PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 Quattro 2.0 T?

newnana
02-16-2011, 12:36 AM
Alright, I lurve me some German cars. Grew up in the back seat of a Porsche 911 with the old school Bobbie Mack car seats before they were even cool.

Hate DH's car. I've never hated a car before. We typically drive our vehicles into the ground.

I'm thinking of a used Audi A4 Quattro 2.0T but reviews are all over the map. I know I'll love the handling, but am afraid of maintenance costs. Seems like the Quattro is one of the better on the market for handling in the snow, so I'm leaning towards it over the Infinity M35X or Subaru Legacy.

I have found one for less than blue book and low miles, but the ignition coil recall and oil burning reviews have me skeevy. Anybody here want to share their experience with me? I trust you guys more than just about anybody. Pretty please?

BelleoftheBallFlagstaff
02-16-2011, 12:51 AM
What year. My 1999 Audi A6 Quattro Wagon handles excellent in snow, as does DH's 2001 Subie Legacy Sedan.

Audi is def. more high maintenance. Catalytic converters go out on Audi's, too. Whan they are running they are the best, my mechanic says they are great just over engineered. He drives a Subie and Toyota! Audi's also have several sensors that go wrong, AND have crappy clearance, took my skid plate off twice in 2 years, when my hood wasn't plowed fast enough.

caleymama
02-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Well, I can only speak to my parents' experience, but I know they've loved the A4s they've had. They are on their 3rd Subaru wagon in my lifetime, second in recent years (just got a 2010 a few months ago), and for a while my dad had a WRX. They like peppy cars. Currently their other car besides the Subaru is a BMW 325xi (328xi? not sure?) which my Dad likes but my Mom doesn't really care for - she really preferred their previous Audi(s). She likes the BMW more now that they have different tires on it, but I'm not sure of the specifics - I think it had something to do with the run flat tires. I know the Subaru is great in the snow as were the Audis and I think the BMW does okay (it's AWD). I've driven all of them at different times and compared to my minivan they all drive like a dream! When they shopped around recently to replace their old Subaru wagon, they went to car shows and shopped for a while. They checked out everything from Audi crossovers to BMW crossovers to Toyota, Nissan, etc. and ultimately came back to the new Outback. They've decided to stick with their BMW for the time being but I have a feeling that next time my Mom will be back to an Audi. I don't recall any major maintenance issues with any cars that they've owned, Audi or otherwise.

newnana
02-16-2011, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the responses! I'm looking at an 07.

Yep, I've heard about the catalytic converter issues and fear the $$$ maintenance. But I like pep. And think I need the AWD and still don't want an SUV (or wagon). I don't have the need for that kind of space.

We won't be buying anything new, it's just not our style. I've looked at the Legacy, and am just not sold on it and the plastic manufacture.

I have lemon fear.