PDA

View Full Version : Holy Hummus! Let's start a master hummus thread

amldaley
02-16-2011, 03:57 PM
So, it would seem many of us like hummus. Yummus! From Costco to Trader Joes to made-at-home in our own kitchens, we're full o' beans. From mild to spicy to sweet, there's all kinds of hummus treats!

What's your favorite? Where do you get it? What do you do with it?

I make a regular hummus at home every week and usually one other kind. I am current testing Morracan Hummus recipes with saffron, honey and a little spicey kick. YUMM. I recently mastered my own edamame and am playing a little with kidney beans and black beans, too!

We use it as a dip for raw veggies most nights with dinner. I use it as a spread on tortilla wraps. And I love blending it in to rice or quinoa on my plate.

Need sesame free? Try cashew butter instead of tahini.

Post your love stories, your questions, your recipes and confess your "Bean there, Ate that" here!

LMPC
02-16-2011, 05:21 PM
My favorite hummus out is from a place called Neomonde -- great little middle eastern restaurant. I could eat there every day! I am a hummus purist...so give me some hummus with chickpeas, oil, lemon, garlic, tahini, and a pinch of salt and I am good to go! I never can make it like I find it in restaurants...but I did have one guy in Ireland (of all places) tell me that the secret was to add water by adding ice. He said it helps to blend everything together and smooth it out. Of course, I haven't tried it.... I will be eagerly watching this thread for some yummy recipes!!!

alirebco
02-16-2011, 05:22 PM
I don't really eat hummus anymore because I'm legume free in my diet, but I love curry hummus that I make from scratch. Also the mediterranean one from TJs is really good.

boolady
02-16-2011, 05:33 PM
I love the Sabra pine nut and sundried tomato one from Costco and the roasted red pepper hummus from Wegmans. Other than that, when I make it at home, it's just a traditional tahini-style hummus. I do like pureed white bean dips with lots of lemon for a change, sometimes.

YouAreTheFocus
02-16-2011, 06:05 PM
The only store bought hummus we've found that we like is Sabra. Not a fan of TJ's hummuses (hummi?), IIRC they are too lemony for us. We also make the std tahini, garlic, etc recipe at home with whatever beans we have on hand.

amldaley
02-16-2011, 06:09 PM
I love the Sabra pine nut and sundried tomato one from Costco and the roasted red pepper hummus from Wegmans. Other than that, when I make it at home, it's just a traditional tahini-style hummus. I do like pureed white bean dips with lots of lemon for a change, sometimes.

ooohh...that sounds yummy! canned white beans? any specific kind? gotta try that!

amldaley
02-16-2011, 06:10 PM
I don't really eat hummus anymore because I'm legume free in my diet, but I love curry hummus that I make from scratch. Also the mediterranean one from TJs is really good.

Hmm...is your curried hummus legume free or am I misreading your post? What kind of curry are you using? The morrocan one I am trying is slightly curried. Are you talking Indian or Thai or African?

MichelleRC
02-16-2011, 07:44 PM
I love the Sabra lemon one. Yum.

boolady
02-16-2011, 08:51 PM
ooohh...that sounds yummy! canned white beans? any specific kind? gotta try that!

These are the two I often make. They're very similar, but the second calls for rosemary and sage. I usually have the rosemary, but not the sage, but it's fine without.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/white-bean-dip-with-pita-chips-recipe/index.html

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=10000001646350&adsqs=

m448
02-18-2011, 10:08 PM
I make the good eats hummus minus the peanut butter. His method of using some of the chickpea liquid to puree the garbanzos as well as a hefty dose of olive oil at the end make for a supremely loose and smooth authentic hummus that my kids love.

A friend of mine added pintos to hers and I think it's a wonderful addition as well.

BTW, I love Neomonde's as well. ;)

mikala
02-18-2011, 11:25 PM
This is one of my current favorites:

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/black-bean-hummus/Detail.aspx

Definitely taste as you go while seasoning it.

Uno-Mom
02-18-2011, 11:47 PM
America's Test Kitchen (aka Cook's Illustrated) reduced fat recipe.

SOOOOOOO yummy. Takes 10 minutes to make. I know it's lowfat but nobody believes me! It's our go to pot luck dish.

Mamma2004
02-22-2011, 06:02 PM

SOOOOOOO yummy. Takes 10 minutes to make. I know it's lowfat but nobody believes me! It's our go to pot luck dish.
:yeahthat:
I add lemon zest and more juice. In addition, since I don't love the imposing flavor of raw garlic, I pan roast my garlic beforehand. It makes for an amazing hummus - people always ask for the recipe. No one believes it's low fat.

***I often add a fistful of fresh parsley, too. Yummy!

liz
02-22-2011, 06:32 PM
Does anyone know a hummus recipe similar to Trader Joe's cilantro and jalapeno hummus?
I can't stop eating it and TJ's is a bit of trip for me. I would love to figure this recipe out. TIA!

elbenn
03-06-2011, 12:40 PM
I just bought the Fountain of Health hummus and it is sooo good. It might be the best store bought hummus I have tasted. I bought it at Kroger's. It has no preservatives (maybe this is typical for all hummus?) and it doesn't have that vinegary or too lemony taste of a lot of store bought hummus.

clc053103
03-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Can anyone post the ATK low fat hummus recipe, I can't find it on their site.

danagee
03-06-2011, 10:05 PM

would lOVE this recipe!