PDA

View Full Version : Why are toddler shoes so expensive!

HonoluluMom
02-16-2011, 05:51 PM
I just bought 3 pairs of shoes for DD (2 pediped Grip 'n' Go and 1 Flex - love pedipeds and I'm a sucker for the American Podiatric Society seal of approval) and spent $110! I know she's not going to be in them for a long time!

I know she needs shoes, but just thought I'd say aaaarrgghhh!

Snow mom
02-16-2011, 06:40 PM
It's worth watching for sales and buying ahead, especially since you live in a climate where I assume there are no particular shoe seasons. I buy pedipeds ahead for DD and average $15/pair. It makes it easier to stomach that she's still outgrowing her shoes every 2.5 months and possible for her to have several pairs in each size. I know some people don't like buying shoes ahead, but if you aren't dealing with seasons and you have a good grip on what brands work for your LO I think it's very worth it.

mom2baileys
02-16-2011, 06:58 PM
I've resisted buying any shoes yet as they do seem outrageously priced. Any other brands I should be on the look out for a good sale on other then pedipeds? DS is just about to crawl so I hopefully have a few months to buy shoes. Any recommendations for first walkers?

crl
02-16-2011, 07:07 PM
Until walking is well established I continue to use the soft leather soles. I like Robeez and Shoo Shoos of the ones I have tried. Once they are walking steadily and on their feet more outside, I like See Kai Runs a lot.

Lots of other brands I don't have any experience with though, and I'm sure many are good. There was a recent thread on this in the kids wear section, may even still be on the first page.

Catherine

MamaSnoo
02-16-2011, 09:46 PM
I also love SKR once they are ready to walk around outside on their own. Definitely keep eyes open for sales and buy ahead if you can. Zappos and shoes.com have good prices sometimes.

AnnieW625
02-17-2011, 02:05 PM
Until walking is well established I continue to use the soft leather soles. I like Robeez and Shoo Shoos of the ones I have tried. Once they are walking steadily and on their feet more outside, I like See Kai Runs a lot.

:yeahthat: We used Robeez with DD1, and so far have just used Mini Star (Bobux @ Target), and Pedipeds for DD2. I am tempted to try Shoo Shoos, but plan on going the See Kai Runs route with DD2 also. We didn't start Pedipeds Flex until DD2 was 2/1/2 and outgrowing See Kai Runs (they started running small once she hit a size 8). I might check out the Pedipeds Grip N Go too but those weren't available when DD1 was little so I can't comment on them; however prices on See Kai Runs tend to be a little better than Pedipeds (and then I find the best deals are on Pedipeds.com).

ABO Mama
02-17-2011, 02:49 PM
My kiddos have one pair of winter shoes and one pair of summer shoes.

jal
02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
My kiddos have one pair of winter shoes and one pair of summer shoes.

???

Our kids grow too fast to have shoes for different seasons (age 2 to 8). Except for hand-me-downs, our kids have one pair of shoes at a time. When they out grow them (well before they typically wear out) we buy more.

And because of some of the outragious prices, there shoes come from Target (most common for ages 2-5), WalMart, or clearance sales at shoe stores.

twowhat?
02-17-2011, 03:17 PM
You don't need to buy shoes until walking actually starts to happen - and then you can get away with Robeez for a while, even outdoors if it's not wet. SKR Smaller is great for new walkers, but I actually didn't like the regular SKRs - the squared-off rubber sole at the toe caused mine to trip - a lot.

Our girls' favorite shoes are mary janes from Kohls (their house brand Jumping Beans) which have a reasonably flexible sole and can be had for less than $5/pair on sale. They pick those over their SR sneakers nearly every day.

They also LOVE their Lands End action sandals.

♥ms.pacman♥
02-17-2011, 04:06 PM
i hear ya. so far DS has only pair of "real" shoes (Stride Rite sneakers) that we got him for his first birthday. up until then we've been using the Hanna mocs / Ministar (robeez knockoff). thing is DS was an early walker and it was wintertime (slush/snow outside) so we HAD to give in and buy him at least one pair of "real" (non-soft leather sole) shoes for when we went out.

so far we love the Stride Rites. We got them at an outlet, and they were still on the pricey side (regular price $55, we got them for $30). though they seem pretty good quality and he walks pretty well in them. bc of the price though i won't buy another pair of shoes until he starts to outgrow these.

also, i havent' tried them yet but i hear many like Crocs for their toddlers. there was a link in the Bargains section a few days ago to some Crocs for a really good price ($8 shipped). they had toddler sizes so i snagged a few (am anxious to get my shipment) and i hope DS can wear these in the next few months as well once it starts to warm up.