PDA

View Full Version : I need a roofer...now what?!

3isthelimit
02-15-2011, 12:03 PM
We filed and received a claim from our insurance company to replace our roof. I got some rec's for roofers and am almost ready to call and get estimates. What kind of questions do I ask? What am I looking for in a roofer? We have never done this so it is all new to us!

Fwiw, we are currently fsbo'ing our house. We needed a roof and thought it would be a great selling point. We prob won't opt for the more expensive architectural shingles. I do have a contact that I could possibly buy the shingles for cost from....can I do that and then just hire the roofer for the labor?

HELP, PLEASE!!

KrisM
02-15-2011, 01:16 PM
Get a quote for the arch shingles. Our quotes all had them cheaper as there is less labor cost and less waste in using them.

Most will have a presentation to listen to and will tell you why they do what they do. You'll likely have choices of box vents or ridge vents, depending on the size of your house. If you go with a ridge vent, ask if there is enough area to make it work or if you need additional soffit vents or if you need to block off any existing vents.

AnnieW625
02-15-2011, 01:45 PM
If you are in California send me a PM.

amldaley
02-15-2011, 01:47 PM
If you are in WA state, PM me.

3isthelimit
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks!
We are in MS...

AnnieW625
02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
Only mentioned it because I do workers compensation insurance and some roofing companies don't hire the best or most trust worthy workers, and therefore have lots of injuries. I would get quotes from people who have been recommended by word of mouth, but also check with state licensing boards and the workers comp. board to make sure they have the proper licenses and insurance needed to operate in your state.

3isthelimit
02-15-2011, 02:00 PM
ok, thanks! Would not have thought about that!