PDA

View Full Version : New mom needs advice on nasal congestion - UPDATE Possible food sensitivity?

marymoo86
02-15-2011, 03:37 PM
About to call the advice nurse but wanted to get some real world thoughts as well:

DD (3 months) has had some type of nasal congestion going on a couple of weeks now. It's not regurgitated milk/spit up. I can see her nasal passages are a bit swollen. I have been suctioning her nose (little comes out), using BM to irrigate, keeping humidifier on when she sleeps and having her slightly elevated. I recently put eucalyptus oil in the humidifier and that seemed to help.

She doesn't have a fever, isn't have trouble nursing, but is affecting her sleep (and mine!). My concern is that it is not going away. It's primarily an issue at night as she seems fine during the day for the most part. A sneeze or cough a couple times day but that is it. I don't want this to develop into an ear infection.

Thoughts? :confused:

ETA: Read some info on kellymom and wondering if it could be a food sensitivity? Persistent congestion is one symptom. Since she doesn't have any other accompanying issues I'm wondering if this could be it. It's not dairy. But I have started eating trail mix - wondering if the nuts may have triggered the congestion response??

gatorsmom
02-15-2011, 04:48 PM
It sounds like you are doing all the things I would have recommended. I'd suggest getting a referral to a pediatric Ear, Nose and Throat doc.

GL!

BabyBearsMom
02-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Our pedi recommended that we not use the suction or put anything in the humidifier (both can irritate the air passages and make the congestion worse) but since it is a long term thing, I would also call the doc.

Edensmum
02-15-2011, 04:52 PM
It could be just from the dry/cold. Try saline, Simply Saline is a good bet because preservatives can burn. 2-3 times a day. DS is a bit sick right now and I've been using it just so he can nurse/rest.

edurnemk
02-15-2011, 06:04 PM
It could be just from the dry/cold. Try saline, Simply Saline is a good bet because preservatives can burn. 2-3 times a day. DS is a bit sick right now and I've been using it just so he can nurse/rest.

This was our experience with DS, the dry air really made him congested. Humidifier and saline drops were our solution.