PDA

View Full Version : Funeral attire?

lcarlson90
02-13-2011, 03:00 AM
I am attending a funeral this week and I am not really sure what's appropriate since I haven't been to one since I was a teenager. I bought this dress at Kohls and I thinks it's really cute but I am not sure if I should be wearing all black.

Here is a link to the dress..

http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/womens/dresses/viewalldresses/PRD~725921/AB+Studio+Striped+MixedMedia+Dress.jsp

What do you think? Is it okay?

KrisM
02-13-2011, 08:18 AM
I think it's fine. I think the key is nothing flashy or fun. It doesn't have to be all black to be respectful.

artvandalay
02-13-2011, 09:07 AM
I agree the dress is nice. You can always wear a black cardigan over it, too.

Melaine
02-13-2011, 09:15 AM
I would wear it.

hillview
02-13-2011, 09:16 AM
Dress is nice -- I'd put a black sweater over it. Also black pants and top are fine.
/hillary

crl
02-13-2011, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. I think the dress is fine. If you have a black cardigan and it is weather appropriate, I would wear it.

Catherine

elizabethkott
02-13-2011, 09:54 AM
Perfectly appropriate. Especially with a black cardigan.

DrSally
02-13-2011, 03:38 PM
Perfectly appropriate. Especially with a black cardigan.

:yeahthat:

BTW, I think it totally depends on the crowd.

I was at a funeral last week and was very overdressed. I knew it was a "casual" crowd, so I purposely didn't pull out my dressiest stuff. I tend to think that wake=dark dress pants and nice top/nicer shoes. So, I wore dark gray velvet cords, a champagne silk shell and a black fly away cardy with a necklace and gray mules. Everyone else was in jeans and sweatshirts!

For the actual funeral, I think dark dress. So, I wore a charcoal knit, cowl neck dress, black tights and gray mules. This was a more casual dress IMO b/c I didn't want to look overdressed for the crowd. I was the *only* one in a dress (and DH was the only one in a suit). Some people in jeans again. An older woman came up to me and commended me for wearing a dress (I guess she was wearing a skirt).

It's strange how things have changed. But, I would err on the dressier side.

artvandalay
02-13-2011, 04:00 PM
:yeahthat:

BTW, I think it totally depends on the crowd.

I was at a funeral last week and was very overdressed. I knew it was a "casual" crowd, so I purposely didn't pull out my dressiest stuff. I tend to think that wake=dark dress pants and nice top/nicer shoes. So, I wore dark gray velvet cords, a champagne silk shell and a black fly away cardy with a necklace and gray mules. Everyone else was in jeans and sweatshirts!

For the actual funeral, I think dark dress. So, I wore a charcoal knit, cowl neck dress, black tights and gray mules. This was a more casual dress IMO b/c I didn't want to look overdressed for the crowd. I was the *only* one in a dress (and DH was the only one in a suit). Some people in jeans again. An older woman came up to me and commended me for wearing a dress (I guess she was wearing a skirt).

It's strange how things have changed. But, I would err on the dressier side.

I've seen people in jeans at a funeral and it makes me cringe. I always think..you couldn't take 1 minute to put on a pair of black pants and nice shoes? Ugh... people have become so lazy.

DrSally
02-13-2011, 04:05 PM
I've seen people in jeans at a funeral and it makes me cringe. I always think..you couldn't take 1 minute to put on a pair of black pants and nice shoes? Ugh... people have become so lazy.

ITA. I think funeral wear should be on par with wedding wear as far as dressiness goes (not festiveness, obviously). I don't think anyone would show up to a wedding in jeans. I don't mean to sounds so judgmental. Obviously, for the people in mourning, what they wear is the least of their concerns.

wellyes
02-13-2011, 04:30 PM
Definitely a black cardigan. Cute dress!

lcarlson90
02-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for your input ladies. I have a cute black cardigan w/ crystal buttons that will be perfect. I could have bought an all-black dress but I wanted something that was cute and that I could wear again.

DrSally
02-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Thanks for your input ladies. I have a cute black cardigan w/ crystal buttons that will be perfect. I could have bought an all-black dress but I wanted something that was cute and that I could wear again.

I definitely don't think it needs to be all black or even black (dark gray or navy would be fine too, I think).