PDA

View Full Version : Toddler Congested ALL The Time - suggestions?

L'sMommy
02-08-2011, 10:22 AM
DS just started school and has been congested now for over a month. It's not going away. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that he can just cough out phlegm and instead tries to (successfully) throw up to get rid of it. Any suggestions for constatntly congested kids? We haven't given him anything yet. No fever, and coughing here and there. He's definitely not "sick", acts totally normal. Just very congested.

elliput
02-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Have you had him tested for allergies?

L'sMommy
02-08-2011, 11:00 AM
Yep - was tested for every comman allergy out there, about 9 months ago. Not allergic to anything.

calv
02-08-2011, 11:08 AM
sounds exactly what we're going through. see my Bendryl post. ugggh, she too throws up and eventually the coughing stops. it's awful. i swear post nasal drip is so awful for kids!!

i'd do claritin or bendryl to dry things out.

boilermakermom
02-08-2011, 03:22 PM
i am sure you have thought of this, but do you run a humidifier? it helps to thin mucous.

blue
02-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Do they have a class pet? In fourth grade we moved and I started a new school. I was constantly coughing and congested, no one could figure out why. Until my dad found out my class had hamsters and put two and two together. The teacher took the hamsters away, and my allergies stopped. Not a great way for me to make friends in a new school, being the cause of the kids loosing their pet. But it worked.

I also second the humidifer. With my DS, what helps him with his congestion during colds is "Little Noses Saline Spray".

I hope find something that works!

edurnemk
02-08-2011, 04:58 PM
Yep - was tested for every comman allergy out there, about 9 months ago. Not allergic to anything.

How old is he? Our allergist had us delay the tests until he's 3.5 because he says the results are not accurate at an earlier age. Even though we don't know what he's allergic to yet, DS is being treated for his allergies already (daily antihistamine and other RX until his sinuses clear up). The allergist confirmed he had post-nasal drip and after a CT scan he confirmed it's allergic rhinitis and this has caused a severe chronic sinusitis and recurring EI's. He had no symptoms from the sinusitis. We'll have him tested in a few months to find out what he's allergic to.

DS was acting just as you describe your DS, always congested, runny nose, sometimes coughing, but not acting sick, he was active as usual.

The only remedies I can think of that don't involve decongestant or allergy treatment are: humidifier, saline nose spray, and thermo rub.

Finally, milk can cause congestion, even if he's not allergic to it. This was true for me, I cut out all dairy for good and I feel so much better.

ett
02-08-2011, 05:32 PM

Not sure how old your DS is but I would consider 9 months to be a long enough gap to test him again. Like PP mentioned, allergy results are not accurate in young children so results may different now.

BabyBearsMom
02-08-2011, 05:35 PM
Get a nebulizer (you need a prescription). We used it for DD and it finally thinned out the mucus enough for her to cough it up and be done. WIthin 9 days of using the nebulizer, she was 100% better. It felt like forever at the time (see my b*tching posts about it) but I am so happy she is breathing easy now.

L'sMommy
02-08-2011, 06:53 PM
Yes, we use a humidifier in his room all the time.

No, they don't have a class pet, but we have a pet at home. That's a good point about getting him allergy tested again. He was tested when he was 15 months.

I will try the saline drops....i have some but have never used them.

naam
02-08-2011, 10:18 PM
How old is he? Our allergist had us delay the tests until he's 3.5 because he says the results are not accurate at an earlier age.

:yeahthat:

You could try allergy testing again and/or OTC allergy meds. Also, as mentioned, a humidifier might help and squirting a little saline up each nostril daily.