PDA

View Full Version : Sherwin Williams paint

boilermakermom
02-07-2011, 06:25 PM
Has anyone ever used Sherwin Williams paint? What is so special about it? I found a paint color I love, but it is Sherwin Williams brand. The local store gave me a price of $70/gallon. Yikes! It is a bit out of my price range! I usually use Valspar paint from Lowes and are happy with the results.

ellies mom
02-07-2011, 06:27 PM
Wow. I've used Sherwin Williams several times and have never spent that much much money on a gallon of their paint. Not even half of that.

khm
02-07-2011, 06:30 PM
My chain hardware store will mix up any brand's color. I'm sure they all do. I was too lazy to go to the benjamin moore store, so they did it for me in Behr or Valspar or whatever it was there.

katydid1971
02-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Has anyone ever used Sherwin Williams paint? What is so special about it? I found a paint color I love, but it is Sherwin Williams brand. The local store gave me a price of $70/gallon. Yikes! It is a bit out of my price range! I usually use Valspar paint from Lowes and are happy with the results.

Is that for interior or exterior paint? I have SW for the exterior and paid something like that but it will last 10 years OUTSIDE!!! Behr will match an color for interior.

ohiomom1121
02-07-2011, 06:49 PM
I go to Home Depot and just tell them the SW color name-they have them in their computers.

AnnieW625
02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
If you have AAA you can get a discount on it, and they often have sales. We bought the Harmony paint for DD1's room and were very happy with it. We like it 1,000,000x better than Behr from Home Depot (to this day I don't get why that paint gets such good reviews from people, and from Consumer Reports). Valspar from Lowe's does make a nice primer though; we've never tried their paint though.

My parents painted the outside of their home with Sherwin Williams in 1978 and didn't have to repaint again until 1992 or 1993 (I can't remember, but we did it as a family; my parents are big do it yourselfers). It is great paint, and will most likely be the paint we reuse when we repaint our house in a few years.

If you are in the Southwest another great brand is Dunn Edwards. We have used that in our house too, but SW Harmony is a little less stinky and just as good so I think for the time being it has the edge.

WatchingThemGrow
02-07-2011, 06:57 PM
I use only SW paint. It is awesome in that it covers in one coat, has consistent coloring from can to can, dries well/uniformly, and is just really nice paint. What kind was it that you were quoted for? I've asked for discounts there and always gotten them.

Two years ago, we had most of the interior of our house painted. The guys usually use another premium brand because it is close to the someone's house. I insisted on SW, and they *all* remarked how much nicer it was to paint with and how well it covered. Seems weird to feel so strongly about paint, but I do...

Melbel
02-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Our painters prefer SW too because it covers well. We have not paid NEARLY that price though (close to half that amount sounds right). Professional painters get preferred pricing.

boolady
02-07-2011, 08:37 PM
We used SW paint in our living room, upstairs and downstairs hallways, stair hall, and DD's room. We are really happy with how it went on and is holding up. DH and I thought it went on like a dream compared to Benjamin Moore. That said, we did not remotely pay anything like $70 per gallon...the pp who said about 1/2, give or take, of that is accurate, at least around here.

Swallowbird23
02-07-2011, 08:42 PM
We love the SW paint but we always wait for their sales. Our store frequently has sales with 40% off all paints (they have had these sales at least twice since we moved into our new house this past September) The paint we buy (Cashmere something) has been wonderful and with the 40% off, it's not a bad price

mytwosons
02-07-2011, 08:48 PM
I love SW paint! It goes on so easily, and with no splatter or drips, that I actually enjoy painting. However, I don't pay nearly that much for their top of the line interior. I buy from the SW store and always buy on sale or with a coupon. I can always get 30% off and they often have 40% off. But I really don't know how they gave you that price. I want to say the most expensive interior is about $40/gallon before any discount.

Babymakes3
02-07-2011, 10:00 PM
I just bought a gallon of SW Promar 200 paint the other day. I had already painted my bathroom the color "ramie" and decided to do my laundry room but ran out of paint. My brother does remodels and buys his paint there so I bought it under him only he wasn't with me this time. I had a hard time deciding what to do (my bro wasn't answering his phone!) when the guy told me the paint was $60/gallon and he was wondering why I had contractor grade paint in the first place. Needless to say my brother called back and I bought it under him for only $15. That is quite the markup!

WatchingThemGrow
02-08-2011, 12:03 AM
Just looked it up - Duration is the really good one, I'm pretty sure. maybe it was $42/gallon?

boilermakermom
02-08-2011, 09:06 AM
I called my local store, and it turns out the employee that gave me the price of $70/gallon is no longer employed there. He was fired b/c he was giving false prices to customers. Nice!

Where are the coupons available? I have always heard great things about SW paint - I think I'll give it a try!

Thanks!!!!!

BeachBum
02-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Yeah, $42/ gallon is right for the Duration. But, if you set up a corporate account you get big discounts...or if you hire a painter, put it under his account. It's usually 20-30% off.

WatchingThemGrow
02-08-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah, $42/ gallon is right for the Duration. But, if you set up a corporate account you get big discounts...or if you hire a painter, put it under his account. It's usually 20-30% off.
ok, this is weird, but...our painter's negotiated price (through corporate salesperson?) was higher than what MY frequent customer price was. I ended up purchasing the stuff and toting it to our house (half mile away) which helped them get set up and started earlier, so it all worked out. I'm 90% sure we used it outside too.

eta: totally weird about the employee giving false prices..???

carolinamama
02-08-2011, 10:49 AM
We are painting the interior of our house right now. We bought the SW low voc paint since we are just painting over our existing SW paint in the same color. We have been very happy with it - it is going on well (probably not as well as the regular paint) but I am LOVING the lack of paint fumes smell in our house. I can't believe how much more comfortable it is for me to be in a newly painted room with it. I'm usually prone to migraines triggered by certain smells and this hasn't caused any. Just another idea if it is something you are looking for.

Mikey0709
02-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Alot of answers here - but i usually see coupons for them in the SUnday paper with the regular coupons. I also LOVE their paint!

RunnerDuck
02-08-2011, 11:47 AM
Many rooms of our house were done with SW. Since we have moved in all the painting we have done is with Behr. I really find the Behr cleans up easier - like if you're cleaning something off the wall, less paint comes off with it. So personally I don't see why it is so praised. I am happy with Behr.

mytwosons
02-08-2011, 11:56 AM
Sign up for their emails and they will regularly email you coupons. You can also sign up in the store and they will snail mail you coupons. But, once you sign up in store, you get an automatic 10% off if you buy it under your account (i.e. give them your name when you check out).

I think you just missed 40% off over the weekend. Maybe google to confirm it was this weekend. If it was, ask the manager to honor it for you since you would have purchased had the employee not lied to you.

mytwosons
02-08-2011, 11:57 AM
eta: totally weird about the employee giving false prices..???

I bet they were somehow pocketing the difference.

BabbyO
02-08-2011, 12:41 PM
We've used SW paint for every room in our house except our bedroom because they couldn't match a Behr color we really liked. We'll be painting the outside this spring and expect to use SW paint, too. I agree with PP's regarding both the ease of painting (seems to cover more and better than other paints). In 2 years DH and I painted every room in our house, 1/2 the rooms in his G-ma's house when we were prepping it to sell and 1/2 the rooms in a family rental property. SW is definitely one of my fav's.

You can definitely get coupons, sign up in store to get discounts, get email coupons and save in lots of way's on their paints. However, the best deal I ever got was a discount card good for 1 yr after visiting the SW booth at a local home improvement show. I think every gallon of paint was 40 or 50% off. It more than covered the admission we paid to get into the show.

GL!

Nyfeara
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
We've painted most of our interior with SW Duration. Love it! As PP have said, our local store is typically $35-40/gallon. You can buy during one of their 40% off sales & then take the base back to have it tinted/colored at a later date. We bought several rooms worth of 'base' paint and then had their designer came out & do a free color consultation for us. We then took the base back and had it tinted based on our consultation. Even if the required base was different, they had no problem just doing an exchange and tinting the 'new' base.

brittone2
02-08-2011, 01:04 PM
We like Benjamin Moore, although I got some samples of SW/Duron for our new house. Our Ben Moore paint store is run by a really knowledgeable and awesome owner who is great with tips and advice when I ask. Our SW store tends to often be staffed by college-aged kids and I don't think they have the same expertise. I have read most BM stores are privately owned but SW is mostly corporate owned, but I don't know how true that is. In my area, I like the expertise at BM and we really like using Aura (although it is spendy).