PDA

View Full Version : DD2 getting tubes on Monday. Tell me what to expect.

wendibird22
02-07-2011, 05:11 PM
I've posted a few times about DD2 (1yo) recurrent and frequent problems with EIs that always take multiple abx to clear up. She was scheduled for tubes in mid-March but has yet another EI and our ped didn't want her to wait that long so he was able to push us into a different ENT practice who evaluated her today (no active EI but fluid like glue) and scheduled tubes for next Monday (happy Valentine's Day to us). DH took her to the appointment so I haven't gotten the run down but I do know the basics (no food/drink after midnight, gas sedation, 10min procedure, etc.).

Anything else that I should plan for or know to expect?

DH indicated that the ENT said since she's a baby he'll do her first before the "older" kids and that she'd be fine for daycare later that day. What?! That surprised me.

jenfromnj
02-07-2011, 05:19 PM
Lots of good vibes coming your way!

DH indicated that the ENT said since she's a baby he'll do her first before the "older" kids and that she'd be fine for daycare later that day. What?! That surprised me.

I haven't been through ear tubes, but IME and from speaking to friends with young kids, the above is true around here--it seems that due to the no eating after midnight rule, they try to get the youngest kids in first b/c it would be hardest on them to be hungry/thirsty.

WolfpackMom
02-07-2011, 05:24 PM
DS went first since he was the youngest (12mos). Our experience wasn t "normal" with tubes so I can't attest to much else except that Im glad we got them done (last Friday) and so far things are looking good.
I would not anticipate going to daycare for the day, our discharge papers specify rest, quiet play, and keeping an eye out for elevated temperature, excessive crying, keeping DS from pulling on his ears, giving tylenol/ibprofun. Most babies are also fussy coming out of anesthesia and that can last for a little while per the nurses (crying jags etc - anesthesia meds can affect the body for 24 hours). I would plan to have someone be home with him.

Good luck, I am sure your DD will get some relief from the tubes! :)

HIU8
02-07-2011, 05:37 PM
My ENT always does the youngest first as well. DD was fine after a couple of hours of resting. Our experience with DD was normal (although she had her tonsils and adenoids out at the same time). The surgery didn't take long at all. We have had experience with DD coming out of anesthesia already (she bites) so we knew what to expect. The one thing I did not know was that in children anesthesia can cause night terrors. DD did have these for about 2 weeks post surgery. I spoke to the ENT and was basically told that they should go away on their own. They did, so I didn't worry.

Also, DD got an ear infection about 4 months post surgery. She woke up with yellow gook on her pillow. ENT had warned me that if she did get an infection it would drain immediately. I called, took her in and she was put on meds to clear it up. No issues since (it's been 13 months since surgery).

MaiseyDog
02-07-2011, 05:45 PM
That sounds pretty typical to me. DD2 had tubes at about 18 months. They took gave her some Versed in the preop room which made her act loopy and then took her to the OR. I had a meeting in a building across from the children's hospital so I left once they took her back to the OR. DH called before I made it to my meeting that they were done. My meeting lasted about an hour and when I saw her she was completely back to normal. We all stayed home the rest of the day, but she didn't really rest. Who can MAKE an 18 month old rest? but we did keep things low key.

She had just had bladder surgery about 2 weeks prior to this, so we knew she didn't have any problems with anesthesia and honestly, to us, it was a breeze. Honestly, the worst part was the drainage afterwords. She had really thick gunky fluid and it drained for about 3 days. I have a bit of a weak stomach, and I found it really gross.

wendibird22
02-08-2011, 11:44 AM
Thanks all for sharing your experiences. I'll plan to take the entire day off from work JIC. The ENT told DH that she had very thick fluid in both ears (he called them the worlds best ear plugs) so now I know to expect to see some drainage afterwards. And thanks for the heads up on night terrors. DD2 hasn't had them before but DD1 gets them when she's sick and running a fever.

catsnkid
02-08-2011, 12:51 PM
We reported to the scheduled surgery center in the hospital. Ds was about the same age. I brought some toys for him to play with while we waited. I was glad I brought my stroller.Met with anesthiasologist and his ENT doc as well as nurses. Everyone else who was having surgery that day was also waiting, we were the second people. We were giving a choice of "flavors" for his gas. I went in dressed in scrubs when they put him out. Bring your bottle or sippy cup and hide it, when DC gets out they will be thirsty. The nurses gave me some apple juice which he slugged down. When we got home he took a long nap and that was it.

ETA- no problems since and no drainage to speak of. We were given some drops to put in for a few days after.

SummerBaby
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
My DD had ear tubes and an adenoidectomy last week. She is 6, so our experience was a little different, but she was fine. Her surgery was at 12:30 and we were home by 2:30. The only bad part was she really cried when she came out of the anesthesia. We could her her shrieking that she wanted to go home before the doors to the recovery room opened! She cried for about 45 minutes and then all of a sudden sat up and said she wanted to go to the gift shop on the way out. :). We got home and she was fine. Her ENT also said she had "glue ear" but he was able to thoroughly drain it. She had a little bloody drainage that night after I put her ear drops in (you need to do them for 3 days post op) but nothing bad. The great part is her hearing is great now! Good luck with your DD!

HIU8
02-08-2011, 01:00 PM
Oh yeah. I forgot about the drops. DD also had really thick fluid, but the ENT managed to really get it out. DD had no noticeable drainage at all immediately after the surgery.