PDA

View Full Version : What all to move from our house to new location?

SammyeGail
02-08-2011, 06:03 PM
This is a 2 part question, first is that we have a lot of junk that needs to be gone thru and purged. DH thinks he knows what is sentimental to me (or things I want to keep). He doesn't. There are boxes that have never been unpacked from when we moved in the house 5-07 :bag. Its all in the garage and its bad. I also have my old chicco highchairs in great shape, lots of baby and toddler gear all shrink wrapped. Craigslist in our previous area stunk. I was trying to get in on one of the twins club consignment sales, I just didn't get there. I kept using that $50 fee to join as an excuse, lol.

DH thinks he can go thru the garage and donate all the baby gear to goodwill. I feel all the anxiety like those people on Hoarders, seriously.

The company is paying for 1 move of our stuff. We will have to rent a storage unit no matter what. It will be a move done by professionals. I feel if we just move everything I can go thru it myself down here, kwim? Plus the craigslist here in Panama City Beach is awesome! Only drawback is that we may have to rent a 2nd storage unit for maybe 3 months.

I also have a niece who is pregnant, just started her 4th month. Her DH is sort of a loser. I would love to give as much to her as I can. Right now she is the only one working. They have no insurance.

This plan helps my comfort level, tremendously. How do I get DH to understand this?

Second, furniture. Our house is aprx. 1950 sq feet. The townhouse we are renting is 1500. The TH has 1 larger BR downstairs and 2 upstairs. We plan to sleep upstairs near the boys. The 'living area' is like this condo, kitchen with bar open to a place to put your table and a den area, its not very big. We thought of making the BR downstairs a play room and store some stuff down there, just plastic totes or extra dresser or chest, nothing dangerous like tools.

I think we can bring almost everything. We have a friend staying at our house, she was DS's pre-school teacher, we call her our property manager, lol. Our dogs are still there, she is taking care of them. Our cat had a seizure and died a week after we left :crying:.

We plan to leave out old set of queen mattresses set up in the Master, I have a comforter set that looks great with the paint color. We will leave the loveseat and take the couch. Our den is rectangle, I have one of these at each end (in black), don't know if I should bring both or leave one for staging:

http://www4.jcpenney.com/jcp/x6.aspx?CatNum=RN744-7042B&JSEnabled=false&hdnOnGo=true&cmResetCat=true&CmCatId=searchresults&SO=0&PSO=0&CmCatId=searchresults

The thing is with the stuff we leave is that we will move it ourselves later, at our cost. We have an extra set of twin mattresses I could make up and put in an upstairs bedroom for staging.

A restriction is that we can't rent a U-Haul that is a separate truck. With my medical issues I know I would not be able to drive the car back myself. Staying with DH in a moving truck it could run into a 9-10 hour drive. I'm guessing, so far its been an 8 hour drive and the last 2 hours are horrible on the boys.

So we can only bring back what will fit on a U-Haul that would attach to our Expedition.

I want to bring both the couch and loveseat, but understand DH's point that our friend will have nothing to sit/lay on. She likes to sleep on the couch. We have a rocker that is like an oversized chair we were going to put in the den also.

I understand the staging point also. I just don't know what to do???? Which of the pieces to leave for a little staging? Sorry this ended up being so long!

SnuggleBuggles
02-08-2011, 06:09 PM
Can you rent furniture to stage your house/ for your friend?

I'd probably move it all now. You will have to pay again to move it out of storage so you already have 1 move you will have to pay for. If you leave stuff behind that is 2 out 3 moves you need to pay for.

Beth

minnie-zb
02-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Don't leave anything. I know it doesn't seem like a big deal now, but when the time comes it will be a hassle to go back and do it.

I'd think long and hard about moving all of the stuff in the garage. If you haven't done anything with it so far, I wouldn't count on getting it done once you are moved. I speak from experience.