PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound like a good deal.

mariza
02-13-2011, 11:02 PM
For two weeks I've been looking at the Disboards, Expedia, Mousesavers, renting points,etc. and my head is spinning! It will be me, DH, 6yo DD, 4yo DS. I called last week and was quoted $1200 for just a room at Port Orleans Riverside but didn't book. I called today and was offered a standard room with 2 queen beds at the Boardwalk Inn with 8 day Park Hopper passes and a meal plan (1 snak, 1 quick service and 1 sit down) total with taxes, fees and trip insurance was $4062. Looking at that number seems so daunting but in a way seems like a relief because it's reserved and I don't have to stress anymore. So, honest opinions please, is this an ok deal? I would never have thought to book a delux on my own but the same package at PO was less than a $300 difference. I have 2 weeks to cancel for a full refund of my $200 deposit. So, good bad and ugly, I wanna hear it all :confused:

Momof3Labs
02-13-2011, 11:14 PM
I can't say if it is a good deal - depends on what season you are going, how many nights, etc. Go to mousesavers.com and you can price out the components. Disney does not discount packages unless you have a discount code. The only difference between that package at BW vs PO should be the cost of the room, and there is no way BW is only $300 more for a week long trip. No way.

mariza
02-13-2011, 11:21 PM
Sorry, forgot to add the season. We will be traveling late May to early June for 7 nights. He applied some "discount code" saying it was better than the PIN he had found associated with my name. He also said the rate was only available with the package and if I dropped the tickets and or meal plan the price would go up. Something about sometimes the computer will find rooms that need to be filled and offer good rates as incentive to book "unbalanced" hotels. Not sure I buy it, but I got sucked in at the time :)

Tinkerbell313
02-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Pricing it out on the Walt Disney World website, it sounds like its the 30% off public code for deluxe resorts. That is currently, the best offer that fits your needs if you are going deluxe.

There is one other discount being offered by Disney, the Kids Stay and Play Free offer...kids stay free anyway...so basically you would get their park tickets free with this offer. But pricing it out, the 30% off gives you the better discount.

The only other better offers are pin codes that are being sent to individuals via email or snail mail. Those can be as much as 40% off for a deluxe resort. Some people are also getting free dining offers. However, at a deluxe resort, and for the ages of your kids, a 40% off offer would be much better (that is the choice we had this past September for the same ages)

You may want to think about the parkhopper option. Although the parks are going to start getting busy that week...its not as busy as Summer. If you cut out the park hopper option, you will save at least $200. We did not use park hopper this past September. We just used Touringplans to pick the best park, utilized extra magic hours, and we also had same dining plan and had no problem with the crowds at the parks.

I am not sure why you only have 2 weeks to cancel for the $200 refund. You have up until 45 days before your trip to cancel a package with full refund from Disney.

billysmommy
02-13-2011, 11:51 PM
The Boardwalk is our favorite resort!!! You most likely will use the Park Hoppers since it's such a quick walk (5 min) to Epcot. We usually head over there for a few hours every evening if we're not in another park. There are so many options for dinner, and we'll do a few rides or explore 2-3 countries and then watch Illuminations. It's so nice to be able to walk back to your room after the fireworks and not have to wait for a bus.

You should call and put in a request for a room on the 4th or 5th floor facing Paris. If it's available, you'll have a great view of Illuminations from your balcony (except for the Earth and some of the low fireworks).

Have a great time!!!

mariza
02-14-2011, 01:53 PM
You should call and put in a request for a room on the 4th or 5th floor facing Paris. If it's available, you'll have a great view of Illuminations from your balcony (except for the Earth and some of the low fireworks). Have a great time!!!

Thanks for the tip, I called today but the CS rep said that there are no rooms facing that way in the "standard" category. BUT, she did say that she would put the request in, in case we can get an upgrade upon check-in. Funny how I went from planning to do this whole trip on the cheap and book everything seperately and not wanting dining plans or character meals, to Deluxe hotel, and a character meal every day thanks to the dining plan I "didn't want" :ROTFLMAO:
I read your review, it's sounds like you had a great time. We are hitting HS the first Sunday we are there so DD can hopefully do the Jedi Academy too. She is a SW nut :D

egoldber
02-14-2011, 02:23 PM
If you are getting the 30% off code for the Deluxe hotel, you are not getting "free dining". So the dining plan price will be the same at either hotel. As a PP said, the difference in the two packages will just be the difference in room rates.

mariza
02-14-2011, 03:46 PM
If you are getting the 30% off code for the Deluxe hotel, you are not getting "free dining". So the dining plan price will be the same at either hotel. As a PP said, the difference in the two packages will just be the difference in room rates.

I just reread my post and I guess it does sound like I was thinking we are getting free dining but that's not the case. I really was just mocking myself for getting talked into a package deal when I was so set against it. Honestly, I'm still looking at other options I don't think we NEED the dining plan, but now I've all these dinners scheduled I WANT them. Please bear with me between now and June, I will change my mind and ask your opinions at least 500 more times :)