PDA

View Full Version : Getting out of buying two crib bedding sets?

buddgirrl
02-11-2011, 06:23 PM
Hi Ladies...

I posted this same question on the bedding board too. I am trying to find a way out of buying two whole sets of crib bedding. I am not using regular bumpers and will use the Breathable Baby bumpers, nor do I need two comforters or two diaper stackers. The only things I want two of is the skirt and sheet. My thought was to buy one set, and rip apart the bumper and make a crib skirt out of it. Then I only have to buy extra sheets, which CAN be purchased separately. In the end, I would have one comforter (I plan to hang on the wall for decoration), two skirts (assuming I can make one), one sheet (extras purchased separately) and one diaper stacker (don't care about this either way). One of the sets I am interested in even includes wall hangings, which makes the whole thing even more annoying. I so wish these companies would get on the a la carte bandwagon!

Has anyone else tried anything like this? I should clarify that my mom is very handy with a sewing machine.

Thanks...

WolfpackMom
02-11-2011, 06:36 PM
There are a lot of sets these days where you can just buy pieces of them, so you could just buy the skirts and then buy plain matching sheets from any brand. Do you have a particular set in mind, maybe we could help you find seperates that are the same or at least very similar.

edurnemk
02-11-2011, 06:48 PM
I'd look into sets that are sold as separate pieces.

buddgirrl
02-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Thanks... What brands out there sell the skirt a la carte? I haven't seen any. I really like the Too Good by Jenny McCarthy line. What I WANT to do is a garden/butterfly theme if I end up with two girls. And a jungle/safari/zoo theme if I have G/B or B/B. I don't have my heart set on the Too Good line, but just want something colorful and fun. A lot of the jungle ones I've seen are either very monocromatic or a lot of brown. Any advice or recommendations are appreciated!

Shandra

alirebco
02-11-2011, 06:53 PM
I got a separate crib skirt and a sheet from Dwell Studio. I then got some extra sheets from another brand. I think Target has separate pieces too.

YouAreTheFocus
02-11-2011, 06:58 PM
IDK how much you want to spend, but Land of Nod sells most of their crib bedding a la carte.

http://www.landofnod.com/crib-bedding/baby/1

And yep, PP is correct!

http://www.target.com/s?keywords=crib+skirt

Purple18
02-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Pottery Barn Kids also sells everything a la carte and they have excellent quality crib sheets (at least they did when I got mine 4 years ago). I'm a stickler for good sheets since they get washed ALOT. They also have tons of cute B/G twin ideas in their catalog. I have 2 sons and am expecting B/G twins so I'm hoping the sheets are just as good as they used to be because I just bought 2 more like the ones I have in green and blue, but PINK (finally a little pink in my life).

IMHO, I would avoid the sets - the quality for the price is just not comparable in many cases and you end up with a lot of stuff you don't need like the bumpers (expensive) and maybe the quilt - I wish I had skipped the set that I bought and didn't use (didn't use the bumpers for DS1 for very long and skipped them entirely for DS2 and I replaced the bad quality sheets). I still use the crib skirt, now with PB Kids sheets. I've had good luck with BP kids towels and linens for big kid beds as my kids have gotten older as well.

Good luck and happy shopping. I've also heard good things about Land of Nod.

DietCokeLover
02-11-2011, 07:17 PM
you have a lot of good suggestions already, but one other suggestion is to look on Etsy and see if there are any sellers on there that make bedding. This way you could get customized the particular pieces you want. You can always find sheets anywhere.

ahrimie
02-11-2011, 07:22 PM
I also bought a PBK skirt and bumper a la carte; I purchased mine at the outlet but if you look, they have sales. I also love the dwell studio for target line. I think for the price, you get excellent quality. We have fitted sheets from there--I believe they are 300 count cotton or near it. It's soft and very durable.

buddgirrl
02-11-2011, 07:41 PM
OMG...I totally forgot about Land of Nod. Their Safari one is SUPER cute! I don't really like the garden/flower ones though. There was a Sumersault flower one I really liked at BRU. Not sure if it's only sold as a set though. I do like PBK garden ones but I read in Baby Bargains that they now only have elastic on the corners and not all around which bugs me. I suppose I could buy the quilt and skirt and get different sheets? Thanks guys!

I do still like the Jenny McCarthy one too. It's good quality as far as I can tell. All non-toxic materials, 100% cotton, 200 TC and elastic all around. My mom seems pretty certain she can make the skirt out of the bumper...

dowlinal
02-11-2011, 08:55 PM
OMG...I totally forgot about Land of Nod. Their Safari one is SUPER cute! I don't really like the garden/flower ones though. There was a Sumersault flower one I really liked at BRU. Not sure if it's only sold as a set though. I do like PBK garden ones but I read in Baby Bargains that they now only have elastic on the corners and not all around which bugs me. I suppose I could buy the quilt and skirt and get different sheets? Thanks guys!

I do still like the Jenny McCarthy one too. It's good quality as far as I can tell. All non-toxic materials, 100% cotton, 200 TC and elastic all around. My mom seems pretty certain she can make the skirt out of the bumper...

I think you might need more fabric than the bumper if the matching skirt is gathered. If the skirt is going to be against a wall, then you could probably fudge it by only making a three sided skirt. One other thing that might work is to look for a set with matching curtains. You could definitely turn curtains into a bedskirt.

twowhat?
02-11-2011, 11:25 PM
Company Kids sells crib sheets, skirts, and quilts separately.

Momof3Labs
02-12-2011, 12:50 AM
My twin girls have breathable bumpers, PBK chamois sheets (worth every penny!!) and PBK crib skirts. That's it for their crib bedding - everything was purchased a la carte. They have wall decorations that tie into their crib skirts (bought at HomeGoods) to bring some color and theming to their room.

I didn't do crib sets for the boys either.

Vintheland
03-06-2011, 12:44 AM
yea if you dont need the bumpers then the set is not worth it just for the skirt and blanket since most sets dont include sheets.

Try a weebsite callled "valance station". just google it. they make cribs skirts and sheets in solid colors for cheap

BeccaB-D
04-11-2011, 06:24 AM
Babysupermall has a lot of Kidsline bedding sets they sell in seperate pieces also
http://www.babysupermall.com/

- Jungle 123
- Zanzibar
- Berry Garden
- Tiger Lily
- and some others as well

I really love Land of Nod, their bedding is so cute, their 'Morning Zoo' collection would be great if you have B/G twins.

This site also sells a lot of A La Carte bedding, http://www.babybedding.com/crib-bedding-a-la-carte
Lot's of crib sheets, skirts and matching items in a huge selection of colors.