PDA

View Full Version : Is a scoot bike worth it vs. pedal removal?

robinsmommy
02-17-2011, 02:39 PM
So, I've heard two streams of thought on this - one is to buy a scoot bike, then go for the real thing.

The other is to buy a real bike, remove pedals, let them scoot on it and learn balance and then put the pedals back.

I'm pretty sure that DD2 would learn biking pretty quickly, she tends to be more fearless and physical than 8 yr old DD1 (who will be learning at the same time - for years we were in a rental with no bike storage in a coastal climate - salt air eats bikes in a few months).

It sure seems cheaper to buy just the one....????

crl
02-17-2011, 03:02 PM
We were going to take the pedals off ds's bike, but found out that it was virtually impossible. Dh could not get them off and the bike shop basically said hey are not meant to come off and did not want to try. Since I have seen others suggest it here, I assume this must vary by bike?

I have no other helpful thoughts, just wanted to share that.

Catherine

vonfirmath
02-17-2011, 03:53 PM
A kid does not fit the same size of bike in a balance bike (where they have to be able to reach the ground with their feet to make themselves mobile) and a traditional bike -- where they need to be able to comfortably get their feet OFF the ground

balance bikes also tend to be lighter, and thus lighter to move around with the feet.

But, it might make sense in a situation as you mention where it will not be used that way for long.

My son has used his balance bike for almost 2 years now and I estimate he has another year before he fits the bike his other grandfather bought him :(

brittone2
02-17-2011, 03:59 PM
Your situation is kind of different. Trek float is expensive but you can add/remove pedals.

We bought a balance bike for DS1 when he was 3 and he used it for 2 years. He could have moved to a regular 2 wheeled pedal bike sooner but the one we had was still too big until he was 5. He was happy on the balance bike so we just let him go until he grew into the pedal bike. He did great. DD started riding the same balance bike around 2.5 I'd say, and right around 3.5 moved to a handmedown pedal bike from my niece. It was totally crazy to see her zooming around on a pedal bike at that age LOL.

The balance bike is still in great shape and will be handed down to DS2 now, (through 3 kids) so I don't regret it at all.

kristac
02-17-2011, 05:55 PM
playskool makes a glide to ride bike that does both.

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2011, 06:06 PM
I think you have to have a special spendy pedal tool to remove them, but maybe you can't do it on cheaper non-bike store type brands...
We went the balance bike route, then we also got a free cheapy one and had the shop remove the pedals ($25) permanently. It was a 12" which is higher than our Hotwalk balance bike.

I think getting a good fit is important, whatever the case. Feet need to be flat on the ground to learn how to balance, IME.

crl
02-17-2011, 06:09 PM
FYI, the bike that we could not get the pedals off of and that the bike shop said they were not meant to come off and did not want to try was a trek bike, purchased at a (different) bike shop.

Catherine

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-17-2011, 06:37 PM
We have a trek bike and we have taken off and put back on the pedals. It's a Jet. We purchased at a bike shop and the salesperson said he did the taking off the pedal thing for his children.

That said, I think it was really too big for DS to use properly as a balance bike and he hasn't been that interested in it (in 2-1/2 years :p). We're planning on getting a Skuut for DS2's 3rd birthday and we hope that will get DS1 more interested in biking.

DS2 is more into these types of things so perhaps he will ride a bike (without training wheels) first!

robinsmommy
02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
I guess I should add that DD2 is a petite 4 yr old. If I was buying for DD1, I'd probably get the balance bike if I knew I'd be handing it down. But the girls have no cousins, so handing down is less relevant.

I'll ask again at the bike shop, but is seems that getting a bike (if there is one small enough!) that she can use as a balance bike now and then get the seat raised when we add pedals would be the best for us. If it's heavy and slows her down, it might not be a bad thing....

I do note that I learned to ride w/o training wheels at 6, and my sister, who was several years older had hers off at the same time. It's one of the ways that I see the difference in highly-parented first kids vs. the wild seconds.....and really not that uncommon, for the first two sibs to learn bike riding together, or almost so.

crl
02-17-2011, 08:12 PM
I

I do note that I learned to ride w/o training wheels at 6, and my sister, who was several years older had hers off at the same time. It's one of the ways that I see the difference in highly-parented first kids vs. the wild seconds.....and really not that uncommon, for the first two sibs to learn bike riding together, or almost so.

Not true for my older brother and me! He had his off at 4 and I didn't get mine off until I was 6. I'm just way more cautious, or at least I was as a child.

Catherine