PDA

View Full Version : Lung steroid shot - any side effects on me?

s7714
02-15-2011, 04:55 PM
The high risk pregnancy Dr. I saw today said he was going to recommend to my regular OB that I get a shot of the lung steroid stuff on Thursday when I go in. My cervix is measuring short, so while at this point he thinks I can make it past 36 weeks (I'm almost at 31 now), he thinks the shot would be a good idea just in case.

I'm just wondering if I'm going to need to have someone drive me to the Dr.'s office on Thursday for some reason or if the shot isn't that big of a deal.

TIA!

Nooknookmom
02-15-2011, 05:10 PM
I had it with DD1, I had no side effects. Now I was IN the hospital so I did not have to drive, but I still did not have any weird effects.

Good luck and I hope all goes well :)

s7714
02-15-2011, 05:45 PM
I had it with DD1, I had no side effects. Now I was IN the hospital so I did not have to drive, but I still did not have any weird effects.

Thanks!

MissyL11
02-15-2011, 05:52 PM
I had it too in the hospital and had no effects from it. Good luck!

TwinFoxes
02-15-2011, 05:55 PM
I had it too in the hospital and had no effects from it. Good luck!

:yeahthat: My water had broken at 26 weeks, I had no real time to ask about side effects. But I had none that I know of. :)

wildfire
02-15-2011, 07:00 PM
No real side effects, but if you have GD it'll make your blood sugars a little wonky for a few days so that is something to be aware of. You should get two shots, though, a day apart.

ETA: Mine was done by my perinatologist, not my regular OB.

candaceb
02-15-2011, 07:40 PM
I had them and didn't have any side-effects that would require a driver, but they did make me really flushed and hot. Just uncomfortable - nothing serious.

s7714
02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
No real side effects, but if you have GD it'll make your blood sugars a little wonky for a few days so that is something to be aware of. You should get two shots, though, a day apart.

ETA: Mine was done by my perinatologist, not my regular OB.

No, no GD, but that's good to know since my blood sugar levels do tend to run a little high during pregnancy (just not high enough to fail the 3 hr. test). I wondered about how many shots were involved after reading some stuff this afternoon. Guess I'll find out what's in store in my case when I go in on Thursday!

sunshine873
02-15-2011, 09:01 PM

:yeahthat:
I had 2 rounds. One (2 shots) at 24 weeks and then another (one shot, because baby was born the next day) at 26 because they weren't sure if the one at 24 weeks would have helped. Anyway...I don't remember any side effects for myself. Good luck to you & baby!

newg
02-15-2011, 10:00 PM
I had no side effects from the shots.......other than a sore butt. I had two shots, 24hrs. apart. I have type I diabetes, so my blood sugars did run high for about 24-48hrs. after I got the last shot.

Good luck!!

s7714
02-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I had no side effects from the shots.......other than a sore butt.

Great, so you're telling me that in addition to staying off my feet, I'm going to have a sore butt to sit on? Fantastic! :p

newg
02-16-2011, 03:28 PM
Great, so you're telling me that in addition to staying off my feet, I'm going to have a sore butt to sit on? Fantastic! :p

ahhhhh yes, a sore butt while on bedrest is a wonderful thing.....such wonderful memories I have of that time :D

I did progesterone shots every week, so I was use to a sore butt, but I was prepared with an ice pack and that helped a ton. As soon as they were done I put the ice pack on and took a little tylenol.......