PDA

View Full Version : WWYD: Gave a Borders gift card....

alien_host
02-16-2011, 06:01 PM
I have our DN a Border's gift card for her birthday about 5 months ago. Since I had heard rumors about them filing for Ch. 11, I reminded SIL that if they hadn't spent it that they should soon. That was two weeks ago but I bet they haven't used it.

Should I offer to replace it with cash/different gift card and ask them to give it back to me? I'd feel bad if they "wasted" it b/c they didn't get to spend it etc.

I don't really want the hassle of having to unload it but I feel badly that they may not use it in time (their closest Borders is closing).

Do I do something or just let it ride?

minnie-zb
02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
No, you don't need to replace the gift. They've had ample time to use the card and you gave them a reminder. The ball is in their court, they are adults.

I wanted to add, I think it will cause bad feelings if you offer to switch the card -- you are telling them they are incompetent and can't manage a gift card on their own -- at least that is how I would feel.

JElaineB
02-16-2011, 06:03 PM
I would let it go. It is up to them to use it, they've had 5 months.

rlu
02-16-2011, 06:06 PM
It's on them. The stores aren't closing tomorrow and besides, online is still a choice.

eta: link to news article - Borders is planning to honor gift cards. Stores around me are having sales this weekend and will close over the next couple of weeks.

http://www.mercurynews.com/top-stories/ci_17401490?nclick_check=1

HonoluluMom
02-16-2011, 06:07 PM
I would let it go. It is up to them to use it, they've had 5 months.

:yeahthat:

edurnemk
02-16-2011, 06:08 PM
No, you don't need to replace the gift. They've had ample time to use the card and you gave them a reminder. The ball is in their court, they are adults.

:yeahthat:

k_null81
02-16-2011, 06:13 PM
I know this is a little off topic but I ordered from Borders in the beginning of January and have only received 2 of the 5 books I ordered. When I placed the order it did say some were on back order but for like 2 weeks...my husband called yesterday to follow up and they said it would be a couple more weeks...I'm afarid we won't see those books and we had used a Borders gift card my brother gave the twins for Christmas.

Not sure if the delay has anything to do with their current situation or not though.

alien_host
02-16-2011, 07:05 PM
I wanted to add, I think it will cause bad feelings if you offer to switch the card -- you are telling them they are incompetent and can't manage a gift card on their own -- at least that is how I would feel.

Bold - I never would have thought of this, thanks for mentioning it. I mentioned the potential bankruptcy since I knew that at Christmas-time she said she hadn't had a chance to take DN to Borders.

Honestly the only reason I even thought of intervening is b/c I feel bad that it hasn't gotten used and that if they wait longer it may be more difficult to use. I thought it would take the pressure off, but you guys are right. Thanks!

llama8
02-16-2011, 07:42 PM
They had enough time to use it. It is their problem now, not yours.

bigpassport
02-16-2011, 08:02 PM
You are very kind to be so worried about it. But it was 5 months ago and you gave SIL a heads up that it needs to be used. It's on them if it becomes worthless.

SnuggleBuggles
02-16-2011, 08:04 PM
It's not like the stores are shutting down tomorrow, right? They still have time. You might want to just alert them to the closing.

Beth

boolady
02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
They could also order things online, which is not shutting down. There are often free shipping codes floating around.

DrSally
02-16-2011, 08:40 PM
I agree with pp's that you've reminded them, and now it's on them to use it. Some people aren't good about using their giftcards, and that's how companies make $$ off of them. My mom had a $200 gift card that's over 2 years old. I just imagine that either it's lost a lot of value or maybe not even good anymore. They could totally order online. I think it's free ship over $25.

To pp who hasn't received her books, I would cancel the order and get something else that's in stock (like a toy or something). I think Border's hasn't been paying their vendors, so I wonder if the vendor is holding the book pending payment from Borders (which isn't going to happen ), KWIM? If it's been that long, you should have the right to cancel the order.

purpleeyes
02-16-2011, 09:19 PM
I have two gift cards from xmas to use!! Thanks for the heads up. ;-)

Here's a list of the stores that are closing:
http://media.bordersstores.com/pdf/Borders_Reorganization_Closure_List.pdf

candaceb
02-16-2011, 10:22 PM
I just got an email from the Borders CEO (addressed to Borders Rewards members) indicating that they are honoring gift cards, so no worries in the immediate future.

Here's a web site he linked to for more information:
http://www.bordersreorganization.com/?cmpid=SA_20110216

vonfirmath
02-17-2011, 10:27 AM
They may also have lost the gift card and your pushing it would just embarass them

My sister's lost more than one gift card in the past.

minnie-zb
02-17-2011, 10:32 AM
Bold - I never would have thought of this, thanks for mentioning it. I mentioned the potential bankruptcy since I knew that at Christmas-time she said she hadn't had a chance to take DN to Borders.

Honestly the only reason I even thought of intervening is b/c I feel bad that it hasn't gotten used and that if they wait longer it may be more difficult to use. I thought it would take the pressure off, but you guys are right. Thanks!

I hope I didn't come off as snarky, that wasn't my intent -- it seems a little harsh in the morning light. I think you hit a nerve for me.

alien_host
02-19-2011, 12:38 PM
I hope I didn't come off as snarky, that wasn't my intent -- it seems a little harsh in the morning light. I think you hit a nerve for me.

Nah don't worry about it, seriously I hadn't considered your points and I think it was good you mentioned it.

I'm seeing SIL this weekend but I might not say anything.

I realize they aren't completely going out of business tomorrow but it will be harder to find stores to use the gift card. I forgot about on-line, I might mention it to SIL to place an online order since that might be easier for them. I need to drop it really, I just feel bad that apparently I gave a "bust" of a gift.