PDA

View Full Version : A different kind of Valentines Day

Gena
02-15-2011, 01:39 PM
This post is a day late, and I debated with myself about posting it at all, but I hope you guys don't mind.

In the recent poll, I voted that we don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, but that isn’t completely accurate. It’s true that my husband and I have never celebrated it as a romantic holiday and have never exchanged cards or gifts to mark the day. But Valentine’s Day does have a special meaning in my family.

Valentine’s Day is the day we celebrate survival.

Six years ago, on February 14th, my Dad had a massive heart attack. The doctors told us that this was not just a “regular” heart attack (if there is such a thing), but a complete blockage of the left anterior descending artery, the kind they call “The Widow-Maker”. (This is the type of heart attack that killed Tim Russert.) My Dad survived it only because at the time he was at his cardiologist’s office, in a building attached to a hospital. He had a quadruple bypass and a long, slow recovery.

He continues to have cardiac “incidents”, some of them quite dangerous and has had several more hospitalizations and procedures. He has other health issues too. But through his own stubbornness and the Mercy of God, he’s still here. He’ll be 75 later this year and still plays golf with the guys and is still hoping to “shoot his age” one of these days. My son, who was 9 months old at the time of Dad’s heart attack, knows and loves his Grandpa.

This isn’t a post about awareness or heart health or even a reminder to treasure every day you have with your loved ones.

It’s just a post to say that my Dad is still alive and that is what Valentine’s Day means to me. :heartbeat:

MoJo
02-15-2011, 01:42 PM
Very cool story, and I'm happy that you shared it!

mezzona
02-15-2011, 01:49 PM
aww thanks for sharing. loved it. that is truly meaningful!

TwinFoxes
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
That is a wonderful story, I'm glad you shared. I lost my mom to heart disease. :( I'm glad your DS has had a chance to know his grandad. Sadly my girls never knew my mom.

crl
02-15-2011, 01:52 PM
My dad has had a liver transplant (20 years ago), a melanoma, diabetes and two heart attacks. I am so grateful he is still with us and planning to go turkey hunting this spring. So I understand how special Valentine's Day must be for you.

Catherine

sunshine873
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Wow, this post really struck my soul & has me in tears. Thanks for sharing why Valentine's Day is special to you.

JoyNChrist
02-15-2011, 01:54 PM
So happy for you, your dad, and your family. Thank you for sharing this.

MZS V
02-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Wow! Great story~so glad you decided to post. I was near tears after reading.

KLD313
02-15-2011, 02:20 PM
Wow, what a nice post. It made me cry for two reasons. My dad died tragically 3 1/2 years ago so most things that mention a dad make me cry and it also makes me think of my grandpa who had a heart attack on Christmas Eve many years ago and lived a good 20 more years til he was 93. I'm glad your dad survived and is continuing to do the things he loves. Both my dad and grandfather were golfers too. :)

Gracemom
02-15-2011, 03:18 PM
That's so sweet! I lost my Dad to heart disease, and I'm so happy for you that your Dad is still around and your son can enjoy his Grandpa.

gatorsmom
02-15-2011, 03:23 PM
This post is a day late, and I debated with myself about posting it at all, but I hope you guys don't mind.

In the recent poll, I voted that we don’t celebrate Valentine’s Day, but that isn’t completely accurate. It’s true that my husband and I have never celebrated it as a romantic holiday and have never exchanged cards or gifts to mark the day. But Valentine’s Day does have a special meaning in my family.

Valentine’s Day is the day we celebrate survival.

Six years ago, on February 14th, my Dad had a massive heart attack. The doctors told us that this was not just a “regular” heart attack (if there is such a thing), but a complete blockage of the left anterior descending artery, the kind they call “The Widow-Maker”. (This is the type of heart attack that killed Tim Russert.) My Dad survived it only because at the time he was at his cardiologist’s office, in a building attached to a hospital. He had a quadruple bypass and a long, slow recovery.

He continues to have cardiac “incidents”, some of them quite dangerous and has had several more hospitalizations and procedures. He has other health issues too. But through his own stubbornness and the Mercy of God, he’s still here. He’ll be 75 later this year and still plays golf with the guys and is still hoping to “shoot his age” one of these days. My son, who was 9 months old at the time of Dad’s heart attack, knows and loves his Grandpa.

This isn’t a post about awareness or heart health or even a reminder to treasure every day you have with your loved ones.

It’s just a post to say that my Dad is still alive and that is what Valentine’s Day means to me. :heartbeat:

I think this is a perfect reason to celebrate Valentine's Day. These last 6 years have been a gift of love from God.

Thanks for sharing your story. :love5:

boogiemomz
02-15-2011, 03:41 PM
What an amazing story and great reminder of the important things in life, more important than cards and flowers. So glad your dad is still with you, hope he is for a long while yet! Happy Valentines Day. :hug:

kedss
02-15-2011, 04:09 PM
hugs, Gena, thank you for sharing :)

Globetrotter
02-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Thanks for sharing your very touching story.. so appropriate.

JustMe
02-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Happy Heart day to your family!

kdeunc
02-15-2011, 05:11 PM
Thanks for sharing your story. What a great cause for celebration on February 14th. My dad had a 5-vesel bypass in 1991 and a 4 vessel "re-do" in 2008. He just turned 75 and is really in great shape. What a blessing that our dad's have been the beneficiaries of modern medicine in order to know their grandchildren!