PDA

View Full Version : Visual Disturbances

pinkmomagain
02-17-2011, 06:43 PM
I'm a mess. I've been fighting a virus and sinus infection for almost 2 weeks now. Today I popped a rib muscle coughing. I'm on an antibiotic. I've taken way too much Tylenol for the past 2 weeks on and off...because some type of headache has accompanied all this mess for the past couple of weeks (varying in intensity). So I am trying to lay off the Tylenol (allergic to motrin and asprin). So if all this wasn't enough, about a half hour ago I had some visual disturbances (Wavy lines and auras) that passed after about 15 minutes. I understand that a migraine could possibly follow. I am wondering if there is anything I can do to head it off (if it's coming) without pain meds. Any suggestions?

crl
02-17-2011, 06:55 PM
Chug caffeine. It wards off my migraines.

Hope you feel better soon.

Catherine

pinkmomagain
02-17-2011, 07:03 PM
Thanks, Catherine. Off to make a pot of coffee.

PAfirsttimemom
02-17-2011, 07:10 PM
I've had those visual auras, and when they happen, I hole up in a dark room and just rest for a while. I usually do pop some OTC pain med first, though, to cut down on the head pain that follows.

kdeunc
02-17-2011, 07:32 PM
A lot of times if I have a visual disturbance I do not get the pain. It will be an "aura only" headache. Hope you are feeling better.

Tondi G
02-17-2011, 08:21 PM
I get Aura with migraines that follow... usually just as the aura is lessening the pain in setting in. Dark room, cool towel, caffeine (this helps for some people, but not all), alternating tylenol and advil every 2 to 4 hours.

could call your doctor and ask for Immitrex, see if that helps. I haven't had a migraine in years but Immitrex did help with the last ones I had.

which antibiotic are you taking? Do you think your sinus infection has cleared? Maybe you need a different or stronger antibiotic? My ENT suggested getting Mucinex DM. He said it is great for thinning the mucus and controlling the cough.

ThreeofUs
02-17-2011, 10:33 PM
I'm late to this, but wanted to add my vote for hot, hot coffee with a tablespoon of sugar. Eliminates the visuals in 20 minutes or less.

Hope you're well!

pinkmomagain
02-18-2011, 09:16 AM
Thanks all. Had a headache last nite, but all seems OK today.

Special thanks to Tondi G -- that Mucinex DM is just what I needed! Made dh get it last nite. Really preventing me from coughing and also is drying me out...hopefully that will give my ribs the rest they need. Was orginially on Biaxin, but that stuff made my insides feel like razorblades, so Levaquin will just have to do.

dogmom
02-18-2011, 09:35 AM
You cold have gotten a post-Tylenol rebound headache. You can get them from aspirin & Motrin. If you tack a lot for a longer period of time you can get a headache when you stop or cut down.

pinkmomagain
02-18-2011, 09:45 AM
You cold have gotten a post-Tylenol rebound headache. You can get them from aspirin & Motrin. If you tack a lot for a longer period of time you can get a headache when you stop or cut down.

Yes! I suspected this could be a possibility which was why I didn't want to take it for last nite's headache.

PAfirsttimemom
02-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Yes! I suspected this could be a possibility which was why I didn't want to take it for last nite's headache.

I've also gotten migraines while taking antibiotics.