PDA

View Full Version : Help name our puppy. :)

crl
02-15-2011, 05:06 PM
Just found out our golden retriever puppy is a boy! So now we need to think of names. I think we will come up with two or three choices that we like and then let ds, age 7, chose. (He does NOT get free choice because I am NOT calking the darn dog Phineas for the next twelve years.)

So far we have thought of

Atticus
Buster (as in Buster Posey, go Giants!)

DH really likes Buster.

Bonus points if the name you think of can be tied into a phrase including the word time as the breeder is doing all the AKC names in a time theme, but is willing to take our suggestions within the theme.

Thanks!
Catherine

drako
02-15-2011, 05:27 PM
I assume his paper name will have the "time" theme and you will be able to come up with the call name. Here are a few thoughts:

Time Bandit (call him Bandit)
Just in Time (Justin)
It's 12 o'clock somewhere (Jimmy or after some cocktail beverage :-)
Back to the future (Marty McFly)

I always have fun with this since we show our dogs in AKC conformation and occassionally have a litter and need to do this!

AnnieW625
02-15-2011, 05:35 PM
My cousins named their golden Hunter. My grandpa's golden was named Cody. Our neighbor's golden when we were growing up was named Augie. Buster is your typical dog name, and is just okay with me. Is there anyway that you could work in Brian Wilson into the dog's name as he has way more facial hair (akin to a golden)?

I like Ferb more than Phineas. What about Perry?

I assume his paper name will have the "time" theme and you will be able to come up with the call name. Here are a few thoughts:

Time Bandit (call him Bandit)
Just in Time (Justin)
It's 12 o'clock somewhere (Jimmy or after some cocktail beverage :-)
Back to the future (Marty McFly)

I always have fun with this since we show our dogs in AKC conformation and occassionally have a litter and need to do this!

I find AKC naming so interesting when we watch the dog shows on TV. I find it funny when a dog's name sounds like a king (like Albert Charles Philip Henry House of Windsor), but then the dog is actually called Fred by the comentator.

So is there a simple way to explain dog naming or is it really like British royalty?

TwinFoxes
02-15-2011, 05:39 PM
My suggestion is stuck in the 80s..."Hammer Time" as in MC Hammer. I think "Hammer" is cute for a dog, especially a larger dog like a Golden.

When I filled our Boxer's AKC papers it said that the purchaser gets to name him/her. Our breeder had a name I thought was goofy, so we changed it completely, and his papers have "our" name on them.

I like PP's Time Bandit. My first dog as a kid was named Bandit. :)

crl
02-15-2011, 05:49 PM
Yes, breeder chooses paper name. We pick call name. They don't have to be related, but the breeder is willing to take suggestions if they fit her theme for this litter.

Most breeders seem to me to do themed litters and they also include their kennel name. That's all I know about how they name.

Thanks for all the ideas! More welcome!

Catherine

DietCokeLover
02-15-2011, 06:05 PM
Nick of Time (Nick)
Golden Years. (Goldie)

dec756
02-15-2011, 06:07 PM
i loveee buster

hillview
02-15-2011, 07:29 PM
I really like Phineas. or doofenshmirtz "doof"

veronica
02-15-2011, 07:34 PM
I like

D.O.G or Deeohhhgeee

Reyadawnbringer
02-15-2011, 07:37 PM
Our golden was named Riley.

TwinFoxes
02-15-2011, 08:24 PM
Yes, breeder chooses paper name. We pick call name. They don't have to be related, but the breeder is willing to take suggestions if they fit her theme for this litter.

Catherine

In our case, we named him his paper name. The breeder gave us the paper work to file ourselves, and AKC rules state whoever owns the dog when it's filed can change it.

The person who owns the dog at the time the application for registration is submitted to the AKC has the right to name it. Names are subject to AKC approval...

We weren't going to show him, he's pet quality, so maybe that's why they didn't file it. I've been in contact with her a few times, she knows we changed the name. I think she rather we hadn't, but she's been fine with it. His call name is one word of his paper name (we weren't very creative :) )

crl
02-15-2011, 08:28 PM
I really like Phineas. or doofenshmirtz "doof"

Omg. You and ds. ;). No way.

So I thought of a couple of baseball time references. One is Time Out and another is I did my time in the Mudville 9.

And then we could go with Buster, Casey, Homer, Slider. . . .

(Oh and my childhood golden was Catherine's Lady Penelope and we called her Penny. She was a very red golden so just the color of a penny. My brother's golden lab is Nilla.)

Catherine

TwinFoxes
02-15-2011, 09:01 PM
Time Out is very cute, with Homer as his call name.

Nooknookmom
02-15-2011, 09:05 PM
Have you met this puppy in person?

If it were me I would need to see and interact with this little guy before I could name him. Their personalities are so varied that he may look like one name on paper and when he gets a bit older look like someone else!

crl
02-15-2011, 09:25 PM
Have you met this puppy in person?

If it were me I would need to see and interact with this little guy before I could name him. Their personalities are so varied that he may look like one name on paper and when he gets a bit older look like someone else!

Nope. We name kids and dogs before we meet them. ;)

Catherine

3blackcats
02-15-2011, 10:52 PM
In reference to time, I am drawn to a Back to the Future movie reference. I might be the only one nerdy enough to do this.

I'd call him Marty :D

And for his AKC name I would call him -- Martin YourLastName McFly

jacksmom2009
02-15-2011, 10:59 PM
I love Buster

but some others i like

are Jake or jakey
and
rondo like ron doh

JoyNChrist
02-15-2011, 11:04 PM
No chance you're country music fans, huh? Because I would name him LastName's Tulsa Time and call him Donnie (or Willie, for Williams). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Time

But I'm dorky like that. ;)

I love coming up with registered names. I'm pretty proud of ours - we have a blue Great Dane, and the breeder wanted Hollywood in the titles. So our guy is LastName's Hollywood Blue Derby (get the restaurant reference?), call name Derby.

katydid1971
02-15-2011, 11:17 PM
How about Rolex and call her Lexie
or Timex and call her Timmy ;)

deborah_r
02-15-2011, 11:20 PM
I have no idea about the theme, but I want to name a pet Arlo at some point in the future.

DS1 wants a Golden so bad. He told me to suggest the name "Danny" for your puppy. Prior to that he suggested something unintelligible, like Lopus. Does make Danny sound like a better choice.

crl
02-15-2011, 11:48 PM
No chance you're country music fans, huh? Because I would name him LastName's Tulsa Time and call him Donnie (or Willie, for Williams). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_Time

But I'm dorky like that. ;)

I love coming up with registered names. I'm pretty proud of ours - we have a blue Great Dane, and the breeder wanted Hollywood in the titles. So our guy is LastName's Hollywood Blue Derby (get the restaurant reference?), call name Derby.

Oh that gave me another idea. How about Time's A Wastin and Cash?

I have no idea about the theme, but I want to name a pet Arlo at some point in the future.

DS1 wants a Golden so bad. He told me to suggest the name "Danny" for your puppy. Prior to that he suggested something unintelligible, like Lopus. Does make Danny sound like a better choice.

Aw. If you are near SF, he can come pet our puppy!

Catherine

JoyNChrist
02-15-2011, 11:49 PM
Oh that gave me another idea. How about Time's A Wastin and Cash?

:thumbsup: I like that even better than what I suggested.

bubbaray
02-16-2011, 12:01 AM
IIRC, dogs respond best to two-syllable call names. At least, that is what we were told. Dear dog's call name is 2 syllables, though, and his response (he's 10.5 now) is highly variable, LOL.

FYI, a call name doesn't have to have ANYTHING to do with a registered name. Our dog's name is [kennel] Hunter. His call name is NOT Hunter.

I have always loved the name Rupert for a dog, though in my mind I picture a Rottie named Rupert. Our next dog is 99.9% sure to be another lab and I have already told everyone I know IRL (including our vet) that our next lab is being named Hoover. And, yes, for the vacuum (if you own a lab, you'll get that joke).

I would pick a call name that you want to say to the dog billions of times a day. I would NOT pick Doof, b/c by far the majority of other people (and even you at times) will think Doofus. Come to think of it, that might have been a very appropriate name for our dog. But, DH would have SHOT me if I'd been screaming around the neighborhood "Doofus, here Doofus, Doof Doof Doof, here boy". You get my point. Just remember that -- the dog WILL get out at least once in his lifetime and you will drive around/run around the neighborhood screaming his name in panic.

For some reason, I've always liked the name Skipper for Goldens. No idea why.

crl
02-16-2011, 12:22 AM
IIRC, dogs respond best to two-syllable call names. At least, that is what we were told. Dear dog's call name is 2 syllables, though, and his response (he's 10.5 now) is highly variable, LOL.

FYI, a call name doesn't have to have ANYTHING to do with a registered name. Our dog's name is [kennel] Hunter. His call name is NOT Hunter.

For some reason, I've always liked the name Skipper for Goldens. No idea why.

Oh yeah, I know the two names can be completely unrelated. I'm just geeky and like the idea of the reference.

Hmm, skipper? A three hour tour, a three hour tour. . . . . (theme song to Gilligan's Island).

Catherine

Catherine