PDA

View Full Version : Asthma question

jren
02-08-2011, 07:05 PM
My 2 yo DS was dx with RAD in Nov and now asthma. He had been coughing every night, and only mildly improved with Albuterol so we added Pulmicort and a second round of orapred a few weeks ago. We had ONE night with no cough and then slowly got worse to now non-stop coughing. Went back to dr today and she added Singulair and another round of Orapred. Gave that to him as soon as we got home @10am. Then gave Albuterol at 2pm, no improvement. Nothing is helping. He's still coughing every 5 seconds or so. What else can we do? Will it just take time for the new meds to kick in? Am I missing something here?

turtle12
02-08-2011, 07:10 PM
oraped takes about 12 hours to kick in. i would give him more albuterol (2 puffs via spacer) and call the doctor. if he's having wheezing or has a tight chest, then i recommend taking him in so they can give him albuterol via nebulizer.

jren
02-08-2011, 07:20 PM
oraped takes about 12 hours to kick in. i would give him more albuterol (2 puffs via spacer) and call the doctor. if he's having wheezing or has a tight chest, then i recommend taking him in so they can give him albuterol via nebulizer.

I will be counting off the hours to 12! We're actually administering the Albuterol and Pulmicort via nebulizer at home. The Albuterol says every 4 to 6 hours as needed. But I'm not noticing it helping at all. Actually, just noticed it's been 4 hours so I'm going to go ahead and try it again and then do Pulmicort. The coughing has given me a headache, I can't imagine how he feels!

melissaflorida
02-08-2011, 08:27 PM
Be careful. My 6 yo daughter has asthma and just spent 5 nights in the hospital with pneumonia. The treatments were not stopping her coughing with the same med's you are on. The Er took a chest X-ray and there was pneumonia.

Good luck,

Melissa

jren
02-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Be careful. My 6 yo daughter has asthma and just spent 5 nights in the hospital with pneumonia. The treatments were not stopping her coughing with the same med's you are on. The Er took a chest X-ray and there was pneumonia.

Good luck,

Melissa

I am so sorry about your DD! Pneumonia is what started this whole mess back in Nov. So scary to see your DC like that. I thought for sure when we went in today we would be sent for chest Xray, but his chest sounded clear. I'm lying in bed with him so I can listen tonight, and he is breathing faster.

bubbaray
02-08-2011, 09:55 PM
I actually would take him to the ER based on what you describe.

turtle12
02-08-2011, 10:17 PM
the steroids should be kicking in now...if not, i would call the doctor/urgent care. they can administer a lot more albuterol via nebs to get it under control...

good luck -- hope you all can get some rest tonite!!

melissaflorida
02-08-2011, 10:23 PM
I actually would take him to the ER based on what you describe.

I agree!