PDA

View Full Version : Do you take your AT strollers to the mall?

KLD313
02-17-2011, 06:07 PM
I was at the mall today I can't help but check out the strollers. I saw 3 or 4 AT strollers and they were so big and wide and it got me wondering if they're hard to manage while shopping. I have a Bee minus but haven't used it yet and I thought it would be my one and only stroller. Now I'm thinking I could see having an AT and a light umbrella somewhere down the road too, but IDK why I want an AT. When do you use an AT stroller?

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2011, 06:09 PM
I use an AT almost all the time. It has been everywhere except on the bus. Granted, it is overkill sometimes, but when we need a double (dr.'s office) we need it.

golightly1118
02-17-2011, 06:26 PM
So far I've just used my AT in outdoor settings (parks, sidewalks). However, I can see using it at the zoo this summer, regardless of the size-it's the cushiest ride for DD outdoors, and the zoo would be an all day thing if we're going to go, never mind the crowds-I want a stroller my kid will be comfortable in for an all-day field trip. I don't think I'd use it at the mall unless I was there before opening hours just to walk-I can't see it being that practical for actual shopping, but if you're just walking and the mall isn't packed, why not?

arivecchi
02-17-2011, 06:31 PM
I have used my Mountain Buggy Swift at malls, fast food joints, trains, buses, office buildings, movie theaters, you name it! Granted, it is a very narrow AT.

I use the Mountain Buggy Terrain around the neighborhood (walks, park), when it snows (need the large tires) and in the countryside (when we visit the ILs).

KLD313
02-17-2011, 06:49 PM
I have used my Mountain Buggy Swift at malls, fast food joints, trains, buses, office buildings, movie theaters, you name it! Granted, it is a very narrow AT.

I would too if I had one! I want one but can't justify it, or can I?

crl
02-17-2011, 06:53 PM
I go to the mall very, very infrequently. When I do, I take my umbrella stroller.

I use my air tire strollers on neighborhood walks, to the near by city market, to the children's museum, to the YMCA pool, to the post office, to the library, and so on. I live in a city and it is my everyday stroller. I have a Bumbleride Indie, which is fairly small for an air tire stroller.

Basically, if I am driving and the stroller will be used indoors, I take the umbrella. If I am driving and the stroller will be used outdoors, I take the air tire. And if I am walking, no matter the destination, I take the air tire stroller.

Catherine

artvandalay
02-17-2011, 06:57 PM
I couldn't imagine maneuvering around clothes racks in a store with a big AT stroller with air tires. In some stores it's a really tight fit even with my smaller stroller.

crl
02-17-2011, 07:04 PM
I couldn't imagine maneuvering around clothes racks in a store with a big AT stroller with air tires. In some stores it's a really tight fit even with my smaller stroller.

Just curious though, what is your smaller stroller? Because I think a lot of people use things like BJCMs for mall strollers and the footprint on those isn't any small than a Swift or Indie. So, maybe it depends on which AT stroller you are talking about.

Catherine

arivecchi
02-17-2011, 07:05 PM
I would too if I had one! I want one but can't justify it, or can I?
Just say the word and we will find you a deal!

bubbaray
02-17-2011, 07:13 PM
I have taken an AT stroller to the mall, particularly while travelling. If I was at home and going out to the mall, then no, I would pick a smaller one from the "stable".

artvandalay
02-17-2011, 07:18 PM
Just curious though, what is your smaller stroller? Because I think a lot of people use things like BJCMs for mall strollers and the footprint on those isn't any small than a Swift or Indie. So, maybe it depends on which AT stroller you are talking about.

Catherine

Right now I am using a BJCM but there are times when i'm in a store and i'm trying to get around some of the clothes racks, and it's tight, and I knock into things. I'm thinking about getting an umbrella stroller for exactly these types of situations.

ETA: I also use my Beco for shopping, which works really well but I tend not to use it in the winter when we are wearing heavier clothes/have coats to deal with

scriptkitten
02-17-2011, 09:15 PM
I only have ATs. A Bob Duallie and Phil & Teds Vibe

The only place I don't take the BOB is on the bus. I ram it into every aisle. I'm an urban menace with a shopping habit :)

MontrealMum
02-17-2011, 09:18 PM
I have, but it's not my first choice. Usually, like Melissa, I do it while travelling. Normally I use our Mac when I need something at the mall or even shopping in our neighborhood. I will say, though, that you can hang a heck of a lot of clothing off a BOB :D

blondflava
02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
I use my air tire strollers on neighborhood walks, to the near by city market, to the children's museum, to the YMCA pool, to the post office, to the library, and so on. I live in a city and it is my everyday stroller. I have a Bumbleride Indie, which is fairly small for an air tire stroller.

I have an Indie which is really no wider than BJCM.. But find the BJCM cumbersome in indoor places, I keep bumping into stuff, however, I used the Indie as my one and only for a while.
I use my AT for walks around the neighborhood, with the dog, one handed push is very important to me! I try to walk to some places as I live in a bustling suburb of a major city but it's tough at the library (I usually just leave the stroller downstairs and haul DD up and then she walks), it's great for occassional shopping though (basket is spacious). I didn't like taking it to the zoo and such, hate the fold on that thing.... The childrens museums don't allow strollers (the ones I went to) and it kind of beats the purpose IMO, I want my DD to run around and get tired LOL. I really didn't mind taking the Questt to the zoo, but we only went for a couple hours at a time, when we go this summer, I want to go for the whole day (big zoo) but will most probably take BJCM!

roseyloxs
02-17-2011, 10:14 PM
I'm an urban menace with a shopping habit :)

:rotflmao:

I use my indie twin around the neighborhoods and rarely go to the mall and when I do its usually just to use the play area because its been raining for a week. However on the rare occasion I want to shop at a B&M store I take a smaller stroller like my topaz or bee. Although I find the bee to still be too big(or should I say long) for most places.

When I owned an indie single I used it everywhere inside and out even for air travel.

Multimama
02-17-2011, 10:20 PM
Sometimes I take my AT to the mall. It just depends how much walking we'll be doing with the rest of our day. I also take my BJCE on the bus fairly often! :)

purpelina
02-17-2011, 10:23 PM
I also take my BJCE on the bus fairly often! :)

Wow! How do you do it? Throw everyone else off the bus?.. JK
You are my hero:wavey:

sweetsoul99
02-17-2011, 10:24 PM
I prefer my umbrella for the mall, double wide at for any outdoor use.

KLD313
02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
Although I find the bee to still be too big(or should I say long) for most places..

I was thinking the same thing about the bee even though I haven't used it yet. It does look super long when I look at it sitting in the corner of my living room. I hope I didn't make a mistake in getting it. I'm going to Ikea tmrw and I'm bringing it because my only other option is the snap n go and I don't want her in the carseat for that long so we'll see how it goes.

jgenie
02-17-2011, 10:54 PM
I've been shopping with my Indie Twin for the last 7 months or so. It's big but both DC are cozy so much more willing to let me shop. I even take it into the Hallmark store. If stores are ADA compliant we fit just fine.

Annyeb
02-17-2011, 11:18 PM
My only double has been a MB Urban so that's what I've used at the mall the past 8 years I've needed a double. Now I rarely go and if I do, normally I can get by without a double and use my Volo or Zapp. My youngest two are 4 & 2 now so only need the double for walks or longer day trips now, although with adding another, I'm looking at adding another double.

sweetsue98
02-17-2011, 11:24 PM
Sometimes I take my AT to the mall. It just depends how much walking we'll be doing with the rest of our day. I also take my BJCE on the bus fairly often! :)

I admire all you ladies that take your stollers on the bus. I'm a wreck with a kid and a stoller.....can't imagine what I would be like on a bus!

I typically use my AT outdoors(running, walks) and umbrella indoors(mall, drs office). Took my AT shopping once and was mortified when I knocked over a rack.

ahrimie
02-17-2011, 11:25 PM
I see BOBs at our mall. Minus Gymbo and some parts of the Gap, you could steer it everywhere else there. I know a Bug Cam isn't an AT stroller but as big as it is, I used to take it to the mall all the time when it was our one and only. It's a plush ride for DD and a nice push for me, so I can see why someone would take an AT. Plus, you can pile all of your goodies (shopping bags)!!

golightly1118
02-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Strollers at our mall tend to fall into three camps-huge AT's (the Jeep ones and Bobs are the most popular), Snap n Go's/travel systems (I live in Gracoland), and Maclarens. I never see too many 'mid-size' strollers, although that's what I use-I've tried shopping with my Triumph, and DD isn't comfortable enough, plus there just isn't enough room for everything. And it always makes me cringe when I see older babies and even toddlers stuffed into a carseat/Snap n Go at the mall.

scriptkitten
02-18-2011, 12:03 AM

I take the p&t on the bus. The bjce isn't that much bigger!

And those graco travel systems are always on the bus taking up just as much space for only 1 child!

I find myself wondering if the new mb duet would work on the bus :)?

Multimama
02-18-2011, 12:55 AM

It folds, you know. :) I usually do fold it, but DH can get it down the aisle if the bus has a place to park strollers. I do wish we had a skinnier AT though.

blondflava
02-18-2011, 09:04 AM
I hate how you have to fold the stroller before getting on the bus, if I had to take bus places, I'd probably get an infant/toddler carrier, just to free up my hands!
In some citites in Europe, city buses are completely different, way more standing room as opposed to the 2 rows of seats and narrow walkway here and people just carry in/roll strollers onto buses! Soooo convenient.
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5020/5455449005_a17e37e4f0.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25479211@N06/5455449005/) autobus (http://www.flickr.com/photos/25479211@N06/5455449005/) by vanilla fields (http://www.flickr.com/people/25479211@N06/), on Flickr

mom2khj
02-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I just got my first AT, but I don't plan on using it at places like malls, even though I went with the Swift which is pretty narrow. I have an Inglesina Trip from DD2 that I can use for those times when I need to take one indoors.

Multimama
02-18-2011, 12:04 PM
I hate how you have to fold the stroller before getting on the bus, if I had to take bus places, I'd probably get an infant/toddler carrier, just to free up my hands!
In some citites in Europe, city buses are completely different, way more standing room as opposed to the 2 rows of seats and narrow walkway here and people just carry in/roll strollers onto buses! Soooo convenient.

But that pic is very deceiving! There are no people on that bus. :) European buses have lots of standing room because they are very crowded. It is much easier to get my stroller on US buses than it would be to get it on the bus in the places I lived in Europe because at least where I live the buses are much, much, much less crowded.

AnnieW625
02-18-2011, 01:23 PM
I have taken my Vista to the mall and it's done fine. I think I actually prefer it for that and DD2 loves it and the size of the basket helps too. I did take my Duallie to a predominately outdoor mall and it did fine. I would only take it to an indoor mall if for some reason I had to have both girls with me and it was crowded. If it's just me and DD1 and the mall is crowded then she goes in the Techno; if it's not crowded baby either goes in the Vista or the Techno and DD1 walks next to me.

salsah
02-19-2011, 02:16 AM
I haven't because i have other options, but i wouldn't be opposed to it. the largest stroller i've taken to the mall was the bjcmd which is about the same size my mbud (which is actually a hair narrower!) and it was fine.

completely unrelated, but you reminded me of the time i saw a woman with a mbud at the mall. she had a seat in one side and a bassinet on the other side. i was in awe. this was years ago when the nicest strollers in our area were pegs and macs. it was the first time i had seen a mb, hadn't even heard of them before that.

ckelly
02-19-2011, 10:01 AM
For the first year all I had was the indie and we used it just fine in the mall. Except in gymboree...seriously, who designed that store?!? Now I use my dazzle..

scriptkitten
02-19-2011, 10:07 AM

here in boston you can just roll strollers on to the bus… however i've never tried it during rush hour. i've never seen anyone fold up a stroller.

i just pull the stroller into one of the wheelchair access areas and put the brake on.

Multimama
02-19-2011, 12:04 PM
here in boston you can just roll strollers on to the bus… however i've never tried it during rush hour. i've never seen anyone fold up a stroller.

i just pull the stroller into one of the wheelchair access areas and put the brake on.

Where I live only some buses have a stroller space. If the bus doesn't have a stroller space, you have to fold the stroller. Even if the bus is completely empty, you still have to fold it and get it out of the aisle. It's a pain, but I understand why they do it.

hellokitty
02-19-2011, 12:09 PM
When my older two kids were younger, yeah my P&T was my primary stroller. Now I use my P&T as a single for stroller class (indoors at the mall in the winter) and outdoor stuff. However, usually I will use my mac as a mall crawler at times. The bigger basket in the P&T though is helpful in the winter when we have tons of coats, plus my mac can't get through some of the parking lots in the winter time, so then I use my P&T.

crl
02-19-2011, 09:53 PM
Well, guess what? We took the indie to the mall today! I was all set to take the Cybex Onyx and dh said, let's just take this one, meaning the indie.

I was glad for the basket and even gladder for the canopy because it is raining and we had to get from the parking garage into the mall and from the mall over to Old Navy. Between the big Indie canopy and the Sammy sack, dd was nice and dry without me having to mess around with a rain cover.

Catherine

scriptkitten
02-20-2011, 12:04 AM
Where I live only some buses have a stroller space. If the bus doesn't have a stroller space, you have to fold the stroller. Even if the bus is completely empty, you still have to fold it and get it out of the aisle. It's a pain, but I understand why they do it.

i'm feeling really lucky then! folding the stroller would so not work with twinfants!

i would have had to put one in a back carrier and one in a stroller to even begin to manage that.

tobycat
02-21-2011, 04:08 PM
We don't go to indoor malls very often, but do frequent an outdoor shopping center (lifestyle center). We do take our Chariot Cougar. With the stroller attachment it is no very long and the swivel makes it very easy to maneuver. I have even gate checked it with no problems when we went to SF. There was no way I was going to walk around SF with an umbrella stroller.