PDA

View Full Version : Should we wait to get a dog?

hillview
02-16-2011, 11:09 AM
I really want a dog. We haven't had one for 4 years and I miss having one. The boys seem to sort of want one but aren't super enthusiastic about it. I was all ready to go visit puppies this weekend but am not having second thoughts. DH and I travel a lot and have hectic jobs (I am home about 60% of the time and we'd have a dog walker when I am traveling). I am thinking it isn't a good time especially since the boys will say they want a dog but aren't BEGGING for one. If we were going to get one this year I think now would be the time as we could do all the house training before fall.

Is there ever a "good time" for a dog? Did you wait til the kids were begging for one?

Thanks
/hillary

crl
02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
I think there really isn't ever a perfect time. But some times are better than others. I would not base it on the kids. No matter whether they are begging or not, they are not going to do the work. They just aren't. So, I think the question is are you and dh willing and able to do the work or hire it done?

Catherine

weech
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
Agree with pp - if you want a dog and you and DH are willing to do the work, go for it!

twowhat?
02-16-2011, 11:16 AM
I think there really isn't ever a perfect time. But some times are better than others. I would not base it on the kids. No matter whether they are begging or not, they are not going to do the work. They just aren't. So, I think the question is are you and dh willing and able to do the work or hire it done?

Catherine

:yeahthat: Leave the kids completely out of the equation when you ask the question of whether you want a dog. And yes, you'll have to line up a reliable dog sitter and walker or a good doggie daycare/overnight care. If both you and DH are out of town at the same time, a dog walker would have to come multiple times during the day (first thing early AM, around noon, at dinnertime, and at bedtime, at the very least - and this is for an adult housetrained dog).

Of course if you decide to get a dog, then put the kids back into the equation:)

liamsmom
02-16-2011, 12:17 PM
I say go for it! But, I'd really wait for a couple of months until the snow is gone. This is pretty miserable weather to teach a puppy house training and leash walking.

hellokitty
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
If you travel a lot, my honest opinion, in all fairness to the dog would be to not get one. It's really rough on a pet if you travel all of the time and you have to kennel them or have someone come over that they are unfamiliar with. Our dog died about six months ago and I miss her terribly. However, as our kids get older, I know that we will travel more and I feel that it would be unfair to bring another dog into our lives when we will be traveling more often as also as the kids get older, we will be doing more extracurricular activities and not as home as often. We had a dog who had severe separation anxiety and I tried to make things better for her, but having dealt with a dog that had that issue before, my advice is that if you aren't going to be home that much, then it's probably not a good idea to get a dog. They are social animals and IMO need as much care and attn as a child does.

hillview
02-16-2011, 03:40 PM
Thanks all, one of us is ALWAYS home at night so the dog would have someone here all the time (not kennels). When I am home I would walk the dog (no dog walker) when I am traveling we'd have a dog walker in the day (DH would walk at night and in the am). My parents live with us so the dog would always have a companion. Bet my parents would also take the dog out at times but I wouldn't want to put the burden on them to walk a dog every day when I am traveling as it isn't their dog :)

Thanks for your thoughts!
/hillary

BillK
02-16-2011, 03:48 PM
We just lost our sweet baby a couple weeks ago and I already want another one - even though I miss her terribly and can't imagine ever having another dog truly "replace" her.

Right now my wife's not on board with getting another - and neither of our boys (6 & 3) are very anxious either - so I respect that...for now. I hope we can get another within a year or so.

But I do agree that there's never a "good or ideal" time. They're a lot of work initially - but really after the first month or so - provided you're doing obedience training etc I think it get's simpler as everyone gets to know one another and you fall into a routine.

I really hope to have another buddy to come to work with me. Good luck on your decision!

twowhat?
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Thanks all, one of us is ALWAYS home at night so the dog would have someone here all the time (not kennels). When I am home I would walk the dog (no dog walker) when I am traveling we'd have a dog walker in the day (DH would walk at night and in the am). My parents live with us so the dog would always have a companion. Bet my parents would also take the dog out at times but I wouldn't want to put the burden on them to walk a dog every day when I am traveling as it isn't their dog :)

Thanks for your thoughts!
/hillary

Oh, well that sounds perfect! To have someone be in the house with the dog all day is HUGE (especially if those people love the dog)!