept telling myself I didn't want to make myself sick the night before;)

candaceb
02-07-2011, 05:08 PM
I dont even remember my 5th birthday

I remember mine! It was at McDonald's and it was the party of my dreams:D

WolfpackMom
02-07-2011, 05:11 PM

LOL I actually think mine was McDonalds too, at least there are pictures of me at McDonalds around that age with one of those cakes with a sugar Ronald on it that they used to have there for birthdays. But I dont remember the actual party at all. :p

crl
02-07-2011, 05:16 PM
Well, darn. I tried to follow the link to her etsy shop person for invites and couldn't get it to work.

Catherine

lcarlson90
02-07-2011, 05:22 PM
That is the cutest party theme I have ever seen. I love owls..if I had girls I would totally copy that party.

I think some people have extravagant parties like this because they enjoy being creative and planning beautiful parties, it's not necessarily because they are trying to impress people. I have always thrown cute, themed parties for my boys because I love doing it.

Globetrotter
02-07-2011, 05:23 PM
I recall a lot of negative comments about the fairy party, too. My feeling is, she seems to be a very creative sort who has a cookie business. I bet this is how she is wired, and I suspect this is also a marketing tool for her cookie business, attracting people to her blog. I have a few friends who are like this, who come up with these little touches that I wouldn't have thought of ina million years. My dd is sort of like this, so I will be interested to see what kinds of parties she throws for her kids :rotflmao:

I figure it's a hobby for these people, something I will never relate to, but as long as she can afford it, why not? I bet she figured out how to do this without spending TOO much. Al lot of these things can be made for a reasonable cost if you know what you're doing, and she probably has a lot of props for her business. Heck, I pay gobs of money to party places because I am too lazy to do it myself, so who am I to judge? :tongue5:

♥ms.pacman♥
02-07-2011, 05:29 PM
I think it's lovely! And she does break down a lot of the most expensive looking items in the description, and they frankly don't sound expensive at all, given that they were made out of cheap felt and free labor. I wouldn't be surprised if this party was very much in line with the standard bounce house parties. Just more work.

And to each their own in that regard. Some people are just creative types. They like designing and decorating and event planning. Why would they just not do all that for their kids' parties???

I also will never understand why people say things like "the kids don't care. They would have been fine with a simple cake." Well, sure. Your kids don't need any fancy toys. They're happy with pots and pans. They don't need cute clothes. They're happy with dollar leggings and tshirts. They certainly DON'T want a pretty picture with Santa, as their crying faces would attest. We do a lot of things as parents because WE enjoy them. Kids will soon be teens, and have their own parties, with their own demands. But right now, when you have to plan the whole thing, when the event is just as full with your friends as it is your child's friends, why can't you design it to your tastes? Your kid is happy, either way.

All that being said, I don't throw kids' parties NEARLY as nice as this. But I'll bet mine cost a LOT more, because I don't DIY anything. And given the wide variety of parties I've attended, I really don't think anyone cares if yours isn't as gorgeous as the last one. I marvel at one woman's party throwing skills, another's great shoes, another's impressive job, another's perfectly behaved kids. Everyone has their own "pride and joy." Good for them. They rock theirs, I'll rock mine.

:yeahthat: :

so well said. i had fun looking at the pictures, honestly. i'd love to have the time and creativity and the together-ness of being able to pull off something like that off for my kids' bday party someday. also, i think a lot of it is that whoever took the pictures at the party was also really good. i swear, you can make displays etc look way nicer/more artistic than it is IRL with the right photography/editing skills.

i guess i will never understand the need to criticize a mom just bc she took the time/money to do something this...i get that it's not everyone's style or whatever, but why all the assumptions? personally, i just see it as the mom's personal hobby, and/or the mom trying to promote her business (she sells cookies right?). i don't see how it has anything to do with how her kids are becoming spoiled or whatnot. some parents take their kids on $$$ vacations/cruises, some buy their kids fancy video games electronics or whatnot, and some parents do the birthday party thing. as PP said, whatever floats your boat.

That is the cutest party theme I have ever seen. I love owls..if I had girls I would totally copy that party.

I think some people have extravagant parties like this because they enjoy being creative and planning beautiful parties, it's not necessarily because they are trying to impress people. I have always thrown cute, themed parties for my boys because I love doing it.

i agree. i had a monkey-themed party for DS's first birthday party, and i had invitations and water bottle labels custom-made from an Etsy seller. i took a lot of time in figuring out a theme, ordering/selecting favors and had a lot of help from family members in setting stuff up for the party. i spent a lot of time taking pictures. DS is one, no way he's going to remember it or even care. i guess i just enjoy doing this kind of thing, i look forward to putting the pics in his scrapbook for him to have when he is older. scrapbooking/crafts is one of the very few hobbies i have left after having DS, and if that makes me self-indulgent and excessive, so be it!

fortato
02-07-2011, 05:31 PM
That beats the hell out of my Ground Round Party when I was 9. I bet her family didn't let her throw peanut shells on the floor. So there. Harumph.

Of course, this just makes me obsess more over Jack and Matthew's birthdays.

mommylamb
Te he he... when I read your thread title, I thought you were trying to compete with our Fairy here on BBB.

lcarlson90
I am going to email DH this link so he can plan a party like this for my birthday. I seriously love owls. I might look a little silly in the wings and mask but that's okay.

Laurel
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM

This. DH and I really enjoy hosting parties and throw several a year for various holidays and birthdays. It really is not that expensive when you are making everything yourself. My kids would be just as happy at Chuck E. Cheese, but I enjoy it and people have a great time at my parties.

pampers37
02-07-2011, 05:48 PM
holy wowness...

RunnerDuck
02-07-2011, 05:54 PM
LOL I actually think mine was McDonalds too, at least there are pictures of me at McDonalds around that age with one of those cakes with a sugar Ronald on it that they used to have there for birthdays. But I dont remember the actual party at all. :p

Circa 1982 they gave you a brown paper hat so you could pretend to be a McDonald's employee... ahhhh, the thrill...

MichelleRC
02-07-2011, 06:04 PM
That beats the hell out of my Ground Round Party when I was 9. I bet her family didn't let her throw peanut shells on the floor. So there. Harumph.

Holy Carp! I loved the Ground Round!! Thanks for that little blast from the past.

babychi
02-07-2011, 06:06 PM
Te he he... when I read your thread title, I thought you were trying to compete with our Fairy here on BBB.

:yeahthat: I thought the exact same thing!

Well, I think that party looked adorable! I'm a sucker for theme parties and the owl theme was super cute. :)

dowlinal
02-07-2011, 06:18 PM
I have to say that I think that party was really sweet. I really don't understand why people get upset at these types of parties. If it's not your style, then don't have one like this. I throw my kids parties that come close to these because I enjoy doing it for my kids and I love watching them have fun at the parties. It bothers me to think that people attending the parties might be mad at me for throwing them.

Last year when my younger daughter turned four, I turn my whole house into a Candyland Board game. The kids followed felt squares from room to room and each room was a different stop on the board. For the twins first birthday, I turned my backyard into a Mickey Mouse Carnival complete with homemade disney themed carnival games and food. Just yesturday I had a Lady Bug and Butterfly Brunch for my girls and we filled our house with handmade tissue flowers and huge painted butterflys and had tons of ladybug and butterfly desserts.

I agree with those who have pointed out that these parties don't always cost that much money. I am a crafty person and I spend a lot of time and energy creating parties for my four. My girls are older now and they love to help me make the party stuff. We'll spend weeks making decorations and baking cookies and cakes.

Also, my girls remember their parties and love looking at the pictures from them.

KHF
02-07-2011, 06:42 PM
Wow! I think what makes me jealous is that it highlights my lack of creativity, my lack of design flair, and my lack of time management skills that would enable me to plan and execute something like that just weeks after the holidays (as she indicated).

:yeahthat: I've done a couple of theme parties for DD (August birthday), but poor DS is doomed to a lifetime of out of the box party decorations and Walmart cakes (his birthday is 3 days before Christmas). I lucked out this year, and his favorite thing in the world is Cars...those decorations and cakes were easy to find!

I did get a little out of control with DD's first birthday party ("1" theme) and her second (Maisy theme), but all the decorations were ones that I'd made. I even made custom bottle labels...not hard when you have access to a color laser printer.

Since having my second child though, DD has had lower key parties (mostly at my mom's house) and a party for her friends at a local bounce house place. These types of ideas are the ones that I did for my wedding....now that I have 2 kids, I just don't have the time or inclination to do it.

ilfaith
02-07-2011, 06:58 PM
I would love to know what the budget for that party was. Even if she did do all the desserts herself, cakes like that can't be cheap to produce (if they are, boy are we suckers for paying a fortune for them) the paper goods alone must have cost a pretty penny.

randomkid
02-07-2011, 06:59 PM
I have to say that I think that party was really sweet. I really don't understand why people get upset at these types of parties. If it's not your style, then don't have one like this.

I totally understand why people get upset over these types of parties. Because I don't have the time, resources or creativity to do one. If my 6yo were to go to a party like that, she would likely be asking me for one just like it. She has already asked for a huge bounce house like one at a party we went to. It was $300 to rent one that big - I spent less than that on her entire party. She also wants a playroom because her friends have one. We don't have an extra room to make a playroom. I get tired of "disappointing" her and having to explain why we can't have XYZ like her friends do.

Smillow
02-07-2011, 06:59 PM

Holy Carp! I loved the Ground Round!! Thanks for that little blast from the past.

:yeahthat:I would so love to have my next birthday at The Ground Round! Good Times:)

kellij
02-07-2011, 07:10 PM

That's where we had my kids' bday this past year and it was PERFECT!!! Super easy, cheap and everyone had an awesome time. Clean up was great too. :)

I think that party is darling, but it made me tired to look at it.

AnnieW625
02-07-2011, 07:12 PM
This woman just has too much time on her hands! I love making birthday invites with my Stampin Up stamp sets, which is much easier than most people think, but yeah that is just too much! :bag And the post about the bag of crap for the follow up party for this one would be a pitty post I am sure. I will say I do like the granola/trail mix for the party favor. I do like the idea of the water bottle, but I am sure some label could be made with each kids' name on it, and nothing nearly that fancy. Any clue about how much it all cost????

We aren't sure what we are doing for DD1's 5th birthday (either backyard party or Pump It Up party) and even if I do a cute Pinkalicious Pink Lemonade theme (don't shoot me) there are so many ways to keep a party simple, and cute.

This looks like the right place, I just about F'in fell out of my chair!
A Country Location (http://acountrylocation.com/Home/) (silly blogger had the address and location on the invite; can't believe she didn't remove all of the personal information:shake:)

I think one of us needs to book mark this site every February so we can see how the parties get bigger and better; can't wait for the sweet 16!

Binkandabee
02-07-2011, 07:47 PM
I think it's absolutely adorable, but I wouldn't be comfortable throwing a party like that for my DD...time and finances aside. It's a birthday, it's not a graduation, it's not anything that is celebrating an accomplishment or something to be proud of. For accomplishment celebrations...heck yeah...I plan to go ALL OUT as a way to congratulate my kids for their hard work. I just think this much extravagance at a child's birthday party really sends the wrong message...one of entitlement and one of self absorption.

I don't look down on her at all and my opinion isn't one of jealousy (I can do anything I set my mind to)...this type of party just isn't for us.

ETA: Ok...I take that back I can't do anything I set my mind to...no way in HELL could I convince my DH to dress in such a way that he matched the theme of any party and he'd divorce me if I asked him to wear pink.

RunnerDuck
02-07-2011, 07:52 PM
http://www.jennycookies.com/2010/08/hudson-is-2.html

Her son's 2nd bday was equally outrageous. Seriously. He's TWO. It wasn't at a venue but...

(Yes - she gave goldfish as party gifts. I would be sooo ticked...)

hwin708
02-07-2011, 08:00 PM
I do like the idea of the water bottle, but I am sure some label could be made with each kids' name on it, and nothing nearly that fancy. Any clue about how much it all cost????I actually think one label would be way easer than a separate one for each kid.

Regardless, DIY water labels are HUGE at weddings the past few years. They're in pretty much every out of town bag I get. Primarily because they are one of the easiest and cheapest wedding crafts to do. Design a rectangular label, print it, cut them out (simply, straight cut), and dab a little glue stick to attach them to the bottles. If you want to go the extra mile, "laminate" them with clear packaging tape, since it is the same width.

So yeah - it's basically paper, ink and a glue stick. Super cheap.

kijip
02-07-2011, 08:02 PM
A few thoughts. First off, I agree with people who don't think there is any reason to judge her for this sort of party. We all make choices based on our own values, resources and talents and go from there. For me that means parties start and stop with good food and a fairly nice totally home cook, non pro cake. And that is ok. She clearly has a lot of time on her hands and clearly party planning is a passion of hers. Frankly I think jokingly likening a mom to the devil is just over the top. Seriously. She just has a different hobby than you do and at is ok.

She is local to me (well, in the burbs of Seattle) and I have been to this party site, mainly used for weddings, a couple of times and it is not cheap. I am sure they did not pay what they would have for a wedding there but the site alone puts the cost far above a bouncy or gym party. I do find it disingenuous that she goes on about the cheapness of everything and then skips right over that expense, in an effort to make it look inexpensive.

Finally, I will say that I have been to parties like this. They are fun, the host usually takes genuine joy in being a host. I do however dismiss the idea that parties like this are totally non-commercial. Sure they don't have a character smacked all over them but they are living in the affluent "bobo" style of parenting and are often modeled after stores that target middle class and affluent parents like pbk and land of nod. I think that there is an air of consumerism, even in crafting, if not commercialization. It is selling the idea that there is something better than the ordinary, which is perfectly fine, I just don't thing that you can say with a straight face this is frugal. So in so much as people should not judge, I don't think wow factor party hosts need to maintain an illusion (or perhaps delusion) that this is affordable or doable for all. That cakes and confection are a couple hundred plus in supplies, and surely the food for this party must have been good. It is a trek to get there, she had to have fed them more than chocolate stick owls.

kellij
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM

Her son's 2nd bday was equally outrageous. Seriously. He's TWO. It wasn't at a venue but...

That is amazing!! I feel like her parties are things you see in Family Fun as "ideas" you could do for your kid's birthday, which in reality are impossible for 99% off the people, who aren't like Martha Steward.

WolfpackMom
02-07-2011, 08:05 PM

She should do this for celebrities, nevermind just the cookies etc. Both cookies and party planning - Tori Spelling would eat this up!

ellies mom
02-07-2011, 08:14 PM

:yeahthat:
I think I need to make a Shirley Temple.

nicepersonfl
02-07-2011, 08:15 PM
Definitely someone with money. Lots of money.

And time. And good friends who have lot of $$$.

ilfaith
I have to say I just looked at the pictures form her son's "Elmo" party, and I think it was pretty awesome too. But damn, that's a lot of sugar...I can't imagine how hopped up those kids must have been on cake and cookies and candy. And live goldfish as a party favor? I an only imagine a lot of little children learned an important lesson about mortality in the weeks following the party.

Melbel

:yeahthat: :

so well said. i had fun looking at the pictures, honestly. i'd love to have the time and creativity and the together-ness of being able to pull off something like that off for my kids' bday party someday. also, i think a lot of it is that whoever took the pictures at the party was also really good. i swear, you can make displays etc look way nicer/more artistic than it is IRL with the right photography/editing skills.

i guess i will never understand the need to criticize a mom just bc she took the time/money to do something this...i get that it's not everyone's style or whatever, but why all the assumptions? personally, i just see it as the mom's personal hobby, and/or the mom trying to promote her business (she sells cookies right?). i don't see how it has anything to do with how her kids are becoming spoiled or whatnot. some parents take their kids on $$$ vacations/cruises, some buy their kids fancy video games electronics or whatnot, and some parents do the birthday party thing. as PP said, whatever floats your boat.

:yeahthat: I thought it was a perfectly lovely party. FWIW, I also enjoyed the photos of the fairy party. The mom has a natural talent and seems to enjoy putting together all of the details. My daughters would have loved it!

As for the paper goods, there are some amazing options on etsy, for purchase or inspiration. I made labels for the girls water bottles for our trip to NYC using normal paper and glue (they were not going in a cooler so they did not need to be waterproof). You can purchase waterproof labels and DIY (approximate dimensions 2.5 x 8" for water bottles).

I normally like to put together thoughtful themes and party favors, but she lost me at the home baked goodies, embellished table cloths and garland! I do not begrudge her for her dedication and talent though!

ETA: I think someone upthread was looking for the etsy seller for the paper goods. I have used her too with good results. :) http://www.etsy.com/shop/lukecommasara?ga_search_query=luke&ga_search_type=seller_usernames

Melbel
02-07-2011, 08:24 PM

I have to say I just looked at the pictures form her son's "Elmo" party, and I think it was pretty awesome too. But damn, that's a lot of sugar...I can't imagine how hopped up those kids must have been on cake and cookies and candy. And live goldfish as a party favor? I an only imagine a lot of little children learned an important lesson about mortality in the weeks following the party.
A party guru here in town gave goldfish as party favors. We managed to kill ours within a day :bag, which was awful for my kids. She is a great planner overall, but I was not happy with this favor!

Jenny_A
02-07-2011, 08:44 PM
She should do this for celebrities, nevermind just the cookies etc. Both cookies and party planning - Tori Spelling would eat this up!

:hysterical:

Jenny_A
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Wow! What neat parties! Beautiful photos. I feel bad that it rained on the two year old party. A lot of creativity went into those! I think they are inspiring, however I could never pull one off to that extent, though. And that's fine by me! Good for her! I've bookmarked the site.

MelissaTC
02-07-2011, 09:03 PM

Muhahahahaha!!! P and I shared a giggle the other night, thinking about the Ground Round and the peanut shells on the floor.

larig
02-07-2011, 09:09 PM
Put me in the "I think it is adorable" camp. I think she is incredibly clever and an amazing cake & cookie decorator. Whoever took the pictures of the guests did a great job--they were absolutely beautiful.

Frankly, I'm kind of surprised at the negative comments being thrown around here. It wasn't cheap, fair enough, but if you're a cake decorator, then this is a perfect opportunity to showcase your talents, publish it on your blog and drum up some business--perfect virtual portfolio.

This lady reminds me of my mom, except my mom doesn't have the artistic thing going that this woman does. What they have in common is the love of throwing a good party. I think that's cool. It sure looks like everyone at that party had a great time, and that's all she probably wanted. I'd say that's a pretty noble goal, giving kids and their parents a couple hours of fun. Plus it sounds like she hired some independent artists to help her out--she didn't use some pre-fab commercial thing, she actually paid someone (Etsy is so cool) to help her with the paper stuff and the sewing (and had help for this).

and :jammin: to the ground round fans. Loved the peanuts shells on the floor.

MelissaTC
02-07-2011, 09:10 PM
I had a huge 6th birthday party or at least it seemed that way to me. My parents held it in the community room of our building. I wore a yellow dress and a crown. I got to invite my entire kindergarten class plus outside friends. They hired a lady who dressed Luke a clown and had poodles who danced to "Whip It". She also had a monkey that scared the crap out of me. I remember dancing a lot. Some things haven't changed. ;)

Jenny_A
02-07-2011, 09:22 PM
Okay, I found this oh too funny! I was going back through some of her other posts on her blog and it turns out she sent Tori Spelling cookies for Christmas! Here's the blog post. Unbelievable that we were talking about just that!

http://www.jennycookies.com/2010/12/merry-christmas-to-mcdermotts.html

Corie
02-07-2011, 09:30 PM
I have to say I just looked at the pictures form her son's "Elmo" party, and I think it was pretty awesome too.

Are these her paper goods from the Etsy seller??

http://www.etsy.com/listing/62378865/can-you-tell-me-how-to-get-a-modern

jgenie
02-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Anyone have any idea what those ice cream cones at her son's party are made of?

Seitvonzu
02-07-2011, 09:41 PM
i agree that the mom shouldn't act like she is "frugal" but i think it's fair to say that some things look more expensive than they actually are (like her daughters dress, TARGET i tell you...it's from TARGET). yes, supplies cost money and not everyone can do this "on the cheap" -- martha stewart is another DYI that doesn't often end up cheap--but the "cost" of her event is also something that is hobby, entertainment, etc. i ALWAYS factor that in when i'm entertaining... it's entertainment for me and i work in my hobbies as i get ready for the party...sometimes that lasts MONTHS. sometimes i gain durable goods (scissors, equiptment,serving dishes,or extra supplies) when making things that i can use again and again for other parties, gifts or projects. my child is 3 and already i find that parties are getting cheaper and cheaper (we can repurpose so many things!) so it's a good "value" in that sense as well as the value you get from being a good host and creating an amazing memory for yourself, your guests and hopefully your child :)

yes, it's cheaper to have her wear a t-shirt she already had, etc. but sometimes you just want your kiddo to feel special. just because. sure-- no kid is ENTITLED to a SPECTACULAR like that but-- who cares? birthdays are just because you are you. they just are. it's pretty much universally accepted that when it's someone's birthday we just celebrate their "themness" because, well, we do. it goes without saying. there is something refreshing about that. it reminds me of the dr. seuss book "happy birthday to you!" which is all about a place called katroo where a birthday bird sweeps in and treats you to the "day of all days!" just because you aren't a "clam or a ham or a sour old jar of gooseberry jam...."

i digress ;)

so yeah, i fall on the "awesome party" and "yeah party" side of things-- i love people like this woman, kelle hampton, and martha stewart. i love throwing my own parties and probably spend more than most people doing it. it's a priority at our house, like some people prioritize cable or whatever. i don't think it's necessarily fair to say it's going to spoil kids or makes the woman a narcissist. these things could be true, but i don't think they go without saying...

Seitvonzu
02-07-2011, 09:42 PM
my guess on the ice cream cones was those cupcake ice cream cones? you pour cake batter in and cook and then frost? i've seen mini cake cones you can use to make tiny ones (have done that before.... i'm guess the icing is some sort of soft fondant (based on the "drip" effect and her obvious cake making experience)

Melbel
02-07-2011, 09:45 PM

yes, one of my etsy favorite sellers.

billysmommy
02-07-2011, 09:49 PM
What a gorgeous party!!!

I absolutely love the garlands made from the cupcake wrappers!! And the owl and cupcake cakepops....my SIL just got me this book for my birthday and the boys and I are having so much fun making all the different ones.

We do huge Halloween parties and go all out with homemade invitations, decorations, cakes, cupcakes, goodies, food, etc. I absolutely love throwing these parties and DH and I readily admit that the party is just as much for us and the adults as the kids. The kids would be perfectly happy with just having their friends over in costumes and running around but we LOVE throwing these parties and enjoy all the prep work. I've already started on our invitations for next year.

Melbel
02-07-2011, 09:54 PM
Kara's Party Ideas was referenced in the comments to the parties. It actually gives links to resources.

http://karaspartyideas.blogspot.com/

eta: this website is overwhelmimg!

candaceb
02-07-2011, 09:55 PM

yes, if you look at the cookies on the right, they're in her style

gatorsmom
02-07-2011, 09:56 PM
I fell into the trap last summer. I am a creative type and occasionally I give into my inner artiste. My boys' birthdays are a week a part so I asked what each wanted for their birthday parties. Cha cha wanted an Indiana Jones party. Gator wanted Chuck E. Cheese.

So, on Saturday, I threw a 3 hour party in our back yard complete with a Holy Grail- finding obstacle course where the boys went through several "scenes" and daring situations (such as walking over an snake pit, going through a jungle scene complete with giant ball rolling down on them) to find the Holy Grail and then carry it to a jungle cave (complete with real vines hanging down the walls) to scoop treasure from a golden treasure chest with their Holy Grail. They then had to carry the treasure to their "goody bags." Each boy had his own Indiana Jones replica party hat (paper hats which I ordered and they put together as soon as they arrive). We had a scavenger hunt game in the forest just beyond our yard (for the cross of Coronado, grail diary, crystal skull (real movie replica I ordered online) etc.), snake decorating game, and snake toss game. Finished off with an Indiana Jones cake where the huge boulder rolled out of the cave onto Indy (cake decoration found online). I spent weeks putting it all together. the finishing touch was the Indiana movie themes playing over the sound system in our back yard during the party. All the boys said they had a blast.

Sunday was the Chuck E Cheese party.

Both my boys went to each other's party. Guess which one they LOVED??? The Chuck E, Cheese party. They loved it so much that even Cha cha wants his birthday party there next year. It's all they've talked about for months now, but the Indiana Jones party is long forgotten.

I'm convinced those big, splashy parties are all.about.the.parents. If you don't love doing that stuff/wanna impress someone/make up for the crappy parties you had as a kid/wanna boost your own business, there is just no way you are going to do it. I, for one have learned my lesson.

And make no mistake- DIY parties are EXPENSIVE. For the paint I used on the boxes for the back drop on the obstacle course, the gold paint, the glitter, spray adhesive, styrofoam cooler for the treasure chest, all the props, the food, the drinks, the jewels, the fake Holy Grails, etc., etc., all that ads up. Chuck E. Cheese was less than half the price for the same number of kids. Boy, did I learn my lesson!

traciann
02-07-2011, 10:10 PM
I think it looks like a great party, but feel no need to duplicate one of my own. My mom LIVES to help with her grandkids birthday parties and spends alot on extras and fun stuff because she wants to.

blue
02-07-2011, 10:28 PM
I am going to email DH this link so he can plan a party like this for my birthday. I seriously love owls. I might look a little silly in the wings and mask but that's okay.

:rotflmao:

ETA: I love owls too.
I am sure you'd look fine in the mask and wings! ;)

Ceepa
02-07-2011, 10:33 PM
The price has to be up there, even with the DIY aspect, but to me the craziest parts are the labor-intensiveness and the time suck of it all. Just coordinating her stable of workhorses and plodding along daily for weeks for a 5 year-old's party to me is loopy.

elbenn
02-07-2011, 10:39 PM
Anyone know where they sell those paper flowers/balls that were hanging above the food table? They are so pretty!

billysmommy
02-07-2011, 10:42 PM
Anyone know where they sell those paper flowers/balls that were hanging above the food table? They are so pretty!

She made them!! I've made the tissue poms before (prom and birthdays), the first one or two take awhile but once you get going it's pretty easy. I've never done the tulle balls though.

MamaMolly
02-07-2011, 10:51 PM

LOL I clicked on the link for pricing (holy moley, no wonder she can afford all this stuff!) and she had a link to Tori and Dean's twitter. So maybe T is already a fan! HAHA!

Jeanne
02-07-2011, 10:54 PM
I personally would never spend that kind of money on a kid's party but to each his own. I think she did a beautiful job and is very creative. I can't see it as any more indulgent then spending all that money on the BBB in Disney World and plenty of people book that for their little girls.

MamaMolly
02-07-2011, 11:00 PM
I wish she'd post more about the non-candy/cake food, because I'd love to steal ideas from her menu. And I really like the idea of having a special photo taking area with a background fabric. That wouldn't cost much!

The only negative I have is that I wonder what she does with all the 'stuff' when she's done? Does she have a store front that it goes to? What is she going to do tomorrow or next year with those brown table cloths, and all those candy jars. I'm hoping she uses them for work and that they don't end up in the land fill.

I love seeing parties like this and getting ideas, though mine are way, way, WAY more scaled back. Like Party City tinkerbell plastic-y themes kind of scaled back ;).

crl
02-07-2011, 11:06 PM

I think you could get a similar look with paper lanterns.

http://www.lunabazaar.com/paper-lanterns.aspx

Catherine

mykidsmom
02-07-2011, 11:24 PM

I agree. I wish I was even a tiny bit that creative!

ha98ed14
02-07-2011, 11:57 PM
I think it's an awesome testament to how creative some people are! But I TOTALLY get the keeping up with the Jones' feeling and Randomkid's point that it would be hard to explain to your own kid why they could not have a party as extravagant.

Here is my thought that I have not seen posted in any of the PPs. Does it bother anyone else that EVERYTHING is labeled with "Ally is 5!"?

squimp
02-08-2011, 12:02 AM
I LOVE it. I love the owl theme and those costumes and the pink owl cookies. And I love the logs. Love that she took pics of her guests - that's sweet.

Honestly though I wouldn't feel all that comfortable at a party like that - it would be hard not to feel intimidated and a bit chunky and un-pretty. But that's just jealousy. No chance of parties like that happening here though!

For the paper balls, there's a Martha Stewart kit that you can buy at Michael's to make something similar - then you can see easily how they're made. She might even have a tutorial on her great website. I have some that I made for DD's birthday and they have been hanging in her room ever since. I've used them more than once!

ETA - http://www.marthastewart.com/how-to/tissue-paper-pom-poms-how-to

icunurse
02-08-2011, 12:02 AM
Here is my thought that I have not seen posted in any of the PPs. Does it bother anyone else that EVERYTHING is labeled with "Ally is 5!"?

Especially when the intended audience probably can't even read that! LOL

Sorry, but the party struck me more as a photo op for Mom's abilities rather than a sweet celebration of her little girl. Give me an uneven cake with discolored frosting that a "regular" Mom makes and I will show you a crazy-happy kid turning 5. Hoopla not necessary.

Babymakes3
02-08-2011, 12:06 AM
Beautiful party! Whats the link to the fairy party everyone is talking about>

I want to know where i can buy those wood 3 tier stands that she has displaying the thank you gifts for the owl party!

Smillow
02-08-2011, 12:07 AM
The Sesame Street party theme was adorable (brought to you by the letter H & the number 2 - love it!) but the candy and sugar - WAY too OOT! My DS will be 2 at the end of the month & he has never had candy & won't for as long as I can help it - that party would be a nightmare of sugar & artificial coloring.

amandabea
02-08-2011, 12:27 AM

:yeahthat: it's very cute, but not something I would even attempt.

JamiMac
02-08-2011, 12:55 AM

Very well said. I just wish I had her creativity and ambition. My kids parties are at the local pizza place or our backyard and so not impressive (but fun!). I'm seriously impressed by this, but couldn't do it myself. I also agree that I'm sure it's a platform for her business. Very cute!

AnnieW625
02-08-2011, 01:16 AM
really? this is a terrible comment, even in jest.

I deleted the photo and my comment, yes it was in jest and I will leave it at that.

aloopylife
02-08-2011, 01:30 AM

Love this entire response. I think it was an amazing party and would have thoroughly enjoyed attending. :)

citymama
02-08-2011, 02:35 AM
I would be incredibly jealous if I actually belonged to the same parenting species as her. I'm not even in the same universe! We're home-made/hand-made everything and it all looks like it was made by a 1st grader! But I am happy with what I do with my time, and I think she seems to really enjoy what she's doing with hers.

That is a brilliant marketing tool though. I'm going to bet we'll be hearing more about Jenny soon. Celebs and media are going to eat that up. Thumbs up to a creative mama and smart businesswoman. :thumbsup:

niccig
02-08-2011, 02:58 AM
Some people love to throw parties. I think it's an excellent showcase of her cookies and cakes. When you have the creative/cooking ability, some of these things are not too difficult, nor do you find it to be a chore. You love it.

My mother loved to make amazing cakes for our birthday parties. The more difficult the better. This is the x-wing fighter that she made for DS, with the wings spread into shape of an x. It's not something I can or will do, but she enjoys it - she stayed up until 2am for 2 nights in a row to get the cake finished, drove 1 hour to get to a cake decorating store, found the blueprints from a star wars site etc...for her, it becomes a personal challenge of "can I do this?" rather than trying to be better than anyone else. I can see her throwing a party like the one linked in the OP.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a385/niccig03/IMG_0402-1.jpg

HannaAddict
02-08-2011, 03:01 AM
I guess I shouldn't be surprised by many of the the comments . . . just disheartened. It was a lovely party, that is a lovely not over the top venue too (many friends live there, it is rural and cheap). If people read the blog, she is a cookie designer for her job - she is talented and stylish and design-ish by nature, it is what she loves to do. And it runs in her family, her mom does retail set displays so no big deal for them to do great set up. It was all pretty simple, the stumps, the stamps for the design, etc. And charming. Fun, regular party games and a pretty cake. Of course having a good photographer makes it look even more fabulous and it was fabulous! (Remember the fairy party mom was a photographer and style gal too.) Having a pizza party and no theme is about as foreign to her as having a stylish party is to some others. Why the thought that it is about keeping up with someone else, when she probably loves having this sort of event, the kids look happy and it is wonderful she took the time to throw a great party for her guests. This isn't the same things as renting a limo for a five year old, or wretched excess. It is cute, terribly cute and took time and thought, not necessarily tons of money. It is homemade (maybe not the cake) but the mom happens to be great at homemade and rocks at cookies. I wish I was that fabulous, but it would cost me more since I would have to hire out!

We have nice parties that aren't to this level, I am not this fabulous. But I get inspired and love decorating, having a theme, having fun party favors, etc. I am not crafty or able to sew or do this stuff myself like she can, but I have hired someone on Etsy to make 30 Jedi trainee cloaks for a 5th birthday Star Wars party. They were awesome and the pictures taken by our photographer friend made it look like it should have been in a magazine. Especially when all decked out in them in our living room, sans furniture doing Jedi light saber training in unison, with foam light sabers decorated with neon electrical tape. The kids had a great time, the parents loved the cloaks and if I could have sewn, it would have been cheaper. We did pictures of each child in a light saber pose and sent them in the thank you cards. It was a great party and I am sad that having a theme, nice party is so frowned upon and trashed by some people. Frankly, I am gracious but don't get the bounce house parties with no thought at all, invites provided by the bounce house place arriving to a bag of pirates booty, maybe a sad veggie tray from the store and Costco generic bday cake. My kids have fun, but I couldn't throw that type of party . . . it isn't me or how I like to entertain and not because I'm keeping up with anyone. My kids love their birthdays and parties, themes and all. I wish I'd been to the owl party, cute, cute idea.

niccig
02-08-2011, 03:11 AM
I am not crafty or able to sew or do this stuff myself like she can, but I have hired someone on Etsy to make 30 Jedi trainee cloaks for a 5th birthday Star Wars party. .

Ohh..who did that? DS wants a star wars party...this will be a huge hit. I can't sew, but my mother of the Star Wars cakes can, so I might pass this on to her.

I did think when I was looking at the blog pics, that many of the people that were helping her were using their talents, and I wonder if it's a I'll make the owl costumes for your DD's party, and can you make the cookies for my next party...And the photography was excellent, definitely someone who's a professional..we have a friend that took our wedding photos as our present as he's a photographer, maybe lots of bartering going on too.

HannaAddict
02-08-2011, 03:11 AM
I fell into the trap last summer. I am a creative type and occasionally I give into my inner artiste. My boys' birthdays are a week a part so I asked what each wanted for their birthday parties. Cha cha wanted an Indiana Jones party. Gator wanted Chuck E. Cheese.
Both my boys went to each other's party. Guess which one they LOVED??? The Chuck E, Cheese party. They loved it so much that even Cha cha wants his birthday party there next year. It's all they've talked about for months now, but the Indiana Jones party is long forgotten.

I'm convinced those big, splashy parties are all.about.the.parents. If you don't love doing that stuff/wanna impress someone/make up for the crappy parties you had as a kid/wanna boost your own business, there is just no way you are going to do it. I, for one have learned my lesson.

And make no mistake- DIY parties are EXPENSIVE. For the paint I used on the boxes for the back drop on the obstacle course, the gold paint, the glitter, spray adhesive, styrofoam cooler for the treasure chest, all the props, the food, the drinks, the jewels, the fake Holy Grails, etc., etc., all that ads up. Chuck E. Cheese was less than half the price for the same number of kids. Boy, did I learn my lesson!

I totally agree that Chuck E. Cheese is considered a fab party venue among the kids. Mine has asked for it too off and on . . . luckily or unluckily the closest one is twenty minutes or more by freeway away! The parents in our area would be rolling their eyes and ready to kill me if we broke down and did it. Kids love video games. But I disagree that the fun parties are all about the parents, or at least all about the parents in a negative connotation which is how some of the other posts seem to read, IKWM. Some of it is, in that as a parent I enjoy planning and putting together the party. But my kids like their parties and will go to a party and ask "what is the theme" which is pretty funny considering I am about as far from an event planner as you can get. I also agree DIY can be expensive too, unless you are in the biz as the owl lady and her family appear to be, then it is more time than money and looks like something they love doing for their friends and family.

Fairy
02-08-2011, 03:30 AM
I don't have a problem with this. Some people have means. They chose where to spend those means. If I had these means, I'm sure I'd do a version of the things she did. I wouldn't do owls. But my invitations are gorgeous, I know it, and I love doing them. Other people take the postcards from Chuck E. Cheese and fill them out. That's their thing, no judgment from me. Those pastries on sticks? FanFreakinTastic. I want to do that. The back to basics activities, like painting the owls and musical chairs and pin the tail? Great. And I really loved that "Film Festivaly" backdrop so people could take pix. How cheap and fun is that?! I'm doing that next year, too. I didn't love it all, like I don't wanna moniker everything with DS's name cuz no one wants other kids names on their stuff. That's the arrogant part of it, to me. And the giveaways were a bit skewed in age and, yes, a bit much.

But, again, this chick has a thing, clearly this is hers, and I say a big so what? I'm gonna copy alot of what I saw there. I take so much pride in DS's bday parties. He's got a finite amount of them, and I want them to be memorable, not just for him, but for me and DH, too. He's the only kid we've got, and we celebrate his bday for ourselves, too, with a bittersweet joy that our baby is another year older.

Was it excessive? Yeah, for me it was a bit much. But that's me. I'm still gonna borrow some of the ideas ...

Fairy
02-08-2011, 03:35 AM

I wasn't sure that wasn't the case, too! I was like, is someone thinking they need to keep up with me and my anti-BOC'ness or somethin'? But then i thought, no has to be that fairy bday thread, tho there was a glimmer of worry. Whew!

Fairy
02-08-2011, 03:36 AM
I have to say that I think that party was really sweet. I really don't understand why people get upset at these types of parties. If it's not your style, then don't have one like this. I throw my kids parties that come close to these because I enjoy doing it for my kids and I love watching them have fun at the parties. It bothers me to think that people attending the parties might be mad at me for throwing them.

Last year when my younger daughter turned four, I turn my whole house into a Candyland Board game. The kids followed felt squares from room to room and each room was a different stop on the board. For the twins first birthday, I turned my backyard into a Mickey Mouse Carnival complete with homemade disney themed carnival games and food. Just yesturday I had a Lady Bug and Butterfly Brunch for my girls and we filled our house with handmade tissue flowers and huge painted butterflys and had tons of ladybug and butterfly desserts.

I agree with those who have pointed out that these parties don't always cost that much money. I am a crafty person and I spend a lot of time and energy creating parties for my four. My girls are older now and they love to help me make the party stuff. We'll spend weeks making decorations and baking cookies and cakes.

Also, my girls remember their parties and love looking at the pictures from them.

This is a GREAT idea. Hmm ... more food for though fro next year ...

Fairy
02-08-2011, 03:54 AM
I totally understand why people get upset over these types of parties. Because I don't have the time, resources or creativity to do one. If my 6yo were to go to a party like that, she would likely be asking me for one just like it. She has already asked for a huge bounce house like one at a party we went to. It was $300 to rent one that big - I spent less than that on her entire party. She also wants a playroom because her friends have one. We don't have an extra room to make a playroom. I get tired of "disappointing" her and having to explain why we can't have XYZ like her friends do.

I guess I understand that it can be stressful to go to a fabulous party or see something that people you know have, and then have to explain to DCs why they can't have the same thing. When DS goes to Pump It Up, he asks me every time, please can we have my party there. No, no, and hell no. We cannot. I hate it there. I wouldn't go there if you paid me a thousand dollars. *hatred* But he loves it, so great, he can go to other kids parties, and I don't judge the moms for having them there, even if it means I have to tell DS for the 17th time that no, I'm sorry, we cannot have it there. Why? Because, that's why, and we just move along. But if we're applying that to playrooms, I guess I just don't know where the analogy stops. Most of DS's friends live in townhomes; we live in a house. I cannot worry about how those moms are gonna feel if their kid comes over here on a playdate. And I will not stop throwing big, relatively elaborate parties. If parents feel like they have to keep up with me, then they reeeeally don't know me at all.

Like I said before, I'm going to learn from this chick and borrow some of the great ideas, even if I wouldn't have chosen all of them.

HannaAddict
02-08-2011, 04:03 AM
I might be more immune to this amazing party too since I can waste copious amounts of time on www.ohdeedoh.com (kid's apartment therapy site) and torture myself with the amazing parties parents throw. They are every bit as fabulous as the owl party but often smaller, sometimes bigger, but with style and design and helped by etsy. I liberally borrow ideas from them or just wish I could . . .

So, for those who don't like design rich parties, stay away from ohdeedoh! It will make your head explode from the cuteness, sophistication and style. :)

citymama
02-08-2011, 04:38 AM
I might be more immune to this amazing party too since I can waste copious amounts of time on www.ohdeedoh.com (http://www.ohdeedoh.com) (kid's apartment therapy site) and torture myself with the amazing parties parents throw. They are every bit as fabulous as the owl party but often smaller, sometimes bigger, but with style and design and helped by etsy. I liberally borrow ideas from them or just wish I could . . .

So, for those who don't like design rich parties, stay away from ohdeedoh! It will make your head explode from the cuteness, sophistication and style. :)

Is there something like ohdeedoh for grown up rooms and home decor in general? I'm so not a home decorator but would love some ideas for our new home!

MamaSnoo
02-08-2011, 08:07 AM
The party is absolutely gorgeous. Honestly, if my DD was invited, I would come home feeling a little bad about how un-elaborate our parties are (so far we have just done cupcakes and a banner with family only....but she is only 2).

However, I think, in this case, this is as much about promoting her business as anything else. She seems to have a cool business that she really enjoys; no one can fault her for that. It is nice that her little girl could benefit from her promotional activities.

Personally, I do not have the time and energy to put into designing a party like that. I would rather spend my free time playing with DD, but I work long hours and have very limited free time. If I had more time on my hands, I think it would be fun to do up a bunch of crafty stuff for a party. It would be esp. fun if DD like crafts too and could participate in the preparation (might not look as nice). However, I doubt I would take it that far...NMS.

egoldber
02-08-2011, 08:23 AM
I originally posted before realizing she was a professional baker and perhaps party planner. It make me feel somewhat better to know that this is essentially a catalog shoot for her business. Although I do wonder how her kids will feel about that in their later years.

I think Katie put her finger on what bothers me. It is not the elaborateness of the party. I love parties. I love to throw parties. I love to DIY and make things. But this is a faux "DIY" party at best. She's a professional with a professional kitchen and from the description it took her and 7 other people to set it all up. Because I don't care how crafty you are, to DIY this would take many man hours of time and several hundred dollars, at minimum, of materials. Any 1 or 2 of these elements would be super fun. All of them at the same party is just way too much IMO.

And it just makes *me* personally very uncomfortable to be that elaborate for a child's birthday party.

WolfpackMom
02-08-2011, 09:05 AM
I saw an ad last night for Outrageous Kids Parties on TLC, new shoe about extravagant children's parties. The ad had a little girl cheering out how her party as going to be budgeted for $15k not $1500.:eek: Now that show should give some interesting discussion...

Ceepa
02-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Is there something like ohdeedoh for grown up rooms and home decor in general? I'm so not a home decorator but would love some ideas for our new home!

The Apartment Therapy portion has great ideas for grown-ups. :)

babybunny
02-08-2011, 09:47 AM
She has an incredible talent and energy and obviously is using this party to promote her business. Her daughter and friends and adult friends (I'm sure) enjoy a magical celebration that is over the top, but that adds to the charm to a point. ( I agree that I would have an issue with the sugar overload -- my DS at 3 went to an extravgant party and threw up after over-indulging in sugar treats half way through...he recovered and was running around again 5 minutes later once he rested his belly).
I did a super hero party for my son at 4 including making superhero capes for each boy, pink princess capes for the girls, etc. DH was ready to kill me, and swore we would never do another party ourselves. (He was asked to blow up with the compressor those stand up punching bags and that pushed him over the top). Just prior to his next birthday, DS suggested that I could make capes again -- Oh no, that is NOT going to happen. I loved doing it, but frankly I felt a little weird with all of the praise from the other moms.

PAfirsttimemom
02-08-2011, 10:28 AM
The price has to be up there, even with the DIY aspect, but to me the craziest parts are the labor-intensiveness and the time suck of it all. Just coordinating her stable of workhorses and plodding along daily for weeks for a 5 year-old's party to me is loopy.

Seriously, how does she have time for anything else with all this party planning? My son's 5th bday is in about a month, and I still don't know what we are doing. Better get on that!

Fairy
02-08-2011, 10:39 AM
I saw an ad last night for Outrageous Kids Parties on TLC, new shoe about extravagant children's parties. The ad had a little girl cheering out how her party as going to be budgeted for $15k not $1500.:eek: Now that show should give some interesting discussion...

Now that is a whole 'nother discussion. There is having an elaborate party, and then there is bragging about how much money is being spent at your elaborate party. I am wholly against that kind of arrogance and showing off. It's possible to have a party like this and have some humility at the same time. Her business notwithstanding, just remove that from the equation (and no one's saying THIS person's kid did that). I grew up in an area where there were people with alot of money, and then there were people down the street of very average means. You never knew who was loaded and who wasn't cuz it wasn't discussed. Anyway, getting off track, sorry. I have my line in the sand between acceptable and ridiculous, we all have one. This ain't it for me. But behavior is a whole different topic. If I ever caught my child bragging about how expensive soemthing was or his perceived status, I can tell you, it wouldn't be pretty.

MissyAg94
02-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I just think this much extravagance at a child's birthday party really sends the wrong message...one of entitlement and one of self absorption.

I don't look down on her at all and my opinion isn't one of jealousy (I can do anything I set my mind to)...this type of party just isn't for us.

candaceb
02-08-2011, 11:12 AM
Beautiful party! Whats the link to the fairy party everyone is talking about>

Here's the fairy party:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/05/my-girl-her-really-fabulous-party.html

lmintzer
02-08-2011, 11:20 AM
While this party seems a little over-the-top to me, I do appreciate creative, home-made parties. I love the owl theme (cute and original), and the costumes and masks are fun and something the kids will use for dress-up in the future. Honestly, it was just the food that seemed excessive to me, but that's the mom's business, so it's not a surprise that that element would be spotlighted.

There is no way for us to know what was really motivating her. Some throw big parties for show. Others love creating and crafting and want nothing more than to create a magical environment that their child will remember (in part through the photos) forever.

I have enjoyed doing many home-made parties. It started out when my oldest was 1. I made the decorations for his "stars and moon" themed party. The next year, I made animal decorations for his jungle party. And so on and so on. Not every party we do is at home, but I always try to add a creative element--to put my personal touch on it. That's just who I am. If others don't like it or think I am trying to one-up them, then they really have it wrong. I had a blast making a "Death Star pinata" for one party and big paper Truffula trees for another. I don't do eleaborate food (I'm not a good cook), but I like decorations and crafts.

At any rate, live and let live. It's certainly a ton of fun to page through pictures of these parties (like the Fairy party and the recent "Bloom Where You are Planted" party she hosted for her younger daughter).

WolfpackMom
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Here's the fairy party:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/05/my-girl-her-really-fabulous-party.html

On Another note from this site, this mom was also featured in Parents a few months ago for her very touching story about the birth of her younger DD with downs syndrome. The full story is on her blog here:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

Karinyc
02-08-2011, 11:38 AM
While this party seems a little over-the-top to me, I do appreciate creative, home-made parties. I love the owl theme (cute and original), and the costumes and masks are fun and something the kids will use for dress-up in the future. Honestly, it was just the food that seemed excessive to me, but that's the mom's business, so it's not a surprise that that element would be spotlighted.

There is no way for us to know what was really motivating her. Some throw big parties for show. Others love creating and crafting and want nothing more than to create a magical environment that their child will remember (in part through the photos) forever.

Obviously the blog promotes her business, so it doesn't seem out of the ordinary that she would create such a party & post it there. The only thing that jumps out at me as having "lots of money" is the setting (if that is her house) & size of the party. I love the attention to details (honestly, most seems home-made, just like the fairy party). My DH & I are artistic so we could pull something like that off (except for the space :)) Overall, awesome party...I love owls!

vahnessuh
02-08-2011, 05:19 PM
I think both parties are lovely. But really, to each his own. You throw the party you want to throw, that's all there is to it. If she thinks this is worth spending money for... it's her money to spend. Do I think there's things worthy to spend on? Absolutely! But in the end, I only have control over what I do... not what other people do. I'm quite surprised at some of the venom I've read on this thread.... seems very high school to me.

Melaine
02-08-2011, 05:31 PM
On Another note from this site, this mom was also featured in Parents a few months ago for her very touching story about the birth of her younger DD with downs syndrome. The full story is on her blog here:
http://www.kellehampton.com/2010/01/nella-cordelia-birth-story.html

I'm crying for the second time reading that article. I was so touched by it.

calv
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I'm crying for the second time reading that article. I was so touched by it.

she has a beautiful blog doesn't she? I love her photos, obviously she's a photograher! <3

as far as the fancy party. to each their own. if you have the time, great. If you have the money, great. If you have the talent great. I'm sure many roll their eyes at the type of baby showers and bday parties the celebs get/throw, what's wrong w/her party, especially if it's her forte/business? another one who loves the owl theme!

MMMommy
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
I think great for her to have thrown such a well organized, beautifully decorated and themed birthday party for her little one. Would her daughter have been just as happy with a less elaborate party? Probably. But I'm sure her daughter was thrilled with this party! Either way, it was a beautifully done party. I don't have a creative bone in my body, and I could never put together something so cute. I am surprised by the negative feedback. I don't see it as trying to outdo anybody else or about trying to throw around a lot of money. This is the mom's trade, and she is clearly creative and talented at what she does. It is a great way for her to showcase her work and to throw a fantastic party. To each his own, and if that is what the mother wanted to do for her daughter, I say all the more power to her!

TwinFoxes
02-08-2011, 05:40 PM
If I ever caught my child bragging about how expensive soemthing was or his perceived status, I can tell you, it wouldn't be pretty.

Seriously.

momof2girls
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
I was surprised that she emailed the etsy seller 80 times jsut to get an invitation right. Seriously, my wedding invitations did not require that much thought! You'd think the seller, after mayber email #50, would have told her to look elsewhere for her perfect invitations.
Also, it seems this lady had lots of helpful friends. I can't imagine bothering my friends to help with my over-the-top kids party.

minnie-zb
02-08-2011, 05:44 PM
Wow! What cool parties. Stuff like that really inspires me and their creativity is fabulous.

Great ideas! :bighand:

alien_host
02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
I think both parties were nicely done with a great attention to detail. I don't think I saw the Fairy one before, but I remember the Parents article...I mean this lady had personalized champagne glasses to celebrate the birth in the hospital, so clearly she is crafty.

I think part of it is the fabulous photography. The photos really show the details and are lovely.

I also feel that for the Owl Party (love the theme!) that since the mom is in the cookie/cake business, a lot of the stuff comes naturally to her. The decorations were awesome. The invite mentioned dinner and she didn't show any of that food so who knows what they had. She was showcasing her baked treats and decor. I think it came out great.

I do think her Elmo party had too much candy though, and the goldfish...well I don't know what to say to that really. And we did an elmo party for 2 and used almost the same wording so I think she stole my ideas ;)

I've done a few biggish parties for DD but each subsequent one has been less detailed and more licensed themed. Her first birthday had a lot of little details but no where near as beautiful as these parties. Favors for the adults and kids...I tailored the kids ones to their age. I handmade the invites, the cake was gorgeous (my neighbor is a wedding cake decorator and made it for us for the price of a grocery store cake). Sure it was for DH and I....DD could care less about these details, but we had fun throwing it. However I've gotten burned out and can't seem to muster the time or energy to do that many details!

So all the power to these ladies if they can pull it off. I would LOVE to attend a party like this and wouldn't feel I had to explain to DD since she knows all parties are different. And you know what? After she leaves each party she says, "that was the best party EVER".

gatorsmom
02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
After she leaves each party she says, "that was the best party EVER".

:rotflmao: So true!

edurnemk
02-08-2011, 06:58 PM
I think it's absolutely adorable, but I wouldn't be comfortable throwing a party like that for my DD...time and finances aside. It's a birthday, it's not a graduation, it's not anything that is celebrating an accomplishment or something to be proud of. For accomplishment celebrations...heck yeah...I plan to go ALL OUT as a way to congratulate my kids for their hard work. I just think this much extravagance at a child's birthday party really sends the wrong message...one of entitlement and one of self absorption.

Exactly my thoughts.

Everything there looked amazing, but I'd worry about the message it sends the kids, and the pressure the girl's friends feel to have an equally amazing party (and the moms might feel pressured too). The mom's a professional and she's promoting her business, but I don't think the kids will understand that.

Other than that I was just SHOCKED by the amount of sugary stuff and candy at her parties (especially the sesame street one). That would probably bother me as a guest, that my kid would get all sugared up.

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-08-2011, 07:14 PM
The only negative I have is that I wonder what she does with all the 'stuff' when she's done? Does she have a store front that it goes to? What is she going to do tomorrow or next year with those brown table cloths, and all those candy jars. I'm hoping she uses them for work and that they don't end up in the land fill.

That's what I wonder about. I like to throw parties and I'm pretty crafty (I did all of our wedding things and we were in a wedding magazine), but I can't justify making a bunch of stuff or buying a bunch of table cloths specifically for a party. What do I do with it after? It just seems wasteful. I'm not referring to money, but rather things.

Anyways, it was very pretty. And so was the fairy party. Even though I was a negative poster in that thread. :rotflmao: I just sometimes get the feeling with these types of blogs that it's for show, not for real life. I have a blog for family and sometimes I do feel like we're putting on an act. Like instead of enjoying a beautiful day at the beach, we're trying to get a good shot for the blog. We've cut back a lot and just try to enjoy ourselves!

dcmom2b3
02-08-2011, 08:38 PM
My wedding was not that fancy. So what the heck is she going to do for 6?

Much less her wedding. As I was scrolling through the pictures, I found myself thinking I'd hate to be that child's wedding planner . . .

ourbabygirl
02-08-2011, 10:11 PM
See, I just looked/ read through the fairy party blog (thanks to PP for the link), and I much prefer that one! She's not so in-your-face over-the-top like the owl party lady, and I just feel like she did everything by hand (except the cake that her friend made), and really made it a fun experience for the guests, as much as her daughter, the birthday girl. She painted the signs and cards for the food & drink, and really put creative thought into what everything looked like (variations of pink and green) and what she called everything (with the enchanted/ fairy theme). I like that the party was in the 'woods;' I'm assuming she didn't have to pay anyone to use that location. And there was just a simple long table & mismatched folding chairs with decorations that she probably got from Target (I think I've seen those plates there), Michael's, and her local florist (Gerbera daisies). I like how she had the kids do simple crafts that were age-appropriate, and there wasn't way too much sugar and candy, which is especially important for young kids. I liked the group photo they took and it just seemed more laid back, but fun- she didn't have perfect labels printed out for everything; there were shots of Kool-aid and Hi-C, and she personalized the favors for the kids and even gave thoughtful favors to the moms, who are really the ones that should be celebrated for raising the kids! ;)
I went in to the link expecting to be annoyed by another over-indulgent party, but I was just charmed and feel like her explanation before the pictures & party really matched the feeling of the party... the joy of being a mom, of celebrating her little girl, and sharing the happiness with friends and family.

scriptkitten
02-09-2011, 12:09 AM

exactly. i think this is all kinds of awesome.