PDA

View Full Version : dilemna, need reality check and advice

HIU8
02-16-2011, 09:50 PM
Ok, DS is in a school now where the re-up contract is due March 1st with a $750 deposit. New school we are applying to says it informs folks on March 4th. We are not rich. DS is in private b/c it's the best thing for him (small class sizes, specialized program etc....). We are definitely a financial aide family. Anyway, we do not have the $750 to just lose. I'm going to talk to the school tomorrow about extending the date (we also don't have $750 to give to the school anyway right now). I personally do not think this conversation will go over well. If he doesn't get into new school we either keep him at old school or go public (not sure public is an option for DS next year, so he would likely stay at current school). However, how bad is it if we give them a post dated check on their March 1st due date? Can they deposit prior to the date on the check? Is what I'm considering bad or immoral to do?

Also, how bad is it to call new school and fill them in on the issue (I'm very sure they are aware of it in general). I get the feeling we will be told to bad also. I'm open to any suggestions for a solution that can work for us.

happymomma
02-16-2011, 10:03 PM
From what I know, I think that the school can deposit the check even if it is before the date of the date. Sometimes the clerks just don't look at the date. So you might still be out the money if you post date the check. I would speak with the old school about possibly extending your deposit date requirements. I think if it's a few days it shouldn't matter. Good luck! I know it's hard. We had to do that with DS' preschool deposit. We ended up losing one month's preschool tuition because we switched schools. But the new preschool was so much cheaper that even with the $800 loss, we still saved money from going to the new school. It was the best decision we made because DS also loved the new school.

JustMe
02-16-2011, 10:05 PM
Seems like it wouldnt hurt to ask the new school. I agree they might just say too bad, but you never know.

What if you just told the current school you were waiting for some money to transfer into your account and needed to wait a few days? Would they go for that?

HIU8
02-16-2011, 10:10 PM
No matter what I have to say that. b/c we have to borrow the $$ right now anyway.

ECMom
02-16-2011, 10:17 PM
I would call the new school, explain the situation, tell them you prefer their school (I assume u do) and ask if you could get an early decision date.

HannaAddict
02-17-2011, 12:44 AM
The situation you are in is no fun. I'm sorry. But legally, they can deposit or cash the check. Post-dating is a myth and does nothing to preserve your rights under the laws of commercial paper. If your school has any sort of wait list at all, I think it is unlikely that they will give you more time when you are applying to another school. It is not fair to the school, being possibly left a student short, when denying another family a spot. And not fair to other families, also on financial aid, who have to make a decision on what to do and pay up by a certain date. In our area, the private schools are all governed by an association that requires they all have the same application date, deposit date and date they notify families about admissions. They are required to do this to be accredited by the association and it keeps the playing field level and fair to all involved. I wouldn't be surprised if your school i s part of that sort of association. Admissions decisions are a big deal and very formalized here, it felt like applying to law school all over again, only with more essays in some cases!

If the new school is just considering you on a "one off" basis though - in that they will only offer a spot if one opens or something versus being part of a group of kids being considered when filling a class (as in kindy year or third grade here where some schools add more kids), you might be able to find out earlier. I sympathize but don't think there is much you can do. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask, but I wouldn't count on an extension nor would I expect one. Is the new school that great or so much better that you are sure you want to move from the old school? Good luck.

(My take is based on our experiences. In our city, private school apps are up and have been at record levels since my child's kindergarten year. It is insane. They limit the number of applicants at 300 for 32 total kindergarten spots (including sibling preference, etc.). Another school we looked at only had three spots for boys without older siblings in their class and 60+ boy applicants. It is crazy, there is a baby boom in our city and uncertainty in public schools and dislike of the new superintendent fueling it. And with such high demand, the deadlines are firm.)