PDA

View Full Version : Question about Fisher Price Learning Home

lhafer
02-12-2011, 06:26 PM
I bought a Fisher Price Learning Home off of my CL before Christmas for my daughter. I checked it out then and everything worked. It's been in my closet where my 4 year old would sneak in and play with it. I have all the pieces.

I decided to wait until my DD2's birthday (in a couple of days) to give it to her, instead of Christmas.

I pulled it out of the closet today, and everything lit up, sounds worked, etc. I cleaned it with some Clorox wipes on the entire thing, and then used a damp washcloth to wipe off the Clorox on parts she would knowingly mouth. Then I tried to turn it back on and....nothing. No sound. I changed the batteries. No sound. The little porch light comes on. But zero sounds now.

What should I do? I have NO idea what made it stop working all of a sudden. There was no water emmersion - just a clorox wipe. And I didn't even mess with the power switch area. I am clueless. I looked at Fisher Prices' website and their Contact Us section was less than helpful. I couldn't find an email or anything to contact them with my question. I have lots of FP toys, and never had issues with any of them.

Any suggestions from mamas with this toy? It's been sitting in my closet for 4 months waiting to be played with...now that time is here, and it's not working!!!

Kitten007
02-12-2011, 06:30 PM
Did you let it air dry some more? I would just give it a day to fully dry and try to turn it on and play with it. I have done this and even with a little bit of water, it needs to be dried fully before some electronics will work.

bigpassport
02-12-2011, 06:31 PM
Is it on? We thought ours was broken once, and we realized it was turned off. On the radio, there is a switch that has abc at the top and musical notes at the bottom. In the middle is the off position. Did you inadvertently turn it off?

lhafer
02-12-2011, 06:32 PM
There was nothing to air dry. The wipes I used were not wet, and I squeezed them before wiping with them. I literally only wiped the outside of the plastic, which I have done with every electronic toy I have ever purchased, and this has never happened before.

gatorsmom
02-12-2011, 06:33 PM
Is it on? We thought ours was broken once, and we realized it was turned off. On the radio, there is a switch that has abc at the top and musical notes at the bottom. In the middle is the off position. Did you inadvertently turn it off?

:yeahthat: We had that happen too.

lhafer
02-12-2011, 06:33 PM

I put it in the ABC mode, the music mode. Switched it off, then tried them again. Then tried to sound levels separately. Zero sound.

gatorsmom
02-12-2011, 06:50 PM
I put it in the ABC mode, the music mode. Switched it off, then tried them again. Then tried to sound levels separately. Zero sound.

That's strange. Just trouble shooting but did it make sounds AFTER you pulled it out of the closet? Is there a chance that an internal wire could have pulled loose or it was jostled too much? I admit though, that after typing that, it seems silly. Kids' toys are built to be jostled and played roughly with.

I'd check again to make sure I put the batteries in completely. Sometimes in a hurry, I don't push them in all the way.

Hope it's just something small like that!

eagle
02-12-2011, 06:55 PM
dont lose all hope. our leapfrog table stopped working one day. zero sounds. and i didnt even clean it. checked the batteries. switched them out for new ones. turned all switches on and off. nope. nothing.

so we just left it in the room without any sounds.

then one day, about a month later, it worked!

my guess is there was some loose wiring or something.

it may be the case here!

it may not be, but dont lose complete hope.

lhafer
02-12-2011, 07:13 PM
That's strange. Just trouble shooting but did it make sounds AFTER you pulled it out of the closet? Is there a chance that an internal wire could have pulled loose or it was jostled too much? I admit though, that after typing that, it seems silly. Kids' toys are built to be jostled and played roughly with.

I'd check again to make sure I put the batteries in completely. Sometimes in a hurry, I don't push them in all the way.

Hope it's just something small like that!

Yeah, it worked. I put it up on the counter, spun the dial on top, pressed some of the buttons playing with it, etc. Seemed to work fine. Wiped it down, then nada.

I would really like to figure out how to get this to work, as my DD2 has never seen it or played with it yet!!! I am major bummbed out! I was really hoping I wouldn't have to shell out the money for a new one. But if I have to I have to I guess. I will give it a day or 2. Her birthday isn't until the 22nd. I was just going to give it to her early so she wouldn't be totally overwhelmed with presents on her birthday.

JTsMom
02-12-2011, 07:19 PM
FP customer service is terrible. I might be imagining this, but does the house have to be all the way snapped into the base to work? I can't remember for sure. Any chance the new batteries aren't good, or that you have one only partially in or something? I have had toys stop working then start up again too, so don't give up!

wendibird22
02-12-2011, 08:49 PM
I have the FP home but don't have any other suggestions to offer. But here's the # for FP. Unlike PP, I have had great success with their CS (they've replaced 2 baby monitors for me no charge and no questions asked).

Fisher-Price products, including Baby Gear, Infant Toys and Car Seats:
In the US and Canada: 800-432-5437

tmahanes
02-12-2011, 09:16 PM
Mine is messed up and they are sending me a new one. I have to send the base to them and they wanted ME to pay to ship it to the and I refused so they gave me a prepaid label.

Sent from my Ally using Tapatalk

mnosky1
02-13-2011, 02:16 AM
Did you try fresh batteries?
I had mine ready for a consignment sale - it was working fine then in the car on the way there, my DD in the back seat, said hey, it won't turn on. So, I turned around and go home, put new batteries in (although I swore it had just worked fine when I cleaned and priced it several days prior and it hadn't been touched since) and it worked fine. But then again I also wondered if had been turned off (and my trip home and price for new batteries wasted) because I realized the switch was "off", but it's possible it was the batteries because they had never been changed.

ETA- sorry - I see you did change batteries

lhafer
02-15-2011, 11:21 AM
I called CS and while I was on the phone with them, they had me turn it over so I could read them a number on the bottom of the base. As soon as I did that, it started working!! It seems there's a connector behing the face of the clock at the top. And turning it over caused the connector to act right. It's still sketchy and I will call them again, but glad to know what it is and that I'm not loosing my mind!

tmahanes
02-15-2011, 05:56 PM
I called CS and while I was on the phone with them, they had me turn it over so I could read them a number on the bottom of the base. As soon as I did that, it started working!! It seems there's a connector behing the face of the clock at the top. And turning it over caused the connector to act right. It's still sketchy and I will call them again, but glad to know what it is and that I'm not loosing my mind!

Yeah that connector is the problem with mine. There is a loose wire in the connector, like not in the plug loose, so the door bell does not work. So they are replacing the entire thing but I have to send the base back to them.