PDA

View Full Version : Frustrating craigslist experience

persephonefalls
02-16-2011, 03:21 PM
My husband and I are big craigslisters. We've gotten a lot of great things on craigslist, and had some wonderful interactions.

Yesterday, we bought a boon high chair on craigslist. We checked out all the parts to make sure everything was okay, and it all looked in order. We got it home, and started to set up the straps (the previous owner had taken them out to wash them.)

As soon as we buckled our daughter in, one of the prongs of the buckle snapped off.

I know she didn't deliberately give us a broken high chair, but I feel kind of cheated. She told us many times how good condition it was in, and what good care she took of it.

I emailed her about it, but haven't heard back yet (and when I emailed her about making an appointment to see the chair, she got back to me right away, so I know she checks her email.)

I know I can order new straps, but I'm still kind of bummed out about it.

o_mom
02-16-2011, 03:29 PM
Well, that's a bummer. :( I don't know how that could possibly be the sellers fault, though. Was there any sign that it was going to break?

It sucks when something breaks right away, but I wouldn't even contact the seller.

twowhat?
02-16-2011, 04:02 PM
Well, that's a bummer. :( I don't know how that could possibly be the sellers fault, though. Was there any sign that it was going to break?

It sucks when something breaks right away, but I wouldn't even contact the seller.

:yeahthat: I would let it go. It's not the seller's fault. But - I would call Boon customer service to see what they say - maybe they'll send you new straps!

Melaine
02-16-2011, 04:03 PM
:yeahthat: I would let it go. It's not the seller's fault. But - I would call Boon customer service to see what they say - maybe they'll send you new straps!

:yeahthat: I've had great experiences with baby/kid companies offering replacements, you should totally contact them. If I were the seller, I wouldn't respond to your email, frankly. I sell all the time on CL, and for a buyer to email me about something that broke after the purchase was made....that's a little nuts, IMO. That wasn't their fault, even remotely.

TwinFoxes
02-16-2011, 04:05 PM

:yeahthat: If I were the seller I probably wouldn't even reply. It's an as-is sale. It totally sucks though. I think calling Boon is a really good idea. Maybe it's a known problem, and they are happy to replace the straps.

mom2binsd
02-16-2011, 05:48 PM
I've had those type of buckles break all the time on strollers and such, they are flimsy, honestly I don't think the seller could have known it was going to break.

MMMommy
02-16-2011, 07:39 PM
Not the seller's fault at all, especially since you checked all the parts before buying. I wouldn't contact the seller. I would contact the manufacturer at best.

Melanie
02-16-2011, 08:07 PM

ITA.

But it is a bummer.

DrSally
02-16-2011, 09:33 PM
I agree with pp's, just bad luck and I wouldn't have contacted the seller.
I sold a digital camera for $20 and the guy kept taking the memory card in and out, playing with it. He emailed me to let me know that it had broken (where you put the memory card in). I offered to refund his money (even though it wasn't my fault, I felt bad b/c he was a grandpa buying it so his grandson could send him pictures). He didn't respond back, I'm sure b/c he knew it was his fault.

I had another person email me to say the carseat cover I sold didn't fit their carseat. I offered to take it back and sell the other carseat cover I had (more expensive, but fit my safeseat, so I figured it would fit their keyfit). They never emailed me back.

AJP
02-17-2011, 07:36 AM
One of our prongs broke off each of our straps and boon sent out replacement ones right away. I emailed them pics and they didn't ask for warrantee info/proof of purchase. I kind of thought i was too rough with them and it was my fault, but after seeing the new buckle I realized the ones that broke were too thin. Try emailing them.