PDA

View Full Version : Adult Asthma sufferers

HIU8
02-16-2011, 02:51 PM
Ok, I went to the allergist yesterday. Preliminary skin tests were negative (with one false negative for mold). Next week I go back for more tests (this time on the arms under the skin). As for the asthma issues I'm having. I have a dry cough that happens when I feel like I can't breath along with a tightness in my chest. It's more the tightness and less the cough. The allergist said the testing she did (some breathing test on the computer) was ok, but not great). She is waiting until the rest of the testing is done but feels I may be put on something. So, my question (b/c I have not been to an allergist since I was a teenager and NEVER been tested for asthma) is:

Is this how the doc figures out if I need to be on something? Is there further testing that has to be done?

lizzywednesday
02-16-2011, 03:12 PM
They did a flow-meter test for me as well as a listen with a stethoscope when they diagnosed my asthma 10 years ago.

I would suppose that the "flow meter" would be that computer test you're referring to ... it's supposed to measure lung function.

I would definitely talk about all your symptoms - my asthma might not have been asthma so much as a combination of anxiety and environmental sensitivity. (My diagnosis came shortly after 9/11; I was working in the NYC metro area, spent a great deal of time in Jersey City and knew two young men whose lives were lost when the Towers went down. To this day, the emotions give me panic attacks where I get short of breath, but I have no other asthma symptoms, so it leads me to believe that I really do not have asthma.)

HIU8
02-16-2011, 03:17 PM
I know mine is exercise induced. I've had issues with swimming my entire life and also in cold weather and now with running. I'm supposed to exercise b/c it helps to regulate the skip beats I have with my heartrate. She did hear some wheezing--which I never paid attention to.

bubbaray
02-16-2011, 09:32 PM
My understanding is that the definitive test for asthma is a methycholine challenge. There are other tests an FCV or something and then another nitrous test? I can't remember all the different tests that I've had. I've had 1 MC challenge, which thankfully they don't repeat each time. The other two they do repeat each visit.

catsnkid
02-17-2011, 10:39 AM
My asthma is infection triggered. My allergist put me on symbicort as flovent was not doing the job. I have been on inhalers every winter since I got PG with DS. I have been getting sick more now as he is in DC.