PDA

View Full Version : quick: bendadryl help

rachelh
02-15-2011, 09:06 AM
DD2 broke out in hives yesterday. Doctor says it is an allergic reaction to amoxicillin she was on and to stop giving it to her and give her benadryl. I asked him what type - he said the cold one. Then I asked "for infants?" and he said "the regular one." I never gave my kids benadryl before. DH bought something that cannot be right. It says do not give to children under four. Also the doctor said give her 3/4 of a teaspoon. The package says a dose for a 6 year old is a teaspoon. DH says there was nothing in the pharmacy for babies. Any idea what I need to look for? I need to run in and out because I need to get to work.

WolfpackMom
02-15-2011, 09:10 AM
There is no infant benadryl, infant doeses are made off of weight/age and given by the doctor so what you have is fine. When I got sent out to get Benadryl I had the same questions and asked the pharmacist 2x and he looked at me like I was nuts.

Green_Tea
02-15-2011, 09:10 AM
It probably is the right thing, and that is likely the right dose. Is it 12.5 mg in each 5 mL? ALL benedryl says not for under 4, as far as I know, but the dosing is by weight.

You can see a weight/dosage chart here:
http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t088800.asp

dec756
02-15-2011, 09:16 AM
the dosage sounds about right as per my pedi

egoldber
02-15-2011, 09:26 AM
Yes, there is only one children's Benadryl. You want a medicine with the single ingredient of diphenhydramine Hcl at the strength of 12.5 mg per 5mL (1 teaspoon). A generic or store brand version is fine as well.

Dosing should be by weight, not age.

rachelh
02-15-2011, 09:38 AM
Thanks! Saved a trip back to the pharmacy feeling stupid :bouncy: Now if only the babysitter would show already so I can get going...