PDA

View Full Version : UppaBaby G-Luxe vs. Maclaren Quest

MamaMichelle
02-16-2011, 02:43 PM
Hello,

I'm down to these two choices and need some help deciding (keep in mind, I'm only considering the 2011 G-Luxe with the 50 lbs. limit). So far, the G-Luxe is in the lead with bigger canopy, wheels, storage bag. The higher handle and stand-up features aren't a biggie for me. Maclaren has the advantage in weight capacity. Which stroller has the thicker seat/back padding? The feature that I'm most stuck on is the reclining backrest. Which model reclines further? G-Luxe is advertised at 120 degrees but I can't find the specs for the Quest. I'm also looking at the mechanism that's used for reclining (one-handed string for the G-Luxe vs. the two-handed gizmo for the Quest). Pros and cons of either style? Thanks.

jbbhb
02-16-2011, 02:49 PM
I also was stuck on these two and after looking at them all (I had to look at the 2010 G-Luxe but was planning on ordering the 2011) I decided to go with the Bumbleride Flite. Sorry if this confuses you more ;)

I liked that it was a little more versitile, here is my review if you are interested...
http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=380153

Minnifer
02-16-2011, 03:03 PM
Here's another consideration if you're tall or have a long stride - kicking the back of the Quest, but not the G-Luxe (the rear frame is elevated to prevent this). This is the reason I hate Macs - drives me nuts!!! I'm only around 5'7" (probably closer to 5'6") but have a long stride too.

jbbhb - does the Bumbleride Flite have an elevated rear frame? I looked at your pics but couldn't tell.

MamaMichelle
02-16-2011, 03:15 PM
I'm barely 5' and hubby is 5'6" so leg room is not a concern for us. The Bumbleride looks tempting but it's 2 lbs. heavier than the G-Luxe. At barely 5' and 90 lbs. dripping wet, the lighter the stroller the better for me. Having said that, if the Quest (12.2 lbs.) edges out in this comparison, then I'm gonna have to open it back up to the Flite. :wink2:

lhafer
02-16-2011, 03:36 PM
I'm barely 5' and hubby is 5'6" so leg room is not a concern for us. The Bumbleride looks tempting but it's 2 lbs. heavier than the G-Luxe. At barely 5' and 90 lbs. dripping wet, the lighter the stroller the better for me. Having said that, if the Quest (12.2 lbs.) edges out in this comparison, then I'm gonna have to open it back up to the Flite. :wink2:

I did a comparison of the G-Luxe among a lot of other strollers. It's quite long, so if you carry it via the shoulder strap, at your height it might be awkward.

The G-luxe has a very good recline for an umbrella. I took lots of pics of some in my comparison recently.

jerry_mishkata
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
Hello,

I'm down to these two choices and need some help deciding (keep in mind, I'm only considering the 2011 G-Luxe with the 50 lbs. limit). So far, the G-Luxe is in the lead with bigger canopy, wheels, storage bag. The higher handle and stand-up features aren't a biggie for me. Maclaren has the advantage in weight capacity. Which stroller has the thicker seat/back padding? The feature that I'm most stuck on is the reclining backrest. Which model reclines further? G-Luxe is advertised at 120 degrees but I can't find the specs for the Quest. I'm also looking at the mechanism that's used for reclining (one-handed string for the G-Luxe vs. the two-handed gizmo for the Quest). Pros and cons of either style? Thanks.

My best friend had a Quest, I had a G-luxe. The reclines are the same in amount.

The strap recline is better because you have better access to the basket.

The Quest, I think, has a better leg rest and the liners are better looking. Also, resale value should be better on a Maclaren.

The G-luxe has a much better canopy.

New G-luxe models have locking front wheels! That's great when you are going over gravel... I don't say you should but I know you have to sometimes -- I've had to in new places. My front wheels do not lock and I was super annoyed by that (I have 2009 model)

The G-luxe is 1 lb lighter than the quest (at least).

I don't know how prices compare now but g-luxe used to be much cheaper than quest. That's why I got it (I got it b/c a friend was coming and I needed an inexpensive umbrella stroller for a 6 month old really quickly). I was very happy I did...

MamaMichelle
02-16-2011, 04:39 PM
I did a comparison of the G-Luxe among a lot of other strollers. It's quite long, so if you carry it via the shoulder strap, at your height it might be awkward.

The G-luxe has a very good recline for an umbrella. I took lots of pics of some in my comparison recently.

Yes, I saw your review and pics. Very helpful. It seemed like these two models made your final cut too, have you decided? What made the difference?

In terms of some of the feedback that I've gotten...resale value is not that important to me so that's a wash...height difference is about 1.5 inches (from what I can tell) so that's not a deal maker/breaker either. What did you think of the padding between the two models? In terms of overall feel, was one significantly better than the other?

lhafer
02-16-2011, 04:55 PM
Yes, I saw your review and pics. Very helpful. It seemed like these two models made your final cut too, have you decided? What made the difference?

In terms of some of the feedback that I've gotten...resale value is not that important to me so that's a wash...height difference is about 1.5 inches (from what I can tell) so that's not a deal maker/breaker either. What did you think of the padding between the two models? In terms of overall feel, was one significantly better than the other?

I finally went with a Triumph actually. I decided the quest was too much like my current BJCM. Since my baby is a few days shy of a year old, I wasn't sure how long I would need the leg rest. Plus I didn't really like the mechanism for the leg rest on the Quest (although I've heard it's different and more user friendly on the 2011 models - haven't seen one to play with it). So for the price difference - the Triumph fits my needs the best at a better price.

Cushioning - hmmm. I would say they feel about the same "cushiness", but the type of cushion they have is very different. I know that makes no sense. The recline on the G-luxe is a lot deeper. The quest has a foot rest, so the not as deep recline is kind of balanced out by the foot rest IMO.

Sturdiness - I found the G-luxe to be sturdier in terms of tippiness. I was able to hang my diaper bag off of both, and still had to "force" the G-luxe to tip backward some. The Maclarens are known for their tippiness.

The fold of the G-luxe is not as compact as the Maclaren if that matters. It still folds umbrella style of course - just a little bulkier.

The seat on the G-luxe is more upright in the upright position than the quest if that matters. And the G-Luxe comes with a cup holder.

I think they are about neck and neck. Is there a style you like better? Color you like better? The G-Luxe will be significantly cheaper than the Maclaren. You might want to just get both from a store with a good return policy and see which one you like better, and return the other one.

It's such an individual decision.

MamaMichelle
02-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I finally went with a Triumph actually. I decided the quest was too much like my current BJCM. Since my baby is a few days shy of a year old, I wasn't sure how long I would need the leg rest. Plus I didn't really like the mechanism for the leg rest on the Quest (although I've heard it's different and more user friendly on the 2011 models - haven't seen one to play with it). So for the price difference - the Triumph fits my needs the best at a better price.

Cushioning - hmmm. I would say they feel about the same "cushiness", but the type of cushion they have is very different. I know that makes no sense. The recline on the G-luxe is a lot deeper. The quest has a foot rest, so the not as deep recline is kind of balanced out by the foot rest IMO.

Sturdiness - I found the G-luxe to be sturdier in terms of tippiness. I was able to hang my diaper bag off of both, and still had to "force" the G-luxe to tip backward some. The Maclarens are known for their tippiness.

The fold of the G-luxe is not as compact as the Maclaren if that matters. It still folds umbrella style of course - just a little bulkier.

The seat on the G-luxe is more upright in the upright position than the quest if that matters. And the G-Luxe comes with a cup holder.

I think they are about neck and neck. Is there a style you like better? Color you like better? The G-Luxe will be significantly cheaper than the Maclaren. You might want to just get both from a store with a good return policy and see which one you like better, and return the other one.

It's such an individual decision.

Can you elaborate on the cushioning? Different how? For instance, which seems to have the better fabric? Breathability? I've read that the G-Luxe is fade resistant. As for your other points, they are extremely helpful. In terms of pricing, the 2011 G-Luxe are $190 and the Maclarens that I've seen are in the $220 range, so not a huge difference. What prices have you seen that makes you say the L-Luxe is significantly cheaper? Thanks a bunch for your reply.

lhafer
02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Can you elaborate on the cushioning? Different how? For instance, which seems to have the better fabric? Breathability? I've read that the G-Luxe is fade resistant. As for your other points, they are extremely helpful. In terms of pricing, the 2011 G-Luxe are $190 and the Maclarens that I've seen are in the $220 range, so not a huge difference. What prices have you seen that makes you say the L-Luxe is significantly cheaper? Thanks a bunch for your reply.

I was seeing like $135 for the G-luxe for 2010 models. I don't know enough about them to know what the new features (if any) are on the 2011.

http://www.pishposhbaby.com/uppababy-g-luxe-jake.html?gdftrk=gdfV2560_a_7c660_a_7c2359_a_7c006 1HM_d_JKE

The Maclarens have more of a plushy material feel, and the G-luxe has more of a...meshy feel to the fabric. Not uncomfortable. But it kind of looks like it would be easy to snag it on something.

If you go back to the comparison photos from yesterday and look at the Part II ones, look at the green G-luxe my older DD is sitting in. When you click on the picture, you can zoom in (the little magnifying glass with a + sign on the right) and when it opens up, double click on the picture a few times (you can move the image around). Look by her leg...you can see the meshyness/textured type of fabric it has versus the Quests more solid type of fabric. I can't tell you about the Quests' fabric because depending on which one you choose it could be suede, canvas, denim, etc.

jerry_mishkata
02-17-2011, 09:06 AM
I was seeing like $135 for the G-luxe for 2010 models. I don't know enough about them to know what the new features (if any) are on the 2011.

http://www.pishposhbaby.com/uppababy-g-luxe-jake.html?gdftrk=gdfV2560_a_7c660_a_7c2359_a_7c006 1HM_d_JKE

The Maclarens have more of a plushy material feel, and the G-luxe has more of a...meshy feel to the fabric. Not uncomfortable. But it kind of looks like it would be easy to snag it on something.

If you go back to the comparison photos from yesterday and look at the Part II ones, look at the green G-luxe my older DD is sitting in. When you click on the picture, you can zoom in (the little magnifying glass with a + sign on the right) and when it opens up, double click on the picture a few times (you can move the image around). Look by her leg...you can see the meshyness/textured type of fabric it has versus the Quests more solid type of fabric. I can't tell you about the Quests' fabric because depending on which one you choose it could be suede, canvas, denim, etc.

UppaBaby changed the fabrics on the 2011 model of G-luxe and it is no longer mesh. I like mine with the mesh, though, it is great for the summer and I use a footmuff in the winter anyway. Haven't tried the new fabric ones, they might be cool in the summer too, I don't know.

Just a note -- do not get any of the light colored models -- I've seen some very dirty g-luxes where I live -- green and red ones, I am guessing when older children get into the seats muddy they can muddy them and I think they are harder to clean. I have cleaned mine (I have black) though I never had severe messes. I like the liners on the Macs for that, you can wash them, right, but still I like the G-luxe better (I mean, I would just use some other liner on it).

The navy and black g-luxe are nice and dark so I would get that. I love the Navy but I couldn't bring myself to get it for a girl.

Btw, this pishposhbaby link looks like a 2009 model -- only one layer of the pop out canopy. But then it says it is 2010 -- I would call to ask them about it before I commit.

jbbhb
02-17-2011, 09:33 AM
I am 5'2", so I have never kicked the frame of my flite, but my husband is 6' and he hadn't never complained about it, which makes me think he doesn't kick it. It doesn't have an elevated frame that I can tell.

Regarding the 2 lb. difference, I was worried about that also, but it is very light, and I'm a weakling :)

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

arivecchi
02-17-2011, 12:06 PM
OP, I would get this instead of a Quest or G-Luxe! It's a Ryder and comes loaded with accessories.

http://compare.ebay.com/like/250706630805?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar&rvr_id=211141060595&crlp=1_263602_309572&UA=WXI6&GUID=9f027a7d12c0a0aa12033203ff5e4f91&itemid=250706630805&ff4=263602_309572

MamaMichelle
02-18-2011, 09:27 PM
lhafer - The weight limit for the 2011 G-Luxe was increased from 40 lbs. to 50 lbs.

The G-Luxe is supposed to have shock suspension on all four wheels. None for the Quest? Was this noticeable to you? Is it a difference maker between the two models?

nmstrong
02-19-2011, 02:14 AM
I think the quest is kinda cuter. And about the same price, not much more
http://cgi.ebay.com/Maclaren-Quest-GAP-Navy-2009-Stroller-New-Box-/250768800121?pt=Strollers&hash=item3a62fc3979#ht_2103wt_689
The Mac guy has them from time to time for 110 shipped....
I haven't tried the g luxe but I love my vista so maybe I would like it.

Jelly Bean
02-20-2011, 09:45 AM
I checked out the G-Luxe 2011 in person yesterday and it is awesome! The canopy and plush new seat (that's soooo easy to remove and wash) are amazing. I ordered one and am planning on giving my Quest to my mom who watches DD full time or selling it. The canopy, standing fold, easy access basket, suspension and plush seat - and Uppa's customer service - sold me. Can't wait for my new stroller to come!!!

MamaMichelle
02-20-2011, 10:21 AM
I checked out the G-Luxe 2011 in person yesterday and it is awesome! The canopy and plush new seat (that's soooo easy to remove and wash) are amazing. I ordered one and am planning on giving my Quest to my mom who watches DD full time or selling it. The canopy, standing fold, easy access basket, suspension and plush seat - and Uppa's customer service - sold me. Can't wait for my new stroller to come!!!

Which color did you go with? Can you tell me more about the suspension...was it noticeable?...better than the Mac Quest which has no suspension? How does the rolling/steering compare to the Quest? Lastly, how do you think the reclining feature compares between the two models?...which one reclines further?...which one sits up more upright?...which reclining mechanism is easier/better?

I've narrowed my choices to the Quest and the Luxe but haven't decided between them so any insight would be greatly appreciated. :D

Jelly Bean
02-20-2011, 01:39 PM
Which color did you go with? Can you tell me more about the suspension...was it noticeable?...better than the Mac Quest which has no suspension? How does the rolling/steering compare to the Quest? Lastly, how do you think the reclining feature compares between the two models?...which one reclines further?...which one sits up more upright?...which reclining mechanism is easier/better?

I've narrowed my choices to the Quest and the Luxe but haven't decided between them so any insight would be greatly appreciated. :D

The store I went to only had the Teal in stock - it was really pretty but I went out on a limb and ordered the Ani (orange) sight unseen. The sales guy told me it's a light orangey-yellow so I think it'll look nice and summery. Too bad it's not the same yellow as my Maya Vista...

The recline DOWN on the gluxe is easier - you just pinch the little clips together and pull them down on the strap. But the recline UP on the Quest is easier. I like that you can just push it up with your hands and it clicks into place. The gluxe is a little harder to do since you have to pinch the little clasp together and push up at the same time. As for depth of recline, the gluxe goes to 120 degrees. Is that the same as the Quest? It looks deeper than my Quest but don't quote me on that.

It was the windiest day in creation in DC yesterday so I did not take the stroller outside to test it but it seemed to glide indoors just like the Quest does. I noticed the suspension but the sales guy said it handles great outdoors and can easily be pushed one handed.

It's a mom and pop shop so they are very knowledgeable about their products. They showed me all these features like how to take the seat off and wash it (easier than the Quest and sooooo plush), great size cupholder attached, standing fold, rotating (!!!) canopy and that's BEFORE you extend the extra SPF 50 shade extender, basket is easier to access since the recline mechanism isn't blocking it like it is on the Quest, super easy extending legrest (my DD is tall enough now that she doesn't need the legrest extended up, but it still hangs down like the Quest so it's comfy and padded behind her knees and calves, new weight limit up to 50 lbs, tons of headroom, and while the fabric is more sporty/shiny than the Quest, it is treated with some sort of stain-blocker and it looks like it would be super easy to clean without fading - clean it with a soapy sponge, rinse with a hose and let it dry in the sun.

I'm OBSESSED with this new stroller!!! DH thinks it's ridiculous that I need a replacement for the Quest but I use an umbrella so often that I need it to be amazing and I'm sure he'll be sold on it once he tries it out. The Quest was fab for indoors and I didn't really mind the lack of suspension since it was pretty smooth outside, but I hated hated hated hated the sunshade.

Can't wait to report back when it comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

legaleagle
02-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Jelly Bean - which store did you buy from? I'm also in the DC area and I didn't think there were any stores that carried it around here!

Jelly Bean
02-20-2011, 04:52 PM
Jelly Bean - which store did you buy from? I'm also in the DC area and I didn't think there were any stores that carried it around here!

Baby Blossom in Fairfax. They are the only store in the area that I've found who carries the g-luxe.

legaleagle
02-20-2011, 05:06 PM
Oh, I got my easywalker qtro there a couple months ago but I didn't notice they had g-luxes. Super nice people there!

Beth24
02-20-2011, 05:34 PM
I hope you like it! Just curious...how does the wheel size compare to the Quest?

Jelly Bean
02-20-2011, 05:45 PM
I hope you like it! Just curious...how does the wheel size compare to the Quest?

I didn't compare them side by side in the store but they are either bigger than the Quest or the same. Definitely not smaller. I think I read that Gluxe is 6 inches and Quest is 5 inches? They look similar sized but the Gluxe style is different. They are more rounded on the sides with "thread" on them if you know what I mean. When folded the Gluxe sticks out further. They don't close into the hood so it is slightly less compact. I would take the wheels off if I was gate checking the stroller on a plane, whereas I wouldn't with the Quest.

Jelly Bean
02-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh, I got my easywalker qtro there a couple months ago but I didn't notice they had g-luxes. Super nice people there!

He said they just got in their 2011 shipment and had sold out of all of the old ones so it's possible they didn't have them when you were there. They said they are getting red on Tuesday but will order whatever you want.

MamaMichelle
02-20-2011, 06:33 PM

From my reading on the net, the Quest wheels are 5 inches in diameter while the Luxe wheels are 5.5 inches. Another point for the Luxe :jammin:.

MamaMichelle
02-20-2011, 06:40 PM
The store I went to only had the Teal in stock - it was really pretty but I went out on a limb and ordered the Ani (orange) sight unseen. The sales guy told me it's a light orangey-yellow so I think it'll look nice and summery. Too bad it's not the same yellow as my Maya Vista...

The recline DOWN on the gluxe is easier - you just pinch the little clips together and pull them down on the strap. But the recline UP on the Quest is easier. I like that you can just push it up with your hands and it clicks into place. The gluxe is a little harder to do since you have to pinch the little clasp together and push up at the same time. As for depth of recline, the gluxe goes to 120 degrees. Is that the same as the Quest? It looks deeper than my Quest but don't quote me on that.

It was the windiest day in creation in DC yesterday so I did not take the stroller outside to test it but it seemed to glide indoors just like the Quest does. I noticed the suspension but the sales guy said it handles great outdoors and can easily be pushed one handed.

It's a mom and pop shop so they are very knowledgeable about their products. They showed me all these features like how to take the seat off and wash it (easier than the Quest and sooooo plush), great size cupholder attached, standing fold, rotating (!!!) canopy and that's BEFORE you extend the extra SPF 50 shade extender, basket is easier to access since the recline mechanism isn't blocking it like it is on the Quest, super easy extending legrest (my DD is tall enough now that she doesn't need the legrest extended up, but it still hangs down like the Quest so it's comfy and padded behind her knees and calves, new weight limit up to 50 lbs, tons of headroom, and while the fabric is more sporty/shiny than the Quest, it is treated with some sort of stain-blocker and it looks like it would be super easy to clean without fading - clean it with a soapy sponge, rinse with a hose and let it dry in the sun.

I'm OBSESSED with this new stroller!!! DH thinks it's ridiculous that I need a replacement for the Quest but I use an umbrella so often that I need it to be amazing and I'm sure he'll be sold on it once he tries it out. The Quest was fab for indoors and I didn't really mind the lack of suspension since it was pretty smooth outside, but I hated hated hated hated the sunshade.

Can't wait to report back when it comes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, thanks for your indepth response :thumbsup:. Sounds like the Luxe is the way to go for me too. I'm also looking at the Ani. I love the shade of orange/yellow but am a little concerned about the white canopy getting dirty. Oh well, that's why they made soap and water.

Jelly Bean
02-20-2011, 06:51 PM
Wow, thanks for your indepth response :thumbsup:. Sounds like the Luxe is the way to go for me too. I'm also looking at the Ani. I love the shade of orange/yellow but am a little concerned about the white canopy getting dirty. Oh well, that's why they made soap and water :bighand:.

The sales guys said the canopy is tan and when you close the wheels, they do not touch the shade. I hope it'll stay clean that way!