PDA

View Full Version : Video monitor security issue

bigpassport
02-13-2011, 03:26 AM
I don't have a video monitor, but I thought I'd pass along this article for those of you who do use one...

http://www.komonews.com/news/problemsolvers/115840594.html

♥ms.pacman♥
02-13-2011, 10:05 AM
interesting article. when looking to get a video baby monitor my DH was pretty worried about this bc he noticed that a lot of them only have a couple channels available. that and the issue of interference (with phones, etc), and the unreliable quality of most baby video monitors made us pass on getting one and instead setup IP cameras (thru our home wireless network). the quality is great, it's not that expensive, and we don't have to worry about people spying on us.

s7714
02-13-2011, 05:04 PM
interesting article. when looking to get a video baby monitor my DH was pretty worried about this bc he noticed that a lot of them only have a couple channels available. that and the issue of interference (with phones, etc), and the unreliable quality of most baby video monitors made us pass on getting one and instead setup IP cameras (thru our home wireless network). the quality is great, it's not that expensive, and we don't have to worry about people spying on us.

If you don't mind sharing, what kind of unit to you use to view the video feed? Do they broadcast sound as well? We're in the market for a new baby monitor and I was just thinking last night there had to be decent (not sold as a baby monitor) video monitoring systems out there.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-13-2011, 07:31 PM
If you don't mind sharing, what kind of unit to you use to view the video feed? Do they broadcast sound as well? We're in the market for a new baby monitor and I was just thinking last night there had to be decent (not sold as a baby monitor) video monitoring systems out there.

we use these IP cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Camera-Viewing/dp/B0046710G6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297639681&sr=8-1

the camera uses a web-based interface on the PC to view the video feed (can be used on Macs too). we have a PC in our room, so we often use that. but the coolest thing is that there is an iPhone/iPod app to monitor these cameras (i think it's like $5 or something for the app), and we use that as well. from the PC or ipod/iphone you can do remote panning/tilt of the camera, which many standard video cameras cannot do.

about sound, it supposedly does broadcast sound but we've had some issues with getting it to work (it's mostly an issue with the ActiveX on internet explorer). but for us it wasn't a big issue bc we got this camera after we already had our Sony BabyCall monitor. since that has voice-activation we usually use that for sound and just have the camera (running constantly) for video

jgenie
02-13-2011, 08:42 PM
we use these IP cameras

http://www.amazon.com/Foscam-FI8918W-Wireless-Camera-Viewing/dp/B0046710G6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1297639681&sr=8-1

the camera uses a web-based interface on the PC to view the video feed (can be used on Macs too). we have a PC in our room, so we often use that. but the coolest thing is that there is an iPhone/iPod app to monitor these cameras (i think it's like $5 or something for the app), and we use that as well. from the PC or ipod/iphone you can do remote panning/tilt of the camera, which many standard video cameras cannot do.

about sound, it supposedly does broadcast sound but we've had some issues with getting it to work (it's mostly an issue with the ActiveX on internet explorer). but for us it wasn't a big issue bc we got this camera after we already had our Sony BabyCall monitor. since that has voice-activation we usually use that for sound and just have the camera (running constantly) for video

Is this the best price? If not, can you recommend a discount outlet? TIA