PDA

View Full Version : What do you give your nanny for her birthday?

arivecchi
02-15-2011, 01:12 PM
My nanny's birthday is coming up. She is kind of hard to buy for but I love getting presents. I am sure she would prefer money but that just feels so not thoughtful to me. I hate giving people cash or gift cards as gifts.

What do you normally do?

PGTB
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
My nanny's birthday is coming up. She is kind of hard to buy for but I love getting presents. I am sure she would prefer money but that just feels so not thoughtful to me. I hate giving people cash or gift cards as gifts.

What do you normally do?

I am not sure what to recommend if you are really set on getting her a physical present. It also depends how much you want to spend.

I guess, you can ask yourself if you work for someone, what type of present would you love to get from your employer and take it from there. For me personally, I'd love to have extra day off that is completely paid :) Getting paid for a day or two without having to go to work is a great present the employer can give you (except for a raise, LOL).

So, we decided to give our nanny paid days off for her b-day and some days we are out of town that she doesn't have to work. I know this doesn't sound very elegant and probably not what you have in mind (this is essentially a cash gift), but the truth is, our nanny was super happy and we knew we did the right thing. She appreciated the cash much more than some useless trinket or a gift card that would force her to shop at a particular store she may not care for. It also took the pressure off us trying to guess just what type of a thing she may enjoy.

Our nanny is also from a culture where cash gifts are standard.

arivecchi
02-15-2011, 02:10 PM
Thanks. My nanny gets about 5 weeks of vacay so I think she already gets a ton of time off.

I guess I will just give her cash - again. So boring. :(

twowhat?
02-15-2011, 02:23 PM
Thanks. My nanny gets about 5 weeks of vacay so I think she already gets a ton of time off.

I guess I will just give her cash - again. So boring. :(

You can always do cash and a small gift that you know she would like. (cosmetics, accessories, etc)

♥ms.pacman♥
02-15-2011, 02:57 PM
our nanny's birthday hasn't come up yet, but for Christmas we put together a nice gift basket from Bath & Body Works for her (with lotions, scented candle, bath stuff etc). i know bath stuff is kind of generic and is useless for some people so usually i don't give it as a gift, but i knew that she liked that kind of stuff (thanks to my DS, who is often getting into purses and dragging stuff out and playing with it, i knew she kept a bottle of B&BW lotion in her purse, and she mentioned she really liked that specific scent so i figured she'd appreciate a B&BW gift basket).

TwinFoxes
02-15-2011, 03:03 PM
Honestly, I think cash or a gift card is the way to go.

Here's a suggestion though. One time my DN only wanted gift cards to Target because she was going to buy an itouch (she's a sweet girl, it's not nearly as demanding as it sounds). Anyway, we got her a gift card, but put it in a cute little purse from Target. Maybe you could do that? Buy her a gift card, but put it in a nice wallet or purse?

BabbyO
02-15-2011, 06:25 PM
We don't have a nanny, but we have a private baby sitter who watches DS 5 days a week. We gave her a GC to a local spa. She LOVED it! The way this GC works she can choose which ever treatment she wants, but a massage GC would probably be nice, too.

I know it's a GC, but this is the kind of GC I don't mind giving at all!

edurnemk
02-15-2011, 06:37 PM
We don't have a nanny, but we have a private baby sitter who watches DS 5 days a week. We gave her a GC to a local spa. She LOVED it! The way this GC works she can choose which ever treatment she wants, but a massage GC would probably be nice, too.

I know it's a GC, but this is the kind of GC I don't mind giving at all!

And I'm not a GC person, but I would not mind getting this one at all! :wink2:

arivecchi
02-15-2011, 06:39 PM
I am happy to report that I talked to her about it and she really wanted some knee high black boots, so we picked a kick @$$ pair together on Amazon! :)

elektra
02-15-2011, 07:36 PM
I am happy to report that I talked to her about it and she really wanted some knee high black boots, so we picked a kick @$$ pair together on Amazon! :)

Awesome!
I know what you mean about getting an actual gift. I thought the purse idea was a great one because I really want to give cash too, but an actual gift is nice. I am going to keep that one in mind for the future myself!