PDA

View Full Version : reading/book suggestions (again...sorry)

lmh2402
02-17-2011, 10:20 AM
i feel like there were a lot of these recently, but my quick search turned up way too many unrelated posts to sort through and i'm hoping to do some fast shopping today

we're going away for a few days and i really want to READ. books not related to child-rearing.

any suggestions? my last book was The Help. Really enjoyed it!

(would prefer softcover - easier to pack. i'm already going to be reading Freedom which seems to only be in hardcover for my new book group)

hannah
02-17-2011, 10:58 AM
I just finished The girl with the dragon tatoo. I liked it and usually I don't read mystery type books. I am looking forward to reading the next 2 in the series.

KHF
02-17-2011, 11:19 AM
I used a suggestion by some posters here and got the Mercy Thompson series by Patricia Briggs. LOVE it. I'm on book 5 now (I read the first four in about a week and a half). I can't wait for book 6.

I just finished all the Sookie Stackhouse books before that and was looking for more supernatural type books. The Mercy books are really great...not as "romancey" as the Sookie books.

Kymberley
02-17-2011, 11:23 AM
I started the Outlander series because of recommendations from here, and I love them! I'm on book 4 I think.

momm
02-17-2011, 11:45 AM
I just read "The red thread" by Ann Hood - I loved it! So much that I looked up all her old books and am going through them one by one.
it's about an America lady who runs an adoption agency that works with a Chinese orphanage. I recommend it highly!

zag95
02-17-2011, 11:51 AM
Just have read a couple of books for my book club-

Those who Save us (WWII Nazi concentration camp story-flashbacks, with modern day times as well)- very good

Plain Truth- by Jodi Picault (story about an Amish girl who births a child who dies on the farm, and the legal case behind it- pretty good!!)