PDA

View Full Version : Overseas shipping with Amazon, any experiance?

Dream
02-15-2011, 01:41 PM
My nephews Bday is next month. I would like to order something from amazon and have them shipped overseas to europe. Does anyone know how it can be done? If I place the order and select their address for shipping would amazon tell me s/h for that order?

Thank you.

amldaley
02-15-2011, 01:51 PM
It depends on what you are sending.

I often order off Amazon and have stuff sent to my family in England. I also used them for lots of orders to my husband when he was in Afghanistan (FPO).

They will send most, 99%, movies & books. Clothes, toys, etc are all pretty much good to go.

They won't send food, even shelf stable stuff or candy.

ANYTHING wet, so perfume, drinks, medicines, hand lotion, etc will be refused.

It is very easy to do. When you add the address to your shipping address book, out the items in your cart and select that address as the recipient. It will tell you if those items can be sent to that address and if there is any additional charge.

ETA: they won't let you complete a purchase to an address they can't ship to. But do whach the s/h charges, especially if you are using a third party seller through Amazon as they can really jump high. Make sure to mark it as a gift, too.

mezzona
02-15-2011, 01:52 PM
i havent done that myself, but if i did, i would call or chat with amazon cs first. hopefully someone else with actual experience can chime in.

eta if amazon us or the seller doesnt ship to eu, you can try sites like amazon.co.uk and just pay a foreign transaction fee. i did that about 10 yrs ago, not lately, but may still be possible.

Dream
02-15-2011, 01:53 PM
Thanks, I want to ship a Geotrax train set.

amldaley
02-15-2011, 01:56 PM
i havent done that myself, but if i did, i would call or chat with amazon cs first. hopefully someone else with actual experience can chime in.

eta if amazon us or the seller doesnt ship to eu, you can try sites like amazon.co.uk and just pay a foreign transaction fee. i did that about 10 yrs ago, not lately, but may still be possible.

I can't even get to the UK site anymore. The technology is such that it knows I am using a US server and redirects me to the US site.

amldaley
02-15-2011, 01:59 PM
Thanks, I want to ship a Geotrax train set.

I think you will be fine. Just go in and add the address first to your list. Then add the train to your cart. Then click "gift", change the address to the one in your "book" and process as normal. Be sure to look at what it is telling you each step of the way.

And don't worry - it won't let you mess it up! It will just tell you No if it can't!

This order of steps is not necessary but it is the easiest way to do it.

Dream
02-15-2011, 02:18 PM
I completed it without any problems. I can access amazon.co.uk but its my experiance that UK prices are same as US but in pounds so once you convert its much more $$$. Plus they didn't have the set I wanted. I think I'll be ok.

Thank you for your help.