PDA

View Full Version : Anyone crafty people make a crib skirt out of a bumper?

buddgirrl
02-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Hi Ladies...

Here is my dilemma...I am having twins so I will need two bedding sets. I am not using regular bumpers and will use the Breathable Baby bumpers. I am not happy about having to buy two sets of bedding, meaning two comforters, two bumpers, two diaper stackers and two of everything else I don't want. My thought was to buy one set, and rip apart the bumper and make a crib skirt out of it. Then I only have to buy extra sheets, which CAN be purchased separately. In the end, I would have one comforter (I plan to hang on the wall for decoration), two skirts (assuming I can make one), one sheet (extras purchased separately) and one diaper stacker (don't care about this either way). One of the sets I am interested in even includes wall hangings, which makes the whole thing even more annoying. I so wish these companies would get on the a la carte bandwagon!

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I should clarify that my mom is very handy with a sewing machine.

Thanks...

s7714
02-12-2011, 09:12 PM
In theory there should be enough material in the bumper to make a bed skirt. I made all the fabric items for my nursery, including a bumper set and bedskirt, and the material consumed on both was comparable. I'd venture to guess however that the bed skirt made from the bumper material will probably be shorter in length (depending on the height of the bumper) and have to be made with less volume than a pre-made skirt would. (By volume I mean gathers/ruffle factor. If you're going for a straight edge, no gathers version you could get more mileage out of the limited material available.)

Quite honestly however, unless you've really got your heart set on a packaged set, I'd just buy non-theme crib skirts and sheets a la cart and skip the whole package concept completely. But then I never was a fan of the whole themed package concept, so to each her own. ;)

newg
02-12-2011, 11:07 PM
If your mom is handy with a sewing machine I would put her to use! Like PP mentioned, I would just skip the whole "kit", unless you really have your heart set on something.......especially if you are having twins!
You could always just buy the crib sheets and some of the accessories to create the theme and then do basic colors in a crib skirt and anything else you need.

I did not do a bedding set for either of my DDs. For DD1's room, pink gingham and lady bugs is her "theme", so I bought basics from PBK and other stores in pink gingham (lamp shade, curtains and crib sheets, did a white crib skirt.....and then I added wall decor of lady bugs. Oh, and my mom made a quilt, tying in all the colors, instead of having the comforter.

For DD2, I really wanted purple polka dots and butterflies, but couldn't find that combo for the life of me!!! PBK did have a bunch of bedding (regular and crib) in purple polkadots, so I bought a crib sheet and two twin bedding sets. My mom took the two flat sheets (twin size) and made lined curtains. Then we took some of the fitted sheet to make a lamp shade, and she's using the rest to make a quilt for DD2 to use once she gets older.

In terms of reusing pieces from a set.......I read somewhere of a mom who took the bumper, took out the batting (sewed the end back up) and used the crib ties to make a really cute valance for a window. You could probably use the bumper as a skirt, but there would be no volume or "ruffle", and it might not be long enough.......plus you'd have to create a way to keep it hanging.

etaylor75
02-13-2011, 12:28 AM
Getting ready for baby number three and I realized that I've never used the bumper or comforter.....so this time, I made the skirt using these directions:

http://www.gusandlula.com/2010/07/crib-skirt-tutorial.html

My Mom is making a quilt that I will actually use and I made a valance to match.

Erin

buddgirrl
02-13-2011, 12:45 PM
Thanks Ladies! My thought was to take the fabric from the outside of the bumper to make the majority of the skirt. And then take the inside fabric to make a sort of bottom border just to make the skirt longer. I figure we can find some plain white fabric to make the part that goes under the mattress in order to make a "real" crib skirt. We'll see...

I looked at Land of Nod and they have REALLY cute safari theme and all their pieces are a la carte. So if I have B/G then I might do that. The problem is that the only girl theme one like is a 9 pc set. I have some time so I will have to think about it more. I want to look at Etsy too.

Thanks again!