PDA

View Full Version : What's your go-to baby gift? ($25 and under)

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
02-14-2011, 05:22 PM
A good friend/co-worker of my husband's daughter is having a baby. She will be a grandma at age 45! Needless to say, she's not thrilled about her daughter being pregnant. The daughter and baby will live at home with the mom/grandma.

I'm looking for a nice baby gift - they most likely need everything. Baby is due next month, and will be a girl.

Thanks for the ideas!
--Jennifer

crl
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Well, I am typically giving to people who do not need anything. But my go to is a pair of robeez in the 6-12 month size. They are about that price.

Catherine

JoyNChrist
02-14-2011, 05:25 PM
My go-to baby gifts in that price range are: Happiest Baby on the Block book or DVD, Miracle Blanket (might be $30? can't remember), and Sophie the Giraffe.

ohsara430
02-14-2011, 06:08 PM
I guess it depends on if you want something fun/cute or something more practical. Sophie the giraffe teether is a good suggestion. I also like to give the cloud b sleep sheep or gentle giraffe soother - both are under $25 on Amazon right now. Retail is $28 or $29.

A bouncy seat would be a really nice gift. Bright starts usually has simple bouncers around $25 at BRU & walmart. Here's a few on Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Bright-Starts-Blossom-Melodies-Bouncer/dp/B002NGNF24/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1297721077&sr=8-9
And here's a fisher price bouncer
http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-T2520-Bouncer-Mocha-Butterfly/dp/B002OOWAHG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1297721262&sr=8-5

ohsara430
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
A baby bathtub with washcloths or baby wash would be good too.

boilermakermom
02-14-2011, 06:10 PM
It depends on the family dynamic (whether they already have kids, or is this their first. A friend of mine had a baby two weeks ago, it was their third. Since the first two are girls, I made sure I got her blue stuff - blue bumbo, onesies, etc.)

I would say either gift cards (diapers, formula) or clothes. I liike to get stuff for around 6-12 months.

The Cloud B ladybug night light is pretty nice. It's $30 at BRU and Bed bath and beyond. I just purchased one for DD. After using it a few nights, I thought I shold include this in baby gifts! I wish I would have had it years ago!

kedss
02-14-2011, 06:15 PM
I like giving onesies and zipper jammies, and maybe some nice receiving blankets :) and my go to book is the Very Hungry Caterpillar. :)

buddgirrl
02-14-2011, 06:41 PM
I love giving the book, "On the Day You Were Born." It's beautiful!

SnuggleBuggles
02-14-2011, 06:47 PM
I check out the registry first. If there's nothing there in that range I usually get clothes.

Beth

american_mama
02-14-2011, 06:51 PM
I have often given a CD of lullabyes from a local singer who I like and feel personally connected to. Half the songs are written from the mother's perspective, and they touch me, who is generally un-sentimental.

But in your situation, I think I'd give a DVD of The Happiest Baby on the Block ($18 on amazon) and, if you want, a swaddling blanket, even a cheap one. It is very much an easy, soothing how-to on soothing your baby and getting them to sleep - two central issues for new parents. It also builds parenting and grandparenting confidence by teaching you exactly what to do, which (even after 7 grandkids) was meaningful to my parents. Don't get the book, as DVDs much better suit sleep- and time- deprived new parents. I also wouldn't buy the package options since if the mom or grandma love the DVD, they'll willing buy a better swaddling blanket or white noise CD on their own.

The only bad thing about this gift is you never really know if the parents watched it or used it. I have given the DVD once and the Miracle Blanket once and never heard back from either family. I suppose that's true for many gifts, though.

DrSally
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
I got this idea from another BBB'er http://www.craftefamily.com/baby_gifts/baby_block_personalized.asp
It has gotten raves every time I've given it. $15.50 and Free ship. I usually incl. something else, like a clothing item (maybe a Costco Hanna zipper?)

fedoragirl
02-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Cloud B Sleep sheep--everytime!

zag95
02-14-2011, 07:34 PM
I like the bippity placemat and bib- both run to about $25. Easy to clean and great for going out! Otherwise, clothing in larger sizes is another for me! I like to give basics over 9 mos- usually in 12 or 18 mos...

jellibeans
02-14-2011, 07:49 PM
I would probably give a miracle blanket with a gift reciept.

wildfire
02-14-2011, 08:42 PM
For first time parents, Happiest Baby on the Block DVD. It was SO helpful to us the first time around. I also like the Itzbeen. Again, we really used it the first time. Not so much with the second child, but for that initial shock of no-sleep, it was invaluable.

JElaineB
02-14-2011, 09:28 PM
$25 Target gift card (I bought 2 this weekend).

brittone2
02-14-2011, 10:06 PM
Well, I am typically giving to people who do not need anything. But my go to is a pair of robeez in the 6-12 month size. They are about that price.

Catherine
:yeahthat:

I have been giving Pedipeds, Robeez, etc. to friends w/ new babies. IMO it also works well for babies that are the 2nd, 3rd, etc. in the family because baby shoes get kinda beat up over time since they are so soft, so not always easily handed down. Sometimes I can snag them for a super deal so I will buy an extra pair or two for the gift closet.

momof2girls
02-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Trumpette socks or a monogrammed big/onesie set from Etsy

Pinky
02-14-2011, 10:16 PM
I am practical and would give a huge box of diapers from amazon... with one of the 20% off codes that are floating around you can get a huge box of pampers for $25. :)

I have often given a CD of lullabyes from a local singer who I like and feel personally connected to. Half the songs are written from the mother's perspective, and they touch me, who is generally un-sentimental.

Can you buy this CD online?

DietCokeLover
02-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Monogrammed/ embroidered burp cloths

Pinky
02-14-2011, 10:41 PM
Monogrammed/ embroidered burp cloths

Great gift idea... we got several of these and loved them.

MWmom
02-14-2011, 10:43 PM
I've had a couple of baby showers for first time parents with little money. I chose to go very practical - stock the medicine cabinet. The kinds of items that will be used eventually that new parents don't know they need {tylonel, motrin, gas drops, saline gel Ayr}. As well as my favorite items {aquaphor, boudreauxs, etc}. I'll purchase target brand and include the gift receipt. In addition there's something nice and/or fun.
I added a number of other items for the shower this weekend. The couple has really struggled financially this year. So I picked up virtually everything we went through in the first year w/duplicates, diapers, wipes, & a themometer.

Otherwise pp suggestion of the Happiest Baby DVD w/something else would. If they aren't first time parents - the robeez and the personalized block are both great ideas.

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-15-2011, 01:39 AM
Twilight Turtle. Always!

BeachBum
02-15-2011, 07:21 AM
I'm very rarely buying for moms who "need" stuff. I typically buy personalized stationary, monogrammed burp cloths or monogrammed bloomers, diapeez and wipeez type cases. Actually for a practical gift I often give the healthy care booster/ highchair. We loved that thing for taking to restaurants and grandmas.

artvandalay
02-15-2011, 09:19 AM
I like to give Halo sleepsacks. Sometimes BRU does a BOGO50% on them. If it's colder weather, I do the fleece, cotton for warmer. If you found a deal on Aden & Anais swaddle blankets, those would be good, too. I wish I had those with my first two babies.

ohiomom1121
02-15-2011, 09:25 AM
My go to items are Aden & Anais swaddle blankets (I think the ones from Target are in your price range), Fisher Price Healthy Care Booster, Kidopotamus Tiny Diner and Dex Bibs from Walmart or Kmart. All things I love and have gotten great review from people I've given them to.

MoJo
02-15-2011, 10:13 AM
I always check the registry first, and even more so for someone who may not have much/have many people buying off the registry.

Beyond that, in your situation I'd go with gift cards to some place easily accessible, like Target. Although I love the "medicine cabinet" idea too; I was SO glad someone gave me Mylicon before Jelly Bean was born.

We were in the "need everything" camp (no kids on my side; grown kids on DH's side) and couldn't believe how many people bought clothes (I stopped counting at 108 outfits) and how few gave even inexpensive necessities like the bottles we registered for. So I was extra thankful for the people who gave gift cards so I could use those to buy the car seat, swing, and PNP.

dec756
02-15-2011, 10:21 AM
Twilight Turtle. Always!

loveee this thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!