PDA

View Full Version : Aftercare in grade school question

babybunny
02-15-2011, 03:50 PM
I witnessed a 1st grader kicking the "teacher" repeatedly with no apparent response until the "teacher" saw that I was there to pick up my son. My son apparently had a run in with the 1st grader as well a bit earlier that session of aftercare. Principal says it is not a school issue (although the school board contracts this daycare provider and this is run on school property). I am reaching out to the day car provider director. I have heard of some bullying issues (not my son) with this first grader from other parents. I want to put the day care provider on notice. Any suggestions for an approach?

crl
02-15-2011, 04:21 PM
Well, the principal may not consider it his or her issue because he or she may not have authority over the after care program? But the school board is certainly responsible since it is their contract and on their property.

I would contact whoever runs the after care and state your concerns, along with any proposed solutions (Anti bullying curriculum? Training for the care providers? Mechanism for expelling children after multiple incidents?). Then I would follow up by putting the details of that conversation in writing (email or letter).

Then if no changes are made, I would send my original documentation to the next level up (is there an individual with the district who supervises this contract? Or it may go straight to the school board?) along with a request that they take action.

Catherine

LD92599
02-15-2011, 04:44 PM
Any chance your program is run by the Y? Ours is. It's an issue w/ the Y, not the principal.

We spoke w/ our principal about something w/ the aftercare program and were told to speak w/ the aftercare staff although for us, one of the AC staff members IS employed by the school during the day, but it is separate.

babybunny
02-15-2011, 05:04 PM
No, it is not run by a Y but by a separate for profit company on school property.

babybunny
02-15-2011, 08:29 PM
Aftercare management was receptive to my comments. I will be watching. Other parents have complained prior to this and/or pulled their kid out of the program.

My Mommy radar is up.

Apparently the child in question is quiet in school and is CRAZY in aftercare. I wonder if he is on meds, and they wear off by 3 pm.