PDA

View Full Version : I hate the big girl bed!!!

GvilleGirl
02-17-2011, 03:40 PM
I know it is probably my fault for trying to transition her when she is ready, but I needed the crib for #2. She actually is great at night and doesn't get out. But naps suck! I've lost count of the number of times I have put her back in her bed today.

Everything is out of her room except the bed, dresser, and glider. I have tried putting on the gate and just letting her tire herself out, but that ends up with all the clothes on the floor and her asleep anywhere but the bed. I wouldn't mind that but how long does it take before she actually sleeps in the bed for a nap? Please tell me we aren't loosing a nap at 22m!

I wish there was something that could make her stay in her bed. I have thought about elevating the bed, but she is a climber and would just scale it! Part of my crabbiness is the fact that we are all sick and with a 3 month old I am not getting any sleep. But I don't think she took a nap yesterday and I know she was up at 4am as I heard her when I was feeding. I want to sit down too!

scriptkitten
02-17-2011, 03:46 PM
honestly, i'd probably buy a cheap crib somewhere. i couldn't live with a 22m old who wasn't napping. i'd go insane.

i'm sorry you are going through this.

ray7694
02-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Exactly why my 3 yo is still in her crib. Dreading it.

jgenie
02-17-2011, 03:49 PM
honestly, i'd probably buy a cheap crib somewhere. i couldn't live with a 22m old who wasn't napping. i'd go insane.

:yeahthat: Having DS1 in a crib when DS2 was born was the only thing that kept me sane.

arivecchi
02-17-2011, 03:51 PM
honestly, i'd probably buy a cheap crib somewhere. i couldn't live with a 22m old who wasn't napping. i'd go insane. :yeahthat:

I have a 24 mo and I cannot imagine him not being in his crib - he is still a baby! :)

TwinFoxes
02-17-2011, 05:01 PM

32 months and in their crib. I know it will be nothing but trouble once they're out.

If you can't get another crib, have you tried the mattress on the floor without a bed?

elektra
02-17-2011, 05:52 PM
I would get a crib too!

It's like one fancy dinner out. Or a new pair of shoes. Pass on either of those and get the crib!

We actually have an IKEA crib for DS because there was no way I wanted to deal with a bed for DD when I had to care for newborn DS. DS is now 21 months and I also can't imagine him out of his crib.

ETA- my original recommendation would have been for an IKEA Sniglar crib (the cheapest) but Annie just posted that they have been recalled.
I would still look at the next level up in IKEA cribs. Still under $100.

lowrioh
02-17-2011, 05:57 PM
Another vote for getting another crib..or put the younger child in a PnP until the older one is really ready for the big girl bed.
ETA you can get several cribs for around $90
http://www.babyage.com/cribs-and-baby-furniture/stork-craft-lauren-fixed-side-crib-79592.htm

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2011, 06:01 PM
Also suggesting a 2nd crib. You'll really want it! Ds2 has only napped a handful of times since he moved to a bed unless I am driving around!

Beth

veronica
02-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Exactly why my 3 yo is still in her crib. Dreading it.

my 3.5 YO DS is still in his and DD was in hers until 4. We have started to talk to DS about getting a bed and he freaks and want to stay in the crib. We need that crib for one of the twins!!! Hopefully, during the summer, he will get on board with us. he will be 4 then!

To OP: can she nap elsewhere? When DD got her big girl bed this year, at age 5, DS wanted to nap there. Now, I can still get them both to nap, but DS sleeps in my bed. I don't care where, as long as they nap! Sometimes the novelty of trying a new spot can work out!

or lay a sleeping bag in her crib and she can pretend she is camping!

AnnieW625
02-17-2011, 06:30 PM
DD1 decided that she was done with the crib at 27 mos. old totally out of the blue, but had I had infant I would've bought another crib for her and a crib tent because I think she would've been worse with a newborn around.

The first two weeks for naps were really hard, but it got progressively easier and by 2/1/2 yrs. old she was a pro at napping in her bed.

FWIW, Ikea has only recalled Singlar cribs that were made between 2005 or 2006 through June, 2010 so the newest ones should be okay. Also I would give the baby the new crib for the time being and put your DD back in her own crib so she doesn't feel like everything is being taken away from her.

ShanaMama
02-18-2011, 12:44 AM
:yeahthat:

I have a 24 mo and I cannot imagine him not being in his crib - he is still a baby! :)

Yup, my 2.5 yo is still in a crib. When I ask her if she wants to make on the toilet or something equally grown up she tells me she's 'little'. Apparently she wants to stay that way. Fine by me. :love-retry:

scrooks
02-18-2011, 09:27 AM
You are brave for trying...my 3.5 yo is still in her crib!!!! Buying a second crib for DS was the best money I ever spent!
Now the problem is getting her out of the crib...she loves it....

kijip
02-18-2011, 09:33 AM
Another vote for buying a second crib. My 2 year old is still in his crib and let's just say he naps soooooo much better than his exact same age cousin whose parents decided it was time for her to be in a big girl bed. She napped just fine and they took away the crib and declared that she was no longer napping the next day. Whenever she is over here and is put in a crib, she naps.

MoJo
02-18-2011, 09:39 AM
Before you buy another crib, you might try putting her in the one you have to see if she naps.

Mine started climbing out at or just before that age. . . so I ended up not getting a second crib.

GvilleGirl
02-18-2011, 03:52 PM
After about an hour and a half I ended up putting her in the crib as DS was sleeping in the swing. She did take a nap but then took forever to fall asleep last night. Today I tried again and she feel asleep within 20 min. although on the floor. Fine with me! I think the difference was that we were outside playing today and running around. The reason (besides baby#2) I didn't want to buy another crib is that she was already starting to attempt to climb out - and she is a fearless climber. I think I will just put #2 in the PnP and her in the crib if I continue to have problems for now.

DietCokeLover
02-18-2011, 04:11 PM
After about an hour and a half I ended up putting her in the crib as DS was sleeping in the swing. She did take a nap but then took forever to fall asleep last night. Today I tried again and she feel asleep within 20 min. although on the floor. Fine with me! I think the difference was that we were outside playing today and running around. The reason (besides baby#2) I didn't want to buy another crib is that she was already starting to attempt to climb out - and she is a fearless climber. I think I will just put #2 in the PnP and her in the crib if I continue to have problems for now.

Crib tents saved my life! Both of my DC started climbing out of their cribs at 15 mos each. But, with crib tents, DD stayed in her crib til 3.5 years old and DS til 2.5 years. As soon as they were out of the tents/ cribs the naps stopped.

citymama
02-18-2011, 04:15 PM
I kept DD1 in her crib with the sides up till 3.5. I feel your pain!