PDA

View Full Version : One Day At Disneyland

amandabea
02-11-2011, 10:07 PM
We're planning a quick trip back to California for a long weekend and are hoping to get to DL for 1 day. Anyone have any thoughts about how busy it will be the last 2 weeks of March? What about maximizing time for a one-day trip? Any must dos? We've been to Ariel's Grotto and while our DD loves princesses more than anything in life, I don't think CA is in the cards for us. We'll be staying up near LAX since I will be working after DH and DD fly home, so a character breakfast is probably not possible.

bubbaray
02-11-2011, 10:31 PM
We were then last year at that time and it was very busy (though we haven't been in the summer or at Christmas, so its all relative). April (the year prior) was less busy. March is Canadian Spring Break, so the whole freakin' country heads to DL, LOL.

Could you overnight one night in Anaheim? I'd probably do that and then do Minnie's breakfastat the earliest seating (1 hr before opening on a non-Magic Morning). For example, Wednesday is not a MM day, park opens at 9am and I would do breakfast with Minnie at 8am. http://disneyland.disney.go.com/calendar/#/default/2011/03

I would then stay in DL for the day, start in Fantasyland and then over to Critter County and work my way back. Depending on your timing, you could do lunch in New Orleans or in Critter County.

We haven't spent a lot of time with the girls in Futureland (or whatever its called -=- ETA duh, Tomorrowland, I have no brain), but will do more this trip. DD#1 (not quite 6 last year) really liked the cars in Autopia.

I'd do the train around DL too, that is nice when its hot out mid afternoon. Don't miss the parade (ETA, sorry, its in CA this March, not DL - ETA -- OK, on a differetn view of the calendar, it says Pixar pals IS the DL parade, except I thought that was at CA).

Looks like Splash Mountain is closed then. FYI

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2011, 10:44 PM
We stayed overnight the night before our day at the park at the Embassy Suites down the street. Got up bright and early and got to the park shortly after opening. We hit the main rides we really wanted to do when we got there then worked our promotional (wonderful!) fast passes the rest of day (not a current promotion now, I don't think). After we hit what we cared about we just strolled around and rode what caught our eye. We went over to CA at around 5:30, ate dinner, road Soarin' and a few other rides. It was nice over at CA because DL had gotten really, really busy and crowded but CA was much less crowded and mellow.

We didn't really see any shows. We didn't do any special meals- we ate because we needed food then we kept going. :)

We stayed in the park till 10+pm then went to the Lego store in Downtown Disney. It was a long, fun day.

Beth

SnuggleBuggles
02-11-2011, 10:46 PM
We haven't spent a lot of time with the girls in Futureland (or whatever its called -=- ETA duh, Tomorrowland, I have no brain),

:rotflmao: I almost called it Futureland too and decided to just skip over the detail of where we started and just said we hit our top priorities (Matterhorn, Autotopia and Buzz Lightyear).

Beth

Tondi G
02-12-2011, 07:52 PM
well I know that our school district will be in session. Our spring break isn't until the week before Easter which is April 18th to 22nd.

weather will hopefully be nice. here is the refurbishment info that mouseplanet has.

Current Refurbishments and Attraction Closures

Disneyland

Star Tours – closed for refurbishment and addition of elements for Star Tours 2.0.
Horse Drawn Streetcars – closed through February 15, 2011 due to Main Street paving project.
Main Street Vehicles – closed through March 4, 2011 due to Main Street paving project.
Splash Mountain – closed through May 26, 2011 for refurbishment.
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh – closed through March 8, 2011 for refurbishment.
Davy Crockett Explorer Canoes – closed through March 8, 2011 for refurbishment.
Hungry Bear Restaurant – closed through March 8, 2011 for refurbishment.
Pooh's Corner – closed through March 8, 2011 for refurbishment.
Briar Patch – closed through March 8, 2011 for refurbishment.
Mark Twain Riverboat – closed February 7–17, 2011 for refurbishment.
Sailing Ship Columbia – closed through March 7–9, 2011 for refurbishment.
Goofy's Playhouse – closed through March 7–10, 2011 to replace the flooring.
Disney California Adventure

Seasonal refurbishments:

Playhouse Disney – closed through March 24, 2011
"it's tough to be a bug" – closed February 28 to March 3, 2011
Construction-related closures:

Burger Invasion – closed through May 24, 2011 for conversion into Paradise Garden Grill.
Corn Dog Castle – closed due to construction in the area. An employee publication lists May 25, 2011 as its return date.
Souvenir 66 – closed due to construction in the area. An employee publication lists May 25, 2011 as its return date, and "Seaside Souvenirs" as the new name of the store.
Pizza Oom Mow Mow – closed through May 24, 2011 for conversion to Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta.
Mulholland Madness – closed through April 20, 2011 for conversion to Goofy's Sky School.

Twoboos
02-12-2011, 08:30 PM
This might be helpful as far as crowds, here's a poll from DISboards about Spring Break at DL.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2493224&highlight=spring+break

amandabea
02-12-2011, 08:47 PM
Thanks all. Now to start planning. I think we will try to stay down in the area the night before and am going to try to talk DH into the character breakfast. I love Disneyland! From the Spring break poll on disboards it looks like we will be there for the busiest week. Ugh. Oh well. Can't be helped.