PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin D levels in pregnancy

Myira
02-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Mine came back low at 22 so my OB has asked me to take a D3 suppplement. Anyone BTDT and how much amount per day is okay? My OB's office told me 1000-1200 IU per day, but I want to confirm.

Also, I want to add a calcium supplement, so any brands you took that you recommend?

My prenatal already has 400 IU of vit D and 200mg of calcium. From the little research I did online, I read a few warnings that said do not exceed 2000 IU a day. The mention of birth defects due to excess scares me, though I read a study(http://www.webmd.com/baby/news/20100504/high-doses-of-vitamin-d-may-cut-pregnancy-risk) now recommends all pregnant women take 4000 IU daily. This is a lot info here (http://www.ajcn.org/content/79/5/717.full) but I am not sure has a take away for me.

I just want to exercise caution to not exceed the RDA. TIA.

Lupe
02-10-2011, 06:17 PM
I like the chocolate flavored soft chews from trader joe's
They have 500mg of calcium and 200 IU of vitamin D each
and are cheaper than the name brand soft chews

Are you talkign a pre-natal vitamin? it may have vitD and calcium already so check you don't end up with too much

marymoo86
02-10-2011, 06:46 PM
I took and still take Costco calcium citrate as a supplement. Didn't have to take a Vit D one. My OB recommended to get calcium citrate rather than calcium carbonate. She mentioned 'like citri-cal' but specified it could be any vitamin.

Indianamom2
02-10-2011, 06:51 PM
Well, I'm not pregnant, but I am rather vitamin D deficient. I have about a third of the level I'm supposed to have (no idea what the number is though).

I initially started taking 2000 IU's a day, but the doctor just upped it to 4000 IU's.

I have read that it's hard to overdose on, but I don't know about any risks in pregnancy, other than that you need an adequate level.

brittone2
02-11-2011, 10:15 AM
Just make sure they are monitoring you. I think 1000-1200 is actually not a whole lot if you are already deficient.

I take 6000 iu daily (i'm not advocating you do this without your own research and discussion with your doc however). My midwives tested me early in my pgcy with DS2 and I was at 27, and I was low. That was coming off of summer (was tested at the end of August), and lived in NC at the time (lots of sun, I don't use sunscreen on a daily baisis). I was also taking 1000-2000iu for about a year or two at that point. My level was 27, so lower than the desired range. Also, the new research seems to show even the lower end of the "normal" range is perhaps not optimal.

When I looked into the research, levels below 10000 iu are tough to overdose on but you should investigate that and talk with your doc.

eta: there are some old threads in the Lounge on D levels that you might be interested in referencing. A lot of the info out there on RDA etc. is dated in light of the more recent research available. I would also not want to spend a large part of my pregnancy trying to get my doses close to the normal range but not getting there, kwim?. Low D3 in pregnancy has been linked to several issues like increased c/s rate, increased rates of GD, etc. Just make sure they are following up so that you can get your levels closer to normal range sooner rather than later, kwim?

Myira
02-11-2011, 01:39 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Yes my OB has said he wants to check my levels again so that way we ensure they are increasing. For now I am going with supplementing total 1200 IU until we check again.