PDA

View Full Version : ugh......no mommy can do it all....can they?

AnnieW625
02-08-2011, 01:46 AM
If you saw my now deleted section of my post in the lounge in the birthday thread I am sorry if I offended anyone with my lack of sense of humor, but honestly that post must have hit me at a low point for me to even make me think to post what I said. I usually don't post that type of stuff (and I have never once said anything that mean about a single person, esp. someone I don't know) unless I am feeling inadequate, and for whatever reason seeing all of those photos of the perfect parties, and perfect looking mom with treats galore, and being able to rent a wedding site for a 5 yr. old's party just made me ill and I got defensive.

I doubt I could ever have a party like that or a blog or business like that (secretly stuff I wish I could've thought of many moons ago when no one had a sugary sweet perfect blog or $$$ cooking business), but it's just not possible and while I do love my career and the fact that I chose to work, posts and blogs like that make me feel like a failure of a parent, and a creative failure. Of course I am not, but my creativity only goes so far and I just don't have the hours to do it all.

Again I am very sorry for the post and deleted the insulting part at the moderators request, which is 1000% valid, and excellent mods are what makes this board run smoothly.

No replies are needed, just wanted to say I am sorry.

niccig
02-08-2011, 01:52 AM
:hug: Annie. I totally get it. You're a fabulous mummy and your girls don't need all the tulle and handcrafted doo dads...they know you're the best.

DebbieJ
02-08-2011, 01:55 AM
I didn't read that thread so no offense taken.:)

We are all doing the best we can do and our kids love us for it.

elektra
02-08-2011, 01:59 AM
No worries Annie. I was a hater in the fairy party thread whenever that was. I can't quite put my finger on exactly why, but there is something about the pictures from both the fairy party and that owl party that get me all grouchy too.

citymama
02-08-2011, 02:14 AM
I have no idea what you're talking about but sending you hugs coz you sound low! You're a wonderful mommy!

HannaAddict
02-08-2011, 03:27 AM
I didn't see your particular post, but if it makes you feel any better, Arlington, WA where the site is, is the middle of nowhere, a one judge (not a good judge) town and famous for their DUI tavern "The Stump" which is why I laughed when I saw they used the stumps for display. It might be a wedding venue, but is cheap to rent and looks far better on film than in real life. Don't feel badly!!!

egoldber
02-08-2011, 08:30 AM
Annie, I saw your post and had the same visceral reaction. NO ONE can do it all. She's a professional and had a small army of people helping her. That was not a family DIY type party, I don't care how crafty you are. And part of what really bothered me was the implication in there that it was just soooo easy to whip this together if only you are creative enough or crafty enough.

MoJo
02-08-2011, 08:50 AM
NO ONE can do it all. She's a professional and had a small army of people helping her.

:yeahthat:

There is NO reason for you to feel inadequate as one person compared to the MANY who put that party together. The treats are about the only thing the mom herself did, and that's what she does for a living. . . so she has equipment and experience and probably space to put those together faster than the rest of us could.

:hug:

WolfpackMom
02-08-2011, 08:57 AM

There is NO reason for you to feel inadequate as one person compared to the MANY who put that party together. The treats are about the only thing the mom herself did, and that's what she does for a living. . . so she has equipment and experience and probably space to put those together faster than the rest of us could.

:hug:

:yeahthat: She had an army of little craft helpers and boat loads of money it seems to back her up. I am pretty crafty and love parties, BUT we don't have that kind of money and least of all that kind of time so DS will never have an extravagant party like that, and frankly I don't want him to. It doesn't make me a bad parent, nor does it make DS deprived, its just not for us and thats totally fine.

I could tell from your comment that it just rubbed you the wrong way, photo montages like that of other people's "perfect" little lives sometimes make me feel crappy too, I wasn't offended by what Iyou said, I totally get it sometimes words leave our mouths (or our finger tips) before we have a chance to think about it. :hug:

hbridge
02-08-2011, 10:25 AM
Not only did she have a boat load of helpers and unlimited funds, she was probably using it as a backdrop for photos to advertise her business.

That said, I am sure there were less than perfect moments. DC wanted to have friends wear masks at a party once and NO ONE other than DC would wear one. So, my first reaction to the article was, "wow, wonder how they got masks on those kids".

NO ONE can do everything and birthday parties are about happy kids, not the "fluff". DC was actually happier at the jump place party than the ritsy bakery party we had. At the jump place she could invite everyone while at the bakery we had a very limited number of guests. While we, as parents, loved the bakery party, DC preferred a place where ALL of her friends could be included!

Hugs! No one needs to throw a party at the level unless they REALLY want to! The key is to HAVE FUN!

bubbaray
02-08-2011, 10:45 AM
I missed the controversey, but both the owl and fairy party rubbed me the wrong way too. I can't put my finger on why. Its not jealousy because those kind of parties are NMS. They just seems so over the top, consumerist, I dunno. Kinda "in your face"?

Anyway, yeah, no one can do it all.

RunnerDuck
02-08-2011, 10:46 AM
No mommy can do it all but they can blog about it in such a way that they sure look as if they can.

When I looked at that pic - and pics like it - I wondered, how happy is this couple inside, really?

FWIW I thought your comment was hilarious.

But I don't really seem to fit in here at all so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

I missed the controversey, but both the owl and fairy party rubbed me the wrong way too. I can't put my finger on why. Its not jealousy because those kind of parties are NMS. They just seems so over the top, consumerist, I dunno. Kinda "in your face"?

Anyway, yeah, no one can do it all.

It bothers me because while people will defend her and say "Oh that's just her style, some people are more CRAFTY" and all - I feel like it's total mompetition to show just HOW crafty you can be. At a certain point it goes beyond "I like to make stuff" and crosses the line into "I like to show off how I am so much more awesome than you will ever be."

It cracked me up how on the elmo party link, one of the comments was "I love how simple and non-commercial it was!" Were we looking at the same pictures??? (The comments on the blog itself, not on this site)

eta - I also despise the "look how perfect my life is!" blogs. Suddenly everyone needs to take pictures of every crafty thing they make (basking in the oooohs and awwwws even when it wasn't original, they copied it from somewhere else)... every meal they cook, artfully arranged... everyone has to take pics with the foreground very sharp and the background artistically blurred... everyone needs pictures of feet... everyone needs a pic of their little girls hand holding a carefully chosen prop... etc. Everyone is trying to be the most unique perfect best most put together mom ... in the exact same way. This lady at least has a business to promote through her blog but for many others it's pure self glorification.

The icing on the cake is when the blog also has MUSIC.

larig
02-08-2011, 11:26 AM
your explanation makes perfect sense. I think you're one of the nicest people on this board. :grouphug:

BabyBearsMom
02-08-2011, 11:50 AM
:hug: I totally get it Annie. Just because everything looks perfect in the pictures doesn't mean it is (not trying to be nasty about the blog or the person, just saying that pictures don't tell the whole story). You are a great mom, raising two great girls and working FT. As far as I am concerned, you are a mommy who is doing it all!

mommylamb
02-08-2011, 12:07 PM
:kisscheek:Awe, I'm so sorry you're feeling like that. I missed your post, but mostly because I tried to steer clear of that B-day party thread. Honestly, I just wasn't that interested. I did open it up when I thought it was about our Fairy, but then promptly closed it.

I'm not an uber creative person either, and it would never dawn on me to do that sort of thing. I still love my little boy more than anything in the world, and I know that's how you feel about your DDs.

And, no mom can do it all. That mom is sacrificing something else in order to orchestrate that kind of party. I'm sure it's worth the sacrifice to her. But this is one of those "whatever" sorts of things. Don't let it get you down.

Minnifer
02-08-2011, 12:25 PM
I feel like it's total mompetition to show just HOW crafty you can be. At a certain point it goes beyond "I like to make stuff" and crosses the line into "I like to show off how I am so much more awesome than you will ever be."

eta - I also despise the "look how perfect my life is!" blogs. Suddenly everyone needs to take pictures of every crafty thing they make (basking in the oooohs and awwwws even when it wasn't original, they copied it from somewhere else)... every meal they cook, artfully arranged... everyone has to take pics with the foreground very sharp and the background artistically blurred... everyone needs pictures of feet... everyone needs a pic of their little girls hand holding a carefully chosen prop... etc. Everyone is trying to be the most unique perfect best most put together mom ... in the exact same way.

RunnerDuck - :bowdown: I just had to say that your post cracked me up, esp the above! I've had these same thoughts looking at these kind of blogs (and the pics from that party)!

And Annie, :hug: ! (and if I had seen your comments I'm sure I wouldn't have been offended, probably would have laughed - I'm the least creative person I know and so far out of the mom-petition world that I don't even try, lol).

egoldber
02-08-2011, 12:35 PM
I also despise the "look how perfect my life is!" blogs.

It's funny, I used to follow some blogs like this and then I stopped. It just made me feel bad. I did get some good ideas sometimes, but I found I was reading blogs vs doing the fun stuff. :o I realized after awhile that a lot of these people were doing it as a business and to make money, either by selling crafts or books or something.

WatchingThemGrow
02-08-2011, 12:39 PM
Annie, :hug: we love you, and many of us felt the same way. It actually came to my mind that when people feel the need to be over the top in one realm, there's likely another realm that's really suffering, because just as you said...no mommy can do it all!

RunnerDuck, I think what you said is right on!

Globetrotter
02-08-2011, 12:44 PM
I have nothing against the party, but I know from my perfectionist friends that nothing is as seamless as it looks. Like the beautiful friend with beautiful children and a fabulous career and huge house. She is a control freak! We went camping and she wanted to make kebabs (skewered veggies and tofu, I think?) and she put us all to work doing it for a large group! So instead of doing my version of easy camping food, we spent two hours creating her perfect vision. DH still talks about it because he doesn't get it, either :) She is a pain to be around because of her expectations, and I suspect there is some crankiness behind the scenes to produce that perfect image.

chottumommy
02-08-2011, 12:58 PM
No mommy can do it all and I personally feel no mommy needs to do it all. I donot believe we as mommies need to create a perfect world for our children but rather help our children create the world that they want to live in.

I get rubbed the wrong way too seeing all the over the top blogs. It does seem "in your face" and even if you do it all yourself it is a form of extreme consumerism. These are blogs, for the whole of the world to see and it seems so self indulgent to show off with hundreds of pictures of a birthday party of a child.

golightly1118
02-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Another thing to remember with blogs (and, I've been finding out, Facebook) is that people will only show their best side to the world. Out of all my friends on FB, only one posts about her kid having tantrums-everyone else posts about the funny/smart/adorable thing their kid did. Plus I've noticed all the pictures posted always have a spotless home in the background, and all the family members always look fresh and happy-this has to be selective editing at it's finest.

That said, I am a 'crafty mom'-I love to knit and sew things for DD to wear, and I was a pastry chef who did a lot of speciality cakes, cookies and party trays before I became a SAHM. So you bet my kiddo is going to have over the top cakes, but it's something I enjoy doing (and don't get to do very often anymore), and I would never judge another mom who just wanted a sheet cake from the grocery store for her kid's birthday-it's not my business.

Globetrotter
02-08-2011, 02:45 PM
-this has to be selective editing at it's finest.

:yeahthat: especially when they are also plugging their business. - in this case, it is marketing. I mean, now we all know about Jenny's Cookies, don't we? :) She's no dummy!

wendibird22
02-08-2011, 02:51 PM
Nope, no mommy can do it all. I thought a mom of DD1's preschool friends was doing it all. Her FB posts were always about the latest and greatest project, craft, trip, cooking thing she was doing with her DD. Every preschool party resulted in some cut, homemade treat or gifty being brought home crafted by that mom. I was jealous and wished I had the time and energy to compete. Then one day we were invited to her house for a play date and her interior and yard were a disaster. The property looked like a junk yard of CL finds waiting to be repurposed but hadn't been yet and her interior was circa 1960s and not at all clean. So every time I think someone is doing it all I remember this and know there's some skeleton in that woman's closet.

TwinFoxes
02-08-2011, 02:56 PM
Annie we all have bad days and bad moments. Regardless what we think of the owl party, I don't think anyone on this board thinks you should feel badly about yourself. Hang in there kiddo! :hug:

momm
02-08-2011, 02:59 PM
:22:
I didn't read the post but :22: to you. You are obviously a wonderful mommy and person.

LarsMal
02-08-2011, 03:17 PM
No mommy can do it all but they can blog about it in such a way that they sure look as if they can.

When I looked at that pic - and pics like it - I wondered, how happy is this couple inside, really?

FWIW I thought your comment was hilarious.

But I don't really seem to fit in here at all so take that with a grain of salt. ;)

:yeahthat: And I've been here for a long time, so you fit in just fine (or maybe I don't belong here anymore ;) ). Was the comment appropriate for the board? Probably not- but I can't say I wasn't thinking the same thing!!

:hug: Annie, don't be so hard on yourself. We are all doing the best we can and the kind of party you throw your child in NO WAY determines what kind of parent you are!! I was so proud of my streamers and white chocolate crowns I made for M's party. This woman's site made me feel bad for half a second, until I remembered just how much fun the girls had at M's party, and it wasn't anything like that one.

arivecchi
02-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Annie, missed the controversy, but please don't feel bad. You are a kind and thoughtful poster.

Heck, I buy a dozen cupcakes and call it a birthday! :)

sste
02-08-2011, 03:58 PM
I also missed the post. But, I am way impressed with this post - - there aren't all that many apologies on BB, at least not as gracious as yours. :)

I have Severe Craft Envy too.

I think parents (at least me) get themselves more worked up about kid's parties than the kids. When I was a child my mother went way overboard with parties, tons of decorations, spending we could not afford. I was a fairly shy child and the entire thing was a mixed bag for me - - fun but also quite stressful for days leading up to the party.

mousemom
02-08-2011, 04:14 PM
I've also been steering clear of that thread after looking at a couple of the pictures, so I missed your comment. But I absolutely agree that no one of us can do it all. Whether you're WOHM, SAHM or any other variation, there's never enough time in the day, so when we choose to focus on one thing, something else gets put aside. :hug5: Hope you're feeling better!

carolinamama
02-08-2011, 04:48 PM
I didn't see your post because I didn't even click on the blog link since I knew it would make me feel inadequate as a mother so I get what you are saying. Just remember, your girls love you and you are the most special woman in their lives. You are a great mother because you are providing for them and raising them in the real world. It takes alot of effort on my part to convince myself that I don't have to be the "perfect mother", just the "good enough" mother for my kids. That means my best, not someone else's.

Puddy73
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
:hug5: We all have bad days and sometimes the bad feelings just bubble up in a way that we didn't intend them to. I enjoy your posts and I'm glad that you are around. Just remember that everyone has their priorities in a different order. The Mommy who throws perfect parties may also be the Mommy who never reads to her kids, never feeds them vegetables and drinks a big glass of gin every night. Nobody is perfect, we just do the best we can day to day.

MMMommy
02-08-2011, 06:01 PM
I was surprised by the negativity of many posters on the owl party thread, but I didn't take any personal offense to your comments or others. You are entitled to feel the way you do, and it doesn't make you any less of a mother or person. I could never have the skills to throw such a party. I know my limits.

So don't feel bad. Feel what you need to feel and just know that it is okay.

gatorsmom
02-08-2011, 09:19 PM
And part of what really bothered me was the implication in there that it was just soooo easy to whip this together if only you are creative enough or crafty enough.

This is exactly why I get irritated with the fairy party and owl party threads. That whole underlying message of, "aren't I clever? This didn't cost much because I did it all myself. Anyone can give their child this kind of party if they are creative enough (and if you can't, then YOU must not be very creative or must not care enough)." I opened the Elmo party thread and the mom said she had spent 3 weeks putting it together. Total BS. That Elmo party took a LOT longer than 3 weeks to put together. And if it did only take 3 weeks, then she had a LOT of people working on it. And it was expensive, there is no doubt in my mind. So, by lying, she is trying to make herself appear better than she is. And she is essentially saying she's better than me. And that isn't kind.

Now, if she admitted that she got so stressed that her DH had to move out a week before the party to avoid her rage or her 5 year old was so upset with how stressed mommy was that she pooper her big girl pants about an hour before the party, I'd actually feel better and happy for her accomplishment. Because NO ONE is perfect and it's totally refreshing (and imo, shows self-confidence) to admit that. And it's kind to let the rest of us know that she wasn't perfect. She's just like the rest of us.

fivi2
02-08-2011, 09:22 PM
Annie, I saw your post and had the same visceral reaction. NO ONE can do it all. She's a professional and had a small army of people helping her. That was not a family DIY type party, I don't care how crafty you are. And part of what really bothered me was the implication in there that it was just soooo easy to whip this together if only you are creative enough or crafty enough.

I thought your post was harmless venting!

eta: The owl party thing reminded me a of an article (blurb, post, something I read somewhere) talking about technology and teen girls. And how basically (for some of them) their real lives were just to provide photo ops for their facebook pages or blogs or whatever. They weren't enjoying their lives - they were just posing for pics so they could post them and show everyone how great their lives were (did that make sense?). the mom/author was saying that is why she took her kid's electronics away... (obviously not everyone and every blog is like that, but the owl party made me think of that comment)

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Now, if she admitted that she got so stressed that her DH had to move out a week before the party to avoid her rage or her 5 year old was so upset with how stressed mommy was that she pooper her big girl pants about an hour before the party, I'd actually feel better and happy for her accomplishment. Because NO ONE is perfect and it's totally refreshing (and imo, shows self-confidence) to admit that. And it's kind to let the rest of us know that she wasn't perfect. She's just like the rest of us.

I now kick everyone out the day of a party because I am a stressed out control freak. And it kind of shows when the guests arrive. I'm usually frantic for the frst 15 minutes then it's all good. So, the guests get to see my adorable cakes and decorations as well as my deranged madness. So, hopefully it all balances out. ;)

Beth

Uno-Mom
02-08-2011, 09:30 PM
When I saw your post I thought : uh oh - I bet she'll regret that one. It's totally like the smart-arse things I sometimes write out in an email ... click SEND ... then smack my forehead. I wasn't bothered about it myself, but you can just tell.

I hope you're done smacking your forehead. :) Your online personality is very kind and thoughtful. You shouldn't feel bad.

But boy - I can commiserate with your feelings! I've just picked up a bigger load of contracting work and so I'm seeing Sprog even less than usual. (Plus I'm deadly sick this week - which is why I've done so much posting in the last couple days. That's all I can manage right now!)

I am so sad to do all these hours away from her. Intellectually, I know she's lovign the time with Daddy (whether I'm working or too sick to be around her). And we really need the money. It's just temporary. But I hate it.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-08-2011, 10:29 PM
your explanation makes perfect sense. I think you're one of the nicest people on this board. :grouphug:

while i wasn't bothered by the owl party pics as many were, i get where you are coming from Annie. i don't follow mommy blogs usually, maybe for the same reason as you. i only see them occasionally (like when someone posts a link on here,like the owl party thread and the one about Kelle Hampton's fairy party ). so i guess i get enjoyment from the party pics mostly in a "wow, that's cool talent!" or "i'll have to steal/copy that idea" sense, and that's it. I don't think i could follow this owl party mom's or any person's mommy blog (unless it was a good friend or something) on a regular basis, because i'd personally eventually be sickened too by constantly reading about how great and talented some mom is.

as PP said, i think us as moms tend to forget that many people's blogs are more like a photo-resume rather than a photo journal (especially this owl-party mom, with all the links to her cookie-business, of course it's only going to show the good stuff and professional-quality crafts etc). lots of mommy blogs only include the pics of smiling happy mama and perfectly behaving kids and will look like everything is hunky-dory, and won't talk about the tantrums their kid had or how mommy is about to pull her hair out the night before the party.

MamaMolly
02-08-2011, 10:33 PM
Go easy on yourself. When I read your post I thought it was out of character for you, and figured something about the blog had rubbed you the wrong way. FWIW I didn't take any offense to it. Maybe because the blog irritated me, too? For instance, why does she need to point out that the invites match her DD's *PBK* bedding. Why not just say bedding? It is the intentional addition of the brand that curled my lip. Funny thing though~ I didn't mind the fairy party blog in the least. For one thing the blogger seems SO sincere and maybe a little wacky in a fun way. I though the fairy party was was full of cute ideas I could swipe..on a much smaller scale of course.

One of my friends has as her FB status: being a perfectionist doesn't make you perfect.

Ceepa
02-08-2011, 11:05 PM
eta: The owl party thing reminded me a of an article (blurb, post, something I read somewhere) talking about technology and teen girls. And how basically (for some of them) their real lives were just to provide photo ops for their facebook pages or blogs or whatever. They weren't enjoying their lives - they were just posing for pics so they could post them and show everyone how great their lives were (did that make sense?). the mom/author was saying that is why she took her kid's electronics away... (obviously not everyone and every blog is like that, but the owl party made me think of that comment)

I thought this was a great point and did a quick search. I didn't find the article mentioned but did find a piece dealing with this same observation. A growing number of blogs definitely fall into the same territory. The proof of fun. Proof of a good life.

http://deborahstokol.com/2009/12/15/test-6/

fivi2
02-09-2011, 12:17 AM
I thought this was a great point and did a quick search. I didn't find the article mentioned but did find a piece dealing with this same observation. A growing number of blogs definitely fall into the same territory. The proof of fun. Proof of a good life.

http://deborahstokol.com/2009/12/15/test-6/

I did find the article I was thinking of - it was just a brief bit in it:
http://www.statesman.com/life/mom-unplugs-family-writes-a-book-1204952.html

this was the quote I was thinking of:

Like so many teens, they couldn't do their homework without simultaneously listening to music, updating Facebook and trading instant messages. If they were amused, instead of laughing, they actually said "LOL" aloud. Her girls had become mere "accessories of their own social-networking profile, as if real life were simply a dress rehearsal (or more accurately, a photo op) for the next status update."

brgnmom
02-09-2011, 01:40 AM
I think I missed out on the threads being referenced, but I just wanted to offer my hugs. :hug: I'm a SAHM and I haven't even thrown an elaborate bday party for my DS and he'll be 5 in the summer. And we chose a valentine card gift set from CVS that my DS just signed his name on. :) I think we did homemade cards last year, but I don't have the energy for that this year.

mom2binsd
02-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Annie, I missed your post but I'm sure nobody who knows you would be offended, we all need to vent sometimes.

I stopped reading the thread as I was getting ready to comment and it wasn't very positive...all those pics with all the pretty/perfect people etc rubbed me the wrong way.

Take care, and I think that fact that you posted this thread shows a lot!:hug5:

MMMommy
02-09-2011, 01:14 PM
I do agree that everyone pictured looked like they came out of a Babystyle (what used to be Babystyle) catalog. Very picture perfect, "we look like models" pictures for the picture booth pics. That was the only thing that bugged me. I was wowed by the artistry and creativity of the party itself.

mommy111
02-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Annie, missed your post but when I looked at those party pics, all I could think of was, man this woman feeds her family a ton of sugary junk. Yes you can paint it red and blue and pink and put pretty labels, but in the end its junk.
And another thought that is too politically incorrect to articulate, so I shall desist :)

niccig
02-09-2011, 02:13 PM
I do agree that everyone pictured looked like they came out of a Babystyle (what used to be Babystyle) catalog. Very picture perfect, "we look like models" pictures for the picture booth pics.

Remember there were a lot more photos taken and only the good ones were used. And the skill of the photographer...we have amazing photos of DS and I taken by DH, and not so great photos of DS and DH taken by me. DH has this filter on his lenses that make the colours pop, and then some photo shop tweaking and wow, do I look good!

MMMommy
02-10-2011, 01:31 AM
Remember there were a lot more photos taken and only the good ones were used. And the skill of the photographer...we have amazing photos of DS and I taken by DH, and not so great photos of DS and DH taken by me. DH has this filter on his lenses that make the colours pop, and then some photo shop tweaking and wow, do I look good!

Man, I would need complete head and body retouching and cut and paste in order to look as good as they did in those pics! They looked so darn picture perfect.

zoestargrove
02-10-2011, 12:11 PM
[QUOTE=RunnerDuck;3031795]

It bothers me because while people will defend her and say "Oh that's just her style, some people are more CRAFTY" and all - I feel like it's total mompetition to show just HOW crafty you can be. At a certain point it goes beyond "I like to make stuff" and crosses the line into "I like to show off how I am so much more awesome than you will ever be."

eta - I also despise the "look how perfect my life is!" blogs. Suddenly everyone needs to take pictures of every crafty thing they make (basking in the oooohs and awwwws even when it wasn't original, they copied it from somewhere else)... every meal they cook, artfully arranged... everyone has to take pics with the foreground very sharp and the background artistically blurred... everyone needs pictures of feet... everyone needs a pic of their little girls hand holding a carefully chosen prop... etc. Everyone is trying to be the most unique perfect best most put together mom ... in the exact same way. This lady at least has a business to promote through her blog but for many others it's pure self glorification. [QUOTE]

well said RunnerDuck! I rolled my eyes quite a bit at that blog posting and I think you hit the nail on the head as to why that was my initial reaction.

Annie, I didn't take offense to what you said or think that it came off as mean spirited. It sounded just as you explained here and I totally get that reaction. Sure, the party was creative and lovely, but behind all that was quite a bit that didn't sit well with me either. I think of myself as crafty and creative, but there simply isn't enough time to execute all my ideas without compromising something.

To be honest I was most jealous of the army of helpers she had to put that party together.

squimp
02-10-2011, 05:25 PM
Man, I would need complete head and body retouching and cut and paste in order to look as good as they did in those pics! They looked so darn picture perfect.

Yep, I would need more than photoshop and some color filters to look that good! :D

smiles33
02-10-2011, 05:35 PM
[QUOTE=RunnerDuck;3031795]

To be honest I was most jealous of the army of helpers she had to put that party together.

:yeahthat: Makes me realize I have NO ONE in my life who I could even ask to do that kind of thing for me....

gatorsmom
02-10-2011, 10:08 PM
[QUOTE=zoestargrove;3034397]

:yeahthat: Makes me realize I have NO ONE in my life who I could even ask to do that kind of thing for me....

You throw enough money around and you'd be amazed at the army you could assemble.

Corie
02-11-2011, 09:22 AM
I still like you. :)

AnnieW625
02-11-2011, 12:29 PM
[QUOTE=smiles33;3034879]

You throw enough money around and you'd be amazed at the army you could assemble.

My thoughts exactly!

Thank you all. This has turned out to be a good week! Now I really have lots of work to do today as I am off on Monday so if I am here too much tell me to go back to work!

Tondi G
02-12-2011, 09:52 PM
I tried to get really crafty for one of my DS's birthdays .... we had a "carnival" theme and man it was WAY too much work. My Ds loved it but not because I hand painted signs and went nuts. He loved the rented snow cone machine and the popcorn machine. I've learned that while it is fun to see it all come together it really is just too much. So much easier to grab some plates and napkins in the "theme" of my kiddos choice, rent a bouncer and order some pizzas.... they like it just fine!