PDA

View Full Version : Sea Sponge Tampons

zephyr
02-08-2011, 05:47 PM
Have any of you tried the sea sponge tampons? http://www.gladrags.com/p-35-jade-and-pearl-menstrual-sea-sponges.aspx I have tried the Diva cup and didn't like it so I was looking for an alternative to that and found these. Any feedback would be great!

fortato
02-08-2011, 11:39 PM
I haven't used them, ever, and I don't think I would... I guess I just wouldn't ever feel like they would ever be truly clean after using them....

I love my Diva cup- but I can understand if it isn't for everyone. Sea Sponge tampons... sort of give me the willies.

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2011, 11:40 PM
Interested to hear more. I like the idea. I can't use the Diva cup b/c of my IUD so an alternative to the mainstream stuff would be nice.

Uno-Mom
02-09-2011, 01:41 AM
I have nothing constructive to offer. But now you guys have me looped on that Southpark episode that kind of touches on these products. I won't go into it for reasons that you can probably guess ... but if you've seen it, you know the one I mean! :)

Fairy
02-09-2011, 01:44 AM
I have to say, as someone who just uses pads and will always use pads, I have used tampons and still will if forced (e.g., no pads available). Never tried the Diva cup and just know it isn't for me. But sea sponge is not something I'd ever be willing to try. It's a creature. It was alive once. Can't stick it up my vajayjay. Interesting discussion, tho, I'll be lurking!

Ceepa
02-09-2011, 09:38 AM
Honestly my first reaction was "poor sea sponge." :rotflmao:

Hope someone can answer your questions.

zephyr
02-09-2011, 07:41 PM
You guys are funny!

zag95
02-09-2011, 07:53 PM
I have to say, as someone who just uses pads and will always use pads, I have used tampons and still will if forced (e.g., no pads available). Never tried the Diva cup and just know it isn't for me. But sea sponge is not something I'd ever be willing to try. It's a creature. It was alive once. Can't stick it up my vajayjay. Interesting discussion, tho, I'll be lurking!

:yeahthat: True that mama!!! :hysterical:

kep
02-09-2011, 07:57 PM
Did you guys see the last part, below the description? Can you imagine buying these for someone as a gift?? :rotflmao:

Jade and Pearl Sea Sponge Tampons are another great reusable, all-natural internal menstrual option from the past. Sustainably harvested and naturally bleached with hydrogen peroxide, sea sponge tampons are easy to use and easy on your wallet. Your sea sponge tampons will last you at least six months.

To use, simply moisten or wash out and reinsert every 4 - 6 hours, or as often as you would change a tampon.* If you find the sponges you receive are too big, use scissors to trim around the perimeter until the desired size is reached.

Shopping for a special someone? Reusable Gift Bags are eco-friendly and make pretty presents! >>>

amldaley
02-09-2011, 10:35 PM
Did you guys see the last part, below the description? Can you imagine buying these for someone as a gift?? :rotflmao:

Well, Valentines Day IS right around the corner, now, isn't it????

Uno-Mom
02-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Well, Valentines Day IS right around the corner, now, isn't it????

Yeah, that "special someone" part implies it's a romantic gift. Awww.

AshleyAnn
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
I can't even begin to imagine attempting to wash out a spounge soaked with menstral fluids. Gross. I don't even like trying to wash out my panties when they get spots.

AnnieW625
02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
I have thought about using a Diva or Moon cup, but that's about as far to the alternative as I will go.

gatorsmom
02-11-2011, 12:06 AM
Sea sponge? The first thing I thought was I don't need anything making me smell "fishy" down there.

firemama
02-11-2011, 12:25 AM
Sea sponge? The first thing I thought was I don't need anything making me smell "fishy" down there. :rotflmao: Hi.lar.ious!!! Have thought about using alternatives, but this sounds weird. I don't know if I could wash this out.

Fairy
02-11-2011, 12:32 AM
Sea sponge? The first thing I thought was I don't need anything making me smell "fishy" down there.

Ohmigod! Hahahahaha! :hysterical:

Nice!

natness
02-11-2011, 02:00 AM
Have any of you tried the sea sponge tampons? http://www.gladrags.com/p-35-jade-and-pearl-menstrual-sea-sponges.aspx I have tried the Diva cup and didn't like it so I was looking for an alternative to that and found these. Any feedback would be great!

I don't use these, but here is an article that you might find helpful:

http://thecloththatcounts.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/men-folk-may-not-be-interested/

What was it that you didn't like about the Diva Cup? It took me a while to get comfortable with it; about 3 cycles. Quite a learning curve to figure out how to get it in the right spot. Now I love it.

zephyr
02-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Natness, thanks for that article. It was helpful. I didn't like the diva cup because, even though I was using the smaller sized one, it still felt like I was being stretched down there whenever I had it on. (sorry if TMI). Although I am still going to try the sea sponges. Maybe I will post and let everyone know if I liked them or not.

bubbaray
02-11-2011, 04:14 PM
OP, I had the same issue with the Diva cup. Just did.not.work.for.me.

I will say that I would be really really REALLY horrified to have something that was once living but now dead residing, even temporarily, in my vajayjay. I mean, someone is harvesting sea sponges for this use, which just doesn't sit well with me. YMMV

Graffy
02-11-2011, 04:29 PM
I don't use these, but here is an article that you might find helpful:

http://thecloththatcounts.wordpress.com/2010/06/07/men-folk-may-not-be-interested/

Hmm, I'm very intrigued. I've been using cloth pads since my first pp period in November, and I have a Diva Cup that I haven't had the guts to try yet. If that doesn't work for me I would definitely give these a try. I hate the bleached yuckiness of tampons, but I hate pads, too. I'll probably find the perfect solution just in time for menopause...

artvandalay
02-11-2011, 05:04 PM
Oh man, I could not stick a sea sponge up my hoo-ha. Just sayin'

Melaine
02-11-2011, 05:22 PM
I know that a lot of people use sea sponges, but I'm another die-hard Diva girl. If you didn't like it, you might want to try one of the other cups, I know different ones fit different people different ways. I feel good about the medical-grade silicone and the fact that it can be boiled for sterilization. It's more of a sanitary concern for me, not sure I feel that the sea sponge could be completely cleanable.
Just FYI, my sister was not able to use the Diva when she had a tilted uterus but now that that has been corrected, she loves it.

elektra
02-11-2011, 05:39 PM
I will say that I would be really really REALLY horrified to have something that was once living but now dead residing, even temporarily, in my vajayjay.

:hysterical:

Sometimes I really just have to embrace the modern technology over a more "natural" way of doing things, you know?