PDA

View Full Version : SMALL UPDATE POST 21: Dairy free hummus roll up recipe?

crl
02-10-2011, 05:14 PM
I'd like to make some dairy free hummus roll ups to cut into those pretty circles for a small party. Suggestions for a recipe? I'd prefer vegetarian and egg free too.

Thanks!
Catherine

Green22
02-10-2011, 05:23 PM
We often do hummus pizza, and you could just do the same on flatbread and roll them up before you bake, or not bake at all. I've added red onions, red peppers, cucumbers, yellow peppers and black olives, then bake.

Not too glamourous but an idea.

citymama
02-10-2011, 05:55 PM
I guess I don't understand - why would a hummus roll-up ever be anything but dairy-free and vegetarian unless you go out of your way to add meat/cheese? Hummus = chick peas, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, lemon juice, salt. Use pita or lavash bread for wrap. Add the hummus, and then you can add finely chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro (or make tabbouleh), and other fixin's like falafel, roasted red peppers etc if you are more adventurous/ambitious. Yum!

amldaley
02-10-2011, 06:02 PM
Are you looking for a hummus recipe or a roll up recipe?

I can't find a recipe similar to what we make, but will keep looking. I make hummus every week for us at home.

This week, however, I am making it with edamame which make it bright light green (very pretty!) You can also make it from kidney beans which makes it, well, muddy red, I guess!

I would find some very pliable roll ups or tortillas - which means the ones likely higher in oil and a little less healthy, make your hummus and add layers of lettuce, tomato, meat and...??? horseradish? mustard? Dairy free cheese? Then layer, roll and slice. You will have to make the rolls fairly tight in order for them not to fall apart when you slice. And remember, the hummus is your glue, so leave a little on the edges before you start your filling.

Be careful with the meat you choose. Most deli meat is cured with lactic acid, which makes it, technically, not dairy free and a real pain for those who are lactose intolerant!

crl
02-10-2011, 06:53 PM
I guess I don't understand - why would a hummus roll-up ever be anything but dairy-free and vegetarian unless you go out of your way to add meat/cheese? Hummus = chick peas, tahini (sesame paste), olive oil, lemon juice, salt. Use pita or lavash bread for wrap. Add the hummus, and then you can add finely chopped lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro (or make tabbouleh), and other fixin's like falafel, roasted red peppers etc if you are more adventurous/ambitious. Yum!

A lot of the recipes I found when I googled added dairy ingredients or meat. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Catherine

ETA. For example this recipe which calls for hummus, cottage cheese and chicken. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=539395

crl
02-10-2011, 06:55 PM
Not looking for a hummus recipe. Looking for other things to put in a rollup that are dairy free and preferably also egg free and vegetarian.

Thanks for the ideas!
Catherine

citymama
02-10-2011, 07:23 PM
A lot of the recipes I found when I googled added dairy ingredients or meat. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Catherine

ETA. For example this recipe which calls for hummus, cottage cheese and chicken. http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=539395

I love roasted red peppers and tabbouleh in a hummus roll up. Or Falafel and lettuce/cukes.

crl
02-10-2011, 08:03 PM
Okay, looked over your suggestions, looked at a few more google results and thought about the guests, which will include kids, also considered the need to have this be easy.

How does this sound? White tortillas, trader joes hummus, shredded carrots and diced cucumbers?

Thanks!
Catherine

citymama
02-10-2011, 08:09 PM
Okay, looked over your suggestions, looked at a few more google results and thought about the guests, which will include kids, also considered the need to have this be easy.

How does this sound? White tortillas, trader joes hummus, shredded carrots and diced cucumbers?

Thanks!
Catherine

Yummy!!

Sweetum
02-10-2011, 08:24 PM
can you add in some chopped tomatoes and cilantro and a sprinkle of lime juice too, please?! thank you :)

crl
02-10-2011, 09:32 PM
can you add in some chopped tomatoes and cilantro and a sprinkle of lime juice too, please?! thank you :)

Will you come and chop for me? :loveeyes:

Catherine

amldaley
02-10-2011, 09:42 PM

Catherine

I use the ready prepped pico de gallo that comes in the clear plastic tubs in the produce section of the grocery. It is "dry", so not wet like salsa. It is just the chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, lime and usually a little pepper.

I would worry the cukes would be too wet? Love the idea of the shredded carrot!

I love adding sauteed onion to just about everything.

Alfalfa sprouts?

Ooh....hummus, alfalfa, carrots, chicken and a little dairy free thousand island dressing?

citymama
02-10-2011, 09:49 PM

Catherine

That's what DHs are for!

crl
02-10-2011, 09:54 PM
That's what DHs are for!

Oh, please no. Don't have him be in the kitchen at the same time as I am. Dh's are for making the drinks and ice run and taking the older child along. ;)

Do you think cucumber would be any wetter than tomato?

Catherine

amldaley
02-10-2011, 10:18 PM
Oh, please no. Don't have him be in the kitchen at the same time as I am. Dh's are for making the drinks and ice run and taking the older child along. ;)

Catherine

This is where I would totally cop out and buy it prepped. It always seems to me when I chop tomatoes, they are super wet but when I buy it alredy prepped, they aren't.

citymama
02-10-2011, 10:35 PM

Catherine

Cucumber would be better in a wrap, and always good with hummus. My DH is the primary chef in our house, and definitely veggie chopper in chief! I could not imagine cooking without my sous chef! But drinks are important too. ;)

Sweetum
02-11-2011, 02:05 AM

Catherine

Sure! (assuming I get to eat the roll) :boogie:

crl
02-11-2011, 02:08 AM
Sure! (assuming I get to eat the roll) :boogie:

Cupcakes too!

Catherine

amldaley
02-11-2011, 11:13 PM
I just noticed you asked for vegetarian. And I suggested chicken. Which is funny b/c I am a vegetarian.

Please let us know what you end up doing and how this turns out! I would like to do something similar for a potluck shower coming up!!!!!!

crl
02-12-2011, 12:19 AM
I just noticed you asked for vegetarian. And I suggested chicken. Which is funny b/c I am a vegetarian.

Please let us know what you end up doing and how this turns out! I would like to do something similar for a potluck shower coming up!!!!!!

I had a lot of criteria! The party isn't until April, but I am thinking of doing a test run, especially to see if they hold up okay if I make them the night before (for a lunch party). I'll let you know how they are!

Thanks everyone,
Catherine

crl
02-26-2011, 02:41 PM
I wanted to update that I tried this out. First go around I did white flour tortilla, about two tablespoons of hummus, about two tablespoons of diced cucumber and about a 1/4 cup shredded carrots. It was a bit too heavy on the hummus and carrots, IMO. But I couldn't really cut back on the hummus or it would be too dry.

So next go around I did about a tablespoon of dairy free cream cheese, about two tablespoons of hummus, about three tablespoons of cucumber and a bit less carrot, much better. I think I need to fiddle with it a bit more to make them look prettier and hold together better though.

Thanks!
Catherine