PDA

View Full Version : how often do you buy a new mattress? (plus some ?s)

AnnieW625
02-16-2011, 03:49 PM
Our Spring Air pillow top (basic one, not overly plush) is 10 yrs. old and I am thinking that we should look at replacing it. I have been sleeping horribly the last couple of weeks, but DH hasn't complained. I prefer a firmer mattress and DH likes soft so I think that's why he doesn't care much about the bed being not as firm as it once was, and it wasn't all that firm to begin with.

If you have a Tempurpedic, which model did you have and how much did you pay for it?
--I am not 100% convinced I want one because people have complained about being hot in them and while I love being bundled up in blankets in my bed if I am the least bit hot I get very uncomfortable. Also does anyone have a Tempurpedic knock off (we have a local company that makes their own mattresses) and if so have you compared it to the original?

Does anyone have a Sleep Number bed?

SnuggleBuggles
02-16-2011, 03:51 PM
I have never felt hot w/ my Tempurpedic and I keep hearing that people have heard of that complaint. No one I know IRL with one has that problem.

My Tempurpedic is 12-13yo and it came with a 20y warranty. I plan to keep it at least that long or whenever it starts being really uncomfortable. So far, so good.

I got a super, duper employee discount for mine so it's price won't help (and will only make people feel bad :)).

Beth

Jacksmommy2b
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
We have a five year old sleep number that will be replaced on Saturday.

It was nice at first, but the foam lost it's fluff quickly so the firmer side would dip into the other side and you would end up rolling into it. We also had a bladder leak so that side had to be adjusted daily as it lost air.

We have hated it for at least 2 years but we both started having back pain, and DH started sleeping on the couch rather than deal with the bed. It feels like a plain air mattress.

When we bought our new bed the salesman said he heard a lot of people complain about them. He may have been feeding us a line, but I believe it. Ours was the 7000 series and around $2500 IIRc.

Please don't waste your money.

crl
02-16-2011, 05:27 PM
Well, we have been married nearly 15 years and are on our third mattress. The first was a hand me down from my parents and the military destroyed in in storage. Then we bought something or other from Sears and slept on it for about 7 or 8 years I guess. It was increasingly uncomfortable so when we made our most recent move we ditched it (posted it for free on CL).

This time we bought a latex mattress from Ikea. It is now just over three years old and very, very comfortable for us. We bought another for our guest bed and my parents commented that it is comfortable for them as well.

Catherine

kcimato
02-16-2011, 05:35 PM
Pillow top mattresses are known for getting lumpy very quickly. I just bought a latex mattress and love, love love it. I got mine online from www.sleepez.com. Go to their website and read up on the advantages of latex. If you call Shaun the owner is very helpful and can talk you through any of your questions.. I had my mattress in a week.The nice thing is that you can customize each side of the bed. Mine is a firm, medium and soft. DH and I each got the same. You can try out the feel of the latex at a regular mattress store if you are not familiar with them. I can't tell you how well I sleep at night. You don't feel the other person when they rool over or get up. Another place to get them is www.flobeds.com. Their site is also very informative and they too are reputable, although they are more expensive.

mezzona
02-16-2011, 05:44 PM
my tempurpedic is the classic and I've never felt hot sleeping in it. and I am usually one who feels hot all the time.

BabyBearsMom
02-16-2011, 05:49 PM
I just bought my Tempurpedic. I have a Cloud-Supreme, which is the middle of the road price wise. What I found in my research is that they cost the same EVERYWHERE (and I looked everywhere), so just go somewhere where they have the most extras. We got free delivery, free take away of old mattress, two free tempurpedic pillows and 24 month no interest financing.

I have to say that I just absolutely LOVE the bed. I haven't slept this well in years. It is so comfortable and I don't find it hot at all (I think that may have been an issue with the older versions). In my old bed, I woke up with a sore back most mornings, now I wake up every morning feeling loose and comfortable. In fact I don't want to get out of the bed. My only complaint is that at first, it had a really plasticky smell, but after a couple of days it aired out and is fine.

crazydiamond
02-16-2011, 05:56 PM
We bought a higher-end Vera Wang/Serta Mattress. It has a combination of springs on bottom, memory foam in middle, and regular foams on top. After 4 years it is starting to break down in places (the regular foam). Probably will try to stretch it out another 2-3 years.

Next time I will look for a simple "hybrid mattress" of just springs and latex or springs and memory foam - but no regular foams.

I do like the site http://www.us-mattress.com/ for its comfort ratings and information.

AnnieW625
02-16-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks everyone! The only people I have known to complain about the Tempurpedic have been from Southern California and so it's warm at night most of the time (and we don't have air conditioning so that's kind of concern, but not a huge one).

CRL, is this the Ikea mattress (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80110962) you got?

I am not convinced about the Sleep Number bed either so I am glad that someone isn't happy with it. It's one of those too good to be true things IMHO.

Thankfully we have a fair amount of mattress stores near us that carry Tempurpedic so we can try them out, and we have an Ikea too so we can go there and try it out. I do like the 90 day try out option with ordering direct from Tempurpedic too.

hillview
02-16-2011, 06:59 PM
We have a temperpedic knock off from about 8 years ago and LOVE it still. It isn't any hotter than other regular mattresses.

/hillary

crl
02-16-2011, 07:02 PM
I am pretty sure ikea has redone their mattress line since we bought. I remember that we got the second most expensive latex and chose it over the most expensive solely because it rolled up and so we could transport it ourselves, vs the most expensive which did not roll up.

Sorry I can't be more clear.

Catherine

elephantmeg
02-16-2011, 08:10 PM
we have a simmons beauty rest that we got 10 years ago and it still feels great. It was 1,000 maybe???

AngelaS
02-17-2011, 12:32 AM
We have a Sleep Number bed and absolutely LOVE it! DH likes a hard mattress and I like to sleep on something soft and squishy. So he has his set on like 70 and mine's at 35--it's like sleeping in a hammock. :) We LOVE love LOVE our bed! My chiropractor highly recommends them and has one himself. :)

Ours isn't a pillow top--it was about $2000 I think. :) Worth every.penny! :)

JElaineB
02-17-2011, 09:55 AM
We've had the Sleep Number for 6 years (ours is the 7000, one step down from the top of the line at the time.) We still love it. It took a while to get it adjusted to where I liked it, now I really never change it. DH is about a 70 and I am a 55.

catsnkid
02-17-2011, 10:30 AM
Do the Ikea mattresses come with a box spring? Or can you use the old one?

crl
02-17-2011, 10:36 AM
Do the Ikea mattresses come with a box spring? Or can you use the old one?

I believe you can purchase one separately at ikea. We have a platform bed though so I'm not positive.

Catherine

nellonello
02-17-2011, 11:22 AM
We also are Sleep Number fans. Our last mattress was a pillow top and my husband slept too hot. We have a King size and though we both thought we liked different amounts of firmness, we both have ours set to 70. Also I really like that when one of us moves around in bed that the whole bed doesn't move and the movement is just isolated to the one side.