PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a guest rooom?

MacMacMoo
02-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Do you have a guest room? If so is it purely a guest room or a multipurpose room? if it's multipurpose what is the sleeping arrangement?

justlearning
02-17-2011, 07:24 PM
We have enough rooms that allows us to have a room fully dedicated to being a guest room. But it is the smallest bedroom and barely is large enough to squeeze in a queen bed and two small nightstands. We didn't want to use one of the bigger bedrooms because we rarely have guests.

It does have a walk-in closet that has a dresser in it, and that space also serves as my gift closet. I keep gifts for upcoming birthdays as well as wrapping paper, recycled gift bags, etc.

crl
02-17-2011, 07:41 PM
Yes. It is just a guest room right now. I am considering suggesting that we see about adding a desk to make it double as an office. But we have a queen in there and it is very small.

Catherine

KLD313
02-17-2011, 07:44 PM
I have a guestroom but it has no furniture in it. Currently I have all the Christmas stuff in it and some baby gear. I really don't plan on furnishing it because I don't want to encourage overnight guests.

lhafer
02-17-2011, 07:45 PM
We have enough rooms that allows us to have a room fully dedicated to being a guest room. But it is the smallest bedroom and barely is large enough to squeeze in a queen bed and two small nightstands. We didn't want to use one of the bigger bedrooms because we rarely have guests.

It does have a walk-in closet that has a dresser in it, and that space also serves as my gift closet. I keep gifts for upcoming birthdays as well as wrapping paper, recycled gift bags, etc.

:yeahthat:

This is us too, almost exactly! Except we have one nightstand, and the dresser is in the room. But the large closet is our catch-all closet.

All of our family lives out of town, so when they visit they need a place to stay. We moved into this house, and one of my must haves was a designated guest bedroom. And we lucked out because there's a guest bathroom attached to the bedroom.

LarsMal
02-17-2011, 07:52 PM
We had one in our previous house, but not this one. We had a finished attic so there was a bedroom, full bath and a family room. It was wonderful! Now our guests sleep in M's room when they visit and she sleeps with DH and me.

hillview
02-17-2011, 07:56 PM
Sort of, yes. DS2 sleeps in DS1's room. So we have DS2's room right now (at some point he will move back into his room I think. But we have a full size bed in that room and my sister and BIL stayed in it for several days over the holidays. It is a good size room. Right now that room holds DS2's clothes and geotrax but really it is not a highly used room at all (no one ever goes into it except for DS2's clothes). We also have an office on the second level (all other bedrooms for us are on the top level) which me and my parents use as an office but it has a pull out couch which isn't very comfy but is a good guest room for a night or 2.
/hillary

jellibeans
02-17-2011, 07:58 PM
I have a guestroom but it has no furniture in it. Currently I have all the Christmas stuff in it and some baby gear. I really don't plan on furnishing it because I don't want to encourage overnight guests.

:hysterical:

ellies mom
02-17-2011, 07:59 PM
Our playroom doubles as the guest room. There is a futon for sleeping, a TV and my dad can hang up his suits next to my daughter's princess dresses.

ETA- There is a full bathroom right next to the room that guests share with the girls.

Laurel
02-17-2011, 08:00 PM
Our "playroom" is a bedroom with a full bath attached that we use for guests- we have a blow-up mattress that we bring out. We don't have overnight guests often enough to dedicate the room full time, but I dream of having a beautiful girly guest room someday.

Karenn
02-17-2011, 08:13 PM
Our guest room is also where we keep our exercise equipment. We have a full bed, a dresser and then a stationary bike and an eliptical.

lchang25000
02-17-2011, 08:15 PM
We have 3 guest bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the basement that are only used when we have guests. Our family/play room is in the basement as well.

Pinky
02-17-2011, 08:43 PM
We have a dedicated guest room but like someone else said our family all lives out of town so they spend the night when they visit (a few times each month).

geophne
02-17-2011, 10:21 PM
We have a dedicated guest room, but we do use the closet for random storage. Our families are both out of town and stay with us when they visit.

SnuggleBuggles
02-17-2011, 10:25 PM
We used to. Alas, we don't have one in this house. But, when we had one it was a dedicated guest room though random stuff was in the closet.

Beth

LMPC
02-17-2011, 10:27 PM

Um, i think we live in the same house LOL! Right down to the gift closet!!!

WatchingThemGrow
02-17-2011, 10:35 PM
No, not really, but we have three options for guests.
1) laundry room/mudroom - one of my teaching buddies sleeps there when she visits 1x/yr. There's a futon, a table for 2, toys, a w/d plus all our shoes, coats, etc. There are roller shades in all 8 windows (including the ones that go into the kitchen.)
2)give guests our bedroom and we move into DD's full bed, bumping her to the trundle. We do this with my parents.
3) move DD to the boys' room on an aerobed and give her room up.

We have used the futon mattress on the living room floor when we've had a newborn and needed to be up every few hours, so that our guests could sleep undisturbed. We actually liked that arrangement a lot.

Having a guest room would likely encourage more frequent visitation by relatives who could lend us a hand. Now that traveling is such an ordeal, we would much rather them come to us.

niccig
02-17-2011, 10:39 PM
We don't have a guest room. We have a big living room with a pull out couch. We put the aerobed mattress on top of that. MIL says it's comfortable. DS has a full/twin bunk, so we could put him in the twin and guest underneath if it's just an over night stay.

Pear
02-17-2011, 10:42 PM
We have a guest room/my office and craft room. I may put a daybed with trundle eventually, but right now we have our old queen bed in there. The room is quite large (bigger than the master bedroom) and I don't work full-time so the room serving multiple roles works just fine.

maestramommy
02-17-2011, 10:53 PM
Yes, we do, but most of the time it's Laurel's room. When family or friends visit, Laurel sleeps in our office. We tried putting her with her sisters, but she got too excited and wouldn't go to sleep until way late. Maybe in another year we'll try again.

GaPeach_in_Ca
02-17-2011, 11:27 PM
Our 3rd bedroom is a "media room," with a futon, a tv on the wall, and our wii/PS2/xbox. Guests sleep on the futon. Works out nicely! :)

LexyLou
02-18-2011, 01:40 AM
Downstairs we have a bedroom with a full bath. We've made it our playroom but we have a trundle bed that doubles as a guest room. We don't really have a lot of guests now that we live close to family again and barely use it.

When we lived in NJ, we had a dedicated guest room since we had a lot of out of town visitors.

elephantmeg
02-18-2011, 05:30 AM
we will soon for a while. We're finishing our upstairs. Right now guests are sleeping in what will be the family room upstairs. When we finish the rest of it they'll sleep in what will be DS' room until he's ready to move upstairs (they share a room downstairs now and will until he is old enough to manage the whole ladder out the window if there is a fire thing) at which point I think when fam visits the kids will go together and visitors will take over DD's room (we inherited DH's grandma's furniture for DD and it has a double bed-DD was named for her). That's what we did growing up.

TwinFoxes
02-18-2011, 08:24 AM
Yes, we have a legal bedroom in our downstairs. It has a full size bed, side tables, an easy chair and most importantly a mirror! ;) (I always hate it when I stay somewhere and there's no mirror in the room...MIL!) There's a bath and shower down there too, which makes the guests happy. And it also has a boat load of crap in the closet. :)

MoJo
02-18-2011, 08:36 AM
For now we do, in that we have two bedrooms set up with full/queen beds. But right now, DH sleeps in one & his stuff fills that walk-in closet and bathroom, and I sleep in the other, with my desk and my stuff in that (non-walk-in) closet. The only time we've had an overnight guest was the week JellyBean was born.

It's set up so that the girls would currently share a room (at least there's a crib and a toddler bed in one bedroom. . . the reality is the toddler sleeps with me). I'm guessing sometime down the road, one girl will keep their room, and the other will get the room I'm currently in. . . and I'll move back in with DH!

I can't hear the girls from the room DH sleeps in (which is why he sleeps there) and I find that bed a lot less comfortable too (but he prefers it)

kijip
02-18-2011, 09:37 AM
Teeny legal bedroom with attached 1/2 bath. We have a loveseat in there that folds out into a bed. If more than 1 person stays over, they get to sleep in the living room. No one ever stays over except for my dad and the occasional friend. All out of town family is steered to a hotel.

mom2khj
02-18-2011, 09:53 AM
We did, until #3 came along. ;)

candaceb
02-18-2011, 10:07 AM
yes, and it doubles as my office. If we ever have a second kid, we'll no longer have a guest room. I had to laugh at the post upthread about not having a guest bedroom to keep visitors away - when we were looking at houses, we didn't look at anything that had an "in-law suite". We did NOT want to encourage prolonged visits! Now that my dad died, my mom is welcome to come and stay anytime for as long as she wants (my dad was a horrible miserable houseguest and he knew it). My MIL is also welcome, but she won't stay for more than a few days because she has to get home to her psychoanalyst... FIL would never stay for more than a couple of days. He came for less than 24 hours after DS was born because he wanted to get the rental car back before he'd have to pay for another day.

lowrioh
02-18-2011, 10:30 AM
We have 2 extra bedrooms. The larger one on the main bedroom floor we have set up for guests (queen bed) and the smaller one off of the family room is basically a room where we put stuff that doesn't have a better place to go. My craft sewing stuff is in there, the ebay stuff etc. It has a daybed that we use when we have extra guests. We also have a queen size futon in the playroom that we can use if we need to. So we can have six house guests without any problems.
We do get house guests a lot. My in-laws were just here for 4 weeks and my parents come down for an overnight at least once a month. My sister and her husband also come over to our house on the weekends and spend the night so they can drink and not have to worry about driving home. We have friends spread out all over the world and when they come to the US we want them to come and stay with us. Washington has a lot of tourist stuff so we have a lot of US friends who want to come for a low cost vacation.

indigo99
02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
We currently have one on the main floor. It has a walk-in closet that we use for storage. The room is furnished with furniture that I inherited and wouldn't want to part with so it's basically like storage too.

I've read that guestrooms are a waste of money. The amount that you pay to acquire and keep that empty room is far more than most people would ever pay to put their guests up in a nice hotel while visiting. However, IMO you usually want your guests to stay with you so that you can spend time together.

SpaceGal
02-18-2011, 02:06 PM
Our guest room will be a kids room once DD is old enough. Either my boys will take the guess room which is slightly bigger or my DD will. Either way, it's got a queen sized bed and is decently furnished for the guest we get once in a blue moon.

khalloc
02-18-2011, 02:28 PM
Yes. Our house has 4 bedrooms and the smallest is a dedicated guest room. It has a queen sized bed in it. Its not big enough to use it for another purpose as well.

ha98ed14
02-18-2011, 02:38 PM
We have a 3 BR house, but only one child, so yes, we have one. It's got a twin in it right now. I hope to replace that with a daybed w/ a trundle. It's also the smallest BR in out house. I can't bring myself to get a queen for it because it takes up nearly all the floor space. I figure a daybed (twin) with a trundle will do because most of the time, it's just MIL by herself, and if we needed to, two twins pushed together = king.

newg
02-18-2011, 02:55 PM
We have a guest room with a queen size bed. The room also serves as my craft room and I use the closet for storage (gifts and such).

lizzywednesday
02-18-2011, 03:01 PM
When DD arrived, our 2nd bedroom was re-purposed into her nursery.

katydid1971
02-18-2011, 03:28 PM
We have a 4 BR house. We use the 4th bedroom as an office/guest room. We have a daybed with a trundle. Our computer is kept in an armoire that we close up when we have guests so it feels less officey.

JoyNChrist
02-18-2011, 04:41 PM
We have 3 guest bedrooms and 2 bathrooms in the basement that are only used when we have guests. Our family/play room is in the basement as well.

Wow! Y'all must have a lot of guests!

We don't have a guest room. Pretty much all of our family live nearby. My mom stays over occasionally (like on holidays and stuff), and we have a convertible sofa in the living room that she sleeps on.

citymama
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM

OK, that is bigger than my entire home. Actually, make that the last two homes I've lived in combined!

Do you have family come and stay for extended periods? It must be so nice for your guests to have space! We actually do have family come and stay (like when DDs were born) but they've always been relegated to the living room couch. We'll be moving into a 3BR 2 BA soon and I plan to keep one BR as a study with a pull-out futon for guests, and have the kids share a room. It also has a family room where they can have their toys.

AnnieW625
02-18-2011, 06:04 PM
No, but we had one until we had DD2, now the guest room is DD1's room. We have a hide a bed though, but most people (mainly my parents) found a hotel near us they like so they just stay there.

smiles33
02-18-2011, 06:35 PM
We did until DD1 moved into it and it became her big girl room (after a makeover). I need to buy some sort of hide-a-bed/daybed/futon or maybe even just a regular queen bed for our den so we do have somewhere for guests to sleep. Our entire family lives within a 30 minute drive but SIL is in a PhD program out of town and occasionally crashes with us instead of her parents when she comes back to town. She sleeps on the sectional couch in the family room but our DDs wake up super early so I know that's not ideal for her.

artvandalay
02-18-2011, 06:44 PM
We have 4 bedrooms. Both boys have their own room. We had a guest room until my 3rd baby, now the guest room has been converted into her room.

Fairy
02-18-2011, 06:47 PM
Yes, we have a guest room. It's the smallest bedroom and it contains my twin canope bed as a kid and my matching desk & hutch. We use it quite a bit. We've had guests sleep there, and DS, DH, and myself routinely sleep there if someone's sick, or DS comes in our room at night and we just are too tired to deal, one of us will sometimes go refugee so we can get some sleep -- DS tends to sleep horizontal and it's just impossible. It's also become a refuge for boxes of old clothes and comforters that for whatever reason have to be taken off the bed. So, yep, we use it.