PDA

View Full Version : No Insurance All of a Sudden and Desperate ...

dkara1
02-14-2011, 03:38 PM
My DH is A third year resident at a hospital and we've had insurance for all the family, but now his hospital is being taken over by a state hospital and they're telling them that they're not going to have insurance for a period of 45 days beginning April. Bad news for me because my due date is April 9th. My husband tried to explain our situation but i guess they are not very sympathetic, He called me a couple of hours ago telling me the only solution we have is a planned induction at the end of March when our insurance will still be effective. Problem is my first pregnancy was a planned induction and i did not have a very good experience with that, my second was a vaginal delivery, no induction just an epidural, but that was a lot better. This time i was planning to have a natural delivery, no epidural. You can see why i am very sad about this and i am trying to find a solution. Obviously i cannot afford the expense of a birth not covered by insurance. Do you guys have any solutions to offer?

Thanks.

nrp
02-14-2011, 03:40 PM
That seems like a crazy situation. Can you do COBRA for the 45-day period?

WolfpackMom
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
That seems like a crazy situation. Can you do COBRA for the 45-day period?

:yeahthat:
Or, if you qualify (which Im not sure you would I dont know what a resident's income is) try and get govt insurance.

dkara1
02-14-2011, 03:48 PM
I probably sound clueless, but i have no clue what that is. Can you please explain?

etaylor75
02-14-2011, 03:59 PM
Info about Cobra:

http://www.cobrainsurance.com/COBRA_FAQ.htm

Your husbands employer is required by law to offer Cobra to you if they terminate his current plan.

Erin

o_mom
02-14-2011, 04:26 PM
Call your state insurance commission as well and find out all your rights and the obligations of the employer in this situation.

goldenpig
02-14-2011, 04:43 PM
Has he talked to his residency program director? If he signed a contract then the program is obligated to provide continued health insurance coverage and if you need to do COBRA, the program should pay for the premiums. The only way he should have to pay for COBRA is if he has already finished the program and is no longer a resident. Good luck.

daisymommy
02-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Oh my. I am so sorry. Hopefully you will be able to work something out with Cobra or the way that Goldenpig suggested.

The only other thing I can think of is, if you are already wanting a natural birth, if you were to switch to a midwifery practice, and pay out of pocket for a birthing center delivery, it would be cheap compared to what you pay an OB for a typical hospital delivery. Around $3K or less.

AshleyAnn
02-14-2011, 05:03 PM
Have you looked to see if you qualifyfor gov't help like medicaid?