PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about food...

Twoboos
02-16-2011, 03:09 PM
So we're going to DisneyLand in a couple of months. I have been thinking about food. I'll be making reservations for at least the princess meal at Ariel's Grotto, and probably one other character meal. Other than that, we didn't do the dining plan (although we can still add it in). But I can make reservations this week for wherever else we want to go.

So - If you've been, where have your favorite meals been? Or least favorite?

The other thoughts. At home we usually eat here and I cook pretty healthy overall - some weeks better than others. :wink2: I am wondering how we're going to do with 4 days of park food. And DD's eating all the crap food that they like to eat when we go out - hot dogs, pizza, nuggets, etc. I feel a bit sick thinking of all that eating out for bfast/lunch/dinner/snacks!!

I am thinking of bringing food with us, like snacks/things that we often eat that we can prep in the room. Especially breakfast type items (cereal, oatmeal, etc.). Or I have been reading on Disboards that you can order from Vons (local grocery) and they will deliver for you. There is a fridge in the room.

Did you bring your own food at all? Or have stuff you kept in the room?

sariana
02-16-2011, 07:25 PM
Are you taking a stroller? They NEVER have checked the bottom basket of our stroller (i.e. we always take in one meal--lunch--and buy only dinner).

We live nearby, so I can't comment on doing this from a hotel room. But if you have a fridge in the room, you should be able to make simple sandwiches, at least.

hillview
02-16-2011, 07:27 PM
I really liked Ariel's Grotto. I always take my own snacks (granola bars, cereal).
/hillary

Tondi G
02-17-2011, 01:25 AM
You can easily bring in your own food. They used to be a lot more stringent on not letting people bring in food but not anymore. You can bring sandwiches, fruit (apples,oranges,bananas travel well... grapes are good too), cereal bars, granola bars, vegi's (cucumber slices, baby carrots), pretzels, crackers, juice boxes, bottled water etc.

I think planning for quick breakfasts in the room are a good idea... cold cereal, milk, juice, fruit, bagels and cream cheese, PB& J sandwiches.

there are options for healthier meals within the park. They have sandwiches and the kids meals have the option of having baby carrots or apple slices instead of fries. I don't know how your kids would feel about it but mine LOVE the Gumbo that comes in a sourdough bread bowl at the little counter just around the corner from Pirates of the Caribbean. It just feels a bit healthier filling their stomaches with soup with vegis and rice in it rather than chicken nuggets. My kids like the pizza place in Tomorrowland.... they have decent food... pastas and salads in addition to the pizza.

They do have some good restaurants in Downtown Disney too. The mexican food is good (we just ate at the quick side a month ago and it was good tacos and nachos etc). We've eaten at the La Brea Bakery and it is good, but not cheap. They have a quick service side too. Rainforest Cafe is a fav for our boys... if you are not safari club members it can be a long wait but we've killed time in the Lego Store across the way.

For character meals we have only ever been to Goofy's Kitchen and we enjoyed it. We've had breakfast there and dinner there.

Hope you have a great trip!

mytwosons
02-17-2011, 07:33 AM
there are options for healthier meals within the park. They have sandwiches and the kids meals have the option of having baby carrots or apple slices instead of fries.

:yeahthat: DC have food allergies, so weren't restricted to the kids meals. They ate very healthy meals (i.e. veggies w/lunch and dinner) w/about two burgers the whole week. (I was shocked at the huge serving sizes of veggies at the sit down restaurants.) There are fruit cups available all over the place as well as whole fresh fruit. Walking that much really seemed to work up their appetites.

I often feel yucky by the end of a trip due to the change in diet, but not at Disney!

We liked the character meals at the Garden Grille in Epcot (best food), Crystal Palace and Chef Mickey (character interactions).

khalloc
02-17-2011, 10:33 AM
We just got back from WDW. You can certainly bring in your own food. It cant be in a hard cooler. Soft-side only. We brought sandwiches, yogurt tubes, cookies, chips, juice boxes, cans of soda.